Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: 5G Ultra Wideband Speed Test Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    Well I get it. But on a smartphone I’m good with the LTE speeds. Plenty of good speed for a smartphone. Yea you mention capacity but again my LTE are plenty good for streaming etc.

I would definitely be interested in 5G home internet if I couldn’t get the likes of FiOS and Xfinity that’s a different story. I can get FiOS or Xfinity so I’m not too interested in 5G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once again it's not just about speed. Also how long is your "just fine" speed goign to last if Verizon just keeps using just LTE?

You maybe be fine with you plan but if the were better you wouldn't want that?

Device(s)
    Pixel 5, Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I was surprised to see how well 39 GHz penetrates glass. Sitting in my car, tower was roughly 400 ft away.

Name:  20201124-1457.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  20201124-1415.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  41.3 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    I was surprised to see how well 39 GHz penetrates glass. Sitting in my car, tower was roughly 400 ft away.

Name:  20201124-1457.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  32.8 KB

Name:  20201124-1415.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  41.3 KB
    Which market are you in? Thatís 37 GHz from the recent auction !

Device(s)
    Pixel 5, Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Which market are you in? Thatís 37 GHz from the recent auction !
    Phoenix, AZ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    Which market are you in? That’s 37 GHz from the recent auction !
    "37 GHz" is part of the 39 GHz band

Feedback Score

5G Ultra Wideband Speed Test Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Once again it's not just about speed. Also how long is your "just fine" speed goign to last if Verizon just keeps using just LTE?

You maybe be fine with you plan but if the were better you wouldn't want that?
    The point is for me Iím not concerned about it because like I said how much speed do I need for my iPhone 12. Give me letís say a consistent 7-10 Mbps all day and everywhere on my iPhone 12 thatís all I need. All I want is letís say be able to stream YouTube TV with no problem when Iím on my smartphone.

And like I said I would want that if it had to do with home internet and didnít have access to wired home internet.

Feedback Score
    The point is for me Iím not concerned about it because like I said how much speed do I need for my iPhone 12. Give me letís say a consistent 7-10 Mbps all day and everywhere on my iPhone 12 thatís all I need. All I want is letís say be able to stream YouTube TV with no problem when Iím on my smartphone.

And like I said I would want that if it had to do with home internet and didnít have access to wired home internet.

Well most people need more than that. Also not sure what's the point of getting an iPhone 12 if that's all you need. Anyway even ithat's all Verizon was concerned about was providing a max of 10 Mbps in some areas their current spectrum would allow true unlimited data at that speed but in a lot of other areas no sot much

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I really do understand what you say when all you really need is 10 Mbps of an LTE connection and you can do pretty much anything streaming wise (minus 4K) with no buffering. I know for me doing things like web browsing and streaming the difference between a mmWave and a LTE connection isnít huge but it is slightly noticeable (mainly because of the lower latency which causes web pages to respond slightly quicker). Now if If Iím in a highly congested area the difference is night and day. In one area near me congestion can be so bad on a particular street that LTE speeds can be less than 1 Mbps but low band 5G still hits 8-10 Mbps with no issues giving me a constant experience. So with low band 5G you wonít see those blazing speeds but you will see a more consistent experience.

The issue is not as much now but more in the future. Use of data over cellular (both LTE and 5G) had exploded over the years and will only continue to increase. With low band 5G you wonít see the big speed increases but you will get capacity increases giving more people the ability to get that 10Mbps of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Attachment 167248

Earlier today while being driven down the highway at 80 mph, I encountered a 5G signal despite being in area where it officially hasnít been deployed yet. I bet itíd have been even faster if Iíd been stationary!
    Probably not, it wasnít UWB

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ah yes. Oops. Wrong thread. Will correct now.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Name:  37CD2494-116A-4BA2-B5AA-64C731E5899C.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  28.1 KB

60 mph on the highway through a major downtown area. I was surprised that it held on long enough for a speed test!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInPa View Post
    I really do understand what you say when all you really need is 10 Mbps of an LTE connection and you can do pretty much anything streaming wise (minus 4K) with no buffering. I know for me doing things like web browsing and streaming the difference between a mmWave and a LTE connection isnít huge but it is slightly noticeable (mainly because of the lower latency which causes web pages to respond slightly quicker). Now if If Iím in a highly congested area the difference is night and day. In one area near me congestion can be so bad on a particular street that LTE speeds can be less than 1 Mbps but low band 5G still hits 8-10 Mbps with no issues giving me a constant experience. So with low band 5G you wonít see those blazing speeds but you will see a more consistent experience.

The issue is not as much now but more in the future. Use of data over cellular (both LTE and 5G) had exploded over the years and will only continue to increase. With low band 5G you wonít see the big speed increases but you will get capacity increases giving more people the ability to get that 10Mbps of speed.

Ok I get that and your point is definitely Ďconvincingí. However I would prefer a solid 5G nationwide network just like a solid LTE network vs a network mm wave network.

I would assume a nationwide 5G network would help with congestion vs mm wave?

Device(s)
    Pixel 5, Pixel 2 XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Name:  37CD2494-116A-4BA2-B5AA-64C731E5899C.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  28.1 KB

60 mph on the highway through a major downtown area. I was surprised that it held on long enough for a speed test!
    That's really good to see. It held for roughly 2200 feet, assuming a speed test takes 25 seconds and 60 mph is 88 ft/s. Still early days for mmW but that kinda demonstrates it's not just for parking lots.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dffdce View Post
    That's really good to see. It held for roughly 2200 feet, assuming a speed test takes 25 seconds and 60 mph is 88 ft/s. Still early days for mmW but that kinda demonstrates it's not just for parking lots.
    Sounds about right . A friend of mine in NYC was able to pull over a gig at the .4 mile mark. It was LOS though but still thatís impressive . Some equipment can push more range than others

Feedback Score
    Mercedes Benz of Pittsburgh Baum Blvd

Name:  IMG_1007.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  13.7 KB

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast