Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Freedom WiFi calling question

Feedback Score

Freedom WiFi calling question

I think wifi calling (unlicensed mobile access) is one the greatest features of cellular service.
    It allows a customer to go anywhere in the world and use the native features of their calling plan as if they were registered on a cell tower of their home network. I've used this feature on T-Mobile and AT&T's network.

I intend on using this feature if I purchase a Freedom Mobile branded handset soon.

The exact way in which this feature works seems to vary from network to network.

One particular nuance I am curious about on Freedom Mobile, when outside of Canada, is whether it is possible to disable the cellular radio on the handset in some way such that the handset will not register on a foreign cell tower yet still acquire service only over wifi.

I had one Nokia symbian handset several years ago that would not attempt to acquire service over wifi if the cell tower registration was disabled in any way. This to me seems to defeat the purpose of using UMA.

Can anyone currently using wifi calling on Freedom Mobile chime in and let me know how this works?

Thanks!
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

Device(s)
    Many
    Carrier(s)
    USA: Google Fi, Sprint, VZW, AT&T, OmniPoint
    Feedback Score
    I just realized this is Canadian Mobile provider Freedom, non FreedomPop - a US MVNO. You can disregard my posting below. Sorry about that!

I'm certainly no expert on this, but from my experience with Unreal Mobile (a sister adventure under FreedomPop), with my Samsung S5 I was able to put the phone in Airplane mode, go locate a WiFi, enable WiFi on phone and end up registering properly (and make/receive calls on Unreal).

Have you tried asking Freedom CS directly if this will work?

I found the Unreal CS to be very helpful with all of my technical questions when I evaluated their service.
    I am no longer using their service, as I found that SMS/MMS and Voice Mail did not work properly over WiFi, which was a deal killer for me.
    Last edited by NESiteSeer; 09-18-2018 at 10:27 AM.

Device(s)
    RIM9790
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I've just tried it...

From camping on VoWiFi with a cellular signal, I went to airplane mode.

I manually turned on Wi-Fi, and made sure that my GPS was still active.

It would not go to VoWiFi...

Turned off airplane mode, it registered on the cell network, then went to VoWiFi...

I'm unable to turn off the cellular radio without going to airplane mode, so I can't tell you if once you register, you can keep it active... (LG V30)

Sent from my LG-H933 using HoFo mobile app
    --------------------------------
    Un petit d'un petit
    S'étonne aux Halles
    Un petit d'un petit
    Ah! degrés te fallent

Old French Proverb from the book of; Mots D'Heures Gousses Rames

(I am the Stig!)

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It may be device dependant.
    I use vowifi all the time while in airplane mode. Saves battery from the phone trying to find a signal that isn't there.
    It's enabled that way right now, in fact.
    LG V20.

You can also just manually select the home network before you leave and it won't matter if the radio is active or not, it should just go to no service vs connect to a roaming partner.
    Also how I do it all the time.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Yes you can disable cell connection and then enable WiFi connection

I still think this is a bug since having a signal is what you are not supposed to be able to do
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    I have had problems when roaming outside of North America with my Freedom Mobile service.

I set transfer of all calls unconditionally to voicemail. This is supposed to avoid any voice call roaming charges when registered on a cell tower, particularly when someone leaves you a voicemail.

It has been my general experience that if unconditional transfer of calls to voicemail is not set and someone calls while you are outside North America and you do not pick up the call, you will still get charged per minute of voice roaming that someone leaves a voicemail message.

Unfortunately, Freedom Mobile sometimes charges voice roaming minutes even when you have set to unconditionally forward voice calls to voicemail. They been stubborn about not willing to remove these charges that seem erroneous. They either deny the unconditional forwarding was set or other erroneous explanation as to why these charges are justified.

So instead of trying to use SMS only while roaming outside North America, I can only avoid Freedom Mobile's sloppy billing practices by just not using my Freedom Mobile SIM at all while outside North America.

Now that FM has wifi calling in place, I am tempted to buy a branded phone and use wifi calling. But this only works if I can avoid registering on a cell tower at all while setting the phone to acquire service over wifi when outside North America.

The responses are appreciated. I will need to buy a handset from FM and use it over a few days over wifi. If I am unable to avoid registering on a cell tower while using the wifi calling feature, then I can return the handset for a refund and discontinue using the feature.

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Yes you can disable cell connection and then enable WiFi connection

I still think this is a bug since having a signal is what you are not supposed to be able to do
    It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    All phones disable all wireless radios when enabling airplane mode.
    You can then consciously turn on individual radios, except the cell radio (unless you have custom rom that enables this)

Device(s)
    iPhone X & Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    Telus + Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lewl View Post
    You can then consciously turn on individual radios, except the cell radio (unless you have custom rom that enables this)
    Why would you want to enable Cell Radio AFTER turning ON Airplane mode?

Thats the whole point of it because you can disable all other radio's manually as is such as BT/WiFi....only one that you cannot turn OFF is the Cell Radio, so Airplane Mode does that...I dont know why anyone would create that feature into a ROM unless they were bored lol...
    Join me on Telegram https://t.me/Samshares

Telus: $67/20GB Can-US Plan
    Freedom: $30/8GB Can-US (2400 Minutes/1GB)

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lewl View Post
    On my phone it was def bugged
    Even in posts above you can see it is bug
    Since works sometimes other times no

And airplane mode should be silent
    No signals at all
    That is entire point of it

Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Samshares View Post
    Why would you want to enable Cell Radio AFTER turning ON Airplane mode?

Thats the whole point of it because you can disable all other radio's manually as is such as BT/WiFi....only one that you cannot turn OFF is the Cell Radio, so Airplane Mode does that...I dont know why anyone would create that feature into a ROM unless they were bored lol...
    You misunderstand. Custom ROMs give you full control over all the radios individually.
    "Airplane mode" is just a command that says ALL OFF.
    As airplanes now allow connections even during flight, the entire "airplane mode" function is useless. Better to offer toggles for each radio individually and let the user decide what is on or off for themselves.
    i.e. without needing to go ALL OFF (airplane), WIFI ON, BLUETOOTH ON, NFC ON could just toggle CELL OFF and get the same effect.
    In such a world there would be no airplane mode at all.

Device(s)
    Oneplus 6, Blackview BV9500, Umidigi A5 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have two phones purchased on Aliexpress. They are all work with Freedom Mobile VoWiFi and 4G network.

UMIDIGI A5 Pro - CAD$130
    Blackview BV9500 - CAD$350

They are all works with Freedom Mobile LTE and VoWiFi.

I guess Freedom mobile want to make money from your pocket and they sell you the expensive cellphone. I would not buy any phone from the carrier.
    ----------------------------
    check my feedback at : http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16978

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Also, you must register your phone number for WiFi calling.

https://myaccount.freedommobile.ca/d...i-registration

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leungda View Post
    I have two phones purchased on Aliexpress. They are all work with Freedom Mobile VoWiFi and 4G network.

UMIDIGI A5 Pro - CAD$130
    Blackview BV9500 - CAD$350

They are all works with Freedom Mobile LTE and VoWiFi.

I guess Freedom mobile want to make money from your pocket and they sell you the expensive cellphone. I would not buy any phone from the carrier.
    Does A5 Pro also get VoLTE on Freedom? Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The A5 supports VoLTE. I talked to UMIDIGI. They send me a video to prove that A5 supports VoLTE. The UMIDIGI tech support also said the SIM CARD must be enabled the VoLTE. I guess there is something to do with Freedom Mobile.

Some people purchased the Samsung phone from Freedom that supports VoLTE. They cannot make it work. Finally, freedom sends them a Simcard. plug and play and work instantly. I "GUESS" freedom needs to enable VoLTE on your account with the new simcard.

As before, Freedom closed the VoWiFi for all other phones. It only works with freedom phone. Now, Freedom opened the feature for all non freedom phone. I guess same thing.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by leungda View Post
    The A5 supports VoLTE. I talked to UMIDIGI. They send me a video to prove that A5 supports VoLTE. The UMIDIGI tech support also said the SIM CARD must be enabled the VoLTE. I guess there is something to do with Freedom Mobile.

Some people purchased the Samsung phone from Freedom that supports VoLTE. They cannot make it work. Finally, freedom sends them a Simcard. plug and play and work instantly. I "GUESS" freedom needs to enable VoLTE on your account with the new simcard.

As before, Freedom closed the VoWiFi for all other phones. It only works with freedom phone. Now, Freedom opened the feature for all non freedom phone. I guess same thing.

Not really. My OnePlus 6T definitely supports VoLTE and WiFi calling. My SIM card is also provisioned for both features; however, none of them works on my 6T.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast