Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Using GV instead of Hangouts?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I did a factory reset on my ZTE zFive2 to try to fix an annoying browser issue and afterwards decided to try Messenger on the phone as an alternative to Hangouts or GV. I've never used it before. It said it works with WiFi so I associated my GV number with it as the phone number when it asked for one. Then tried to send a text to one of my other phones that is activated and the text never came. Then I tried to call the other phone's number and got some sort of help desk that asked me to choose Tracfone or a TF mvno instead of my own cellphone.

One of the creepy things is when I tried to text my own cell number, Messenger pulled up other people's names, complete strangers and I was thinking what if they do that with my contact info. So I uninstalled it. Too bad because it at first looked like it might be similar to Hangouts.
    What is "Messenger"? Are you talking about FB Messenger?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    @wheelieboot:

One of the things you need to watch out for is use of proper terminology.

When you're using an Instant Messaging (IM) chat app (such as Facebook Messenger), you're sending a message, not a "text".

Also, "Messenger" is a product name that a few other companies use in their chat apps, so good to refer to Facebook's (if this is what you have) as FB Messenger or the full name, at least at the beginning of a discussion, to establish the context.

Facebook lets people with or without accounts use that app by associating their names with their given phone number, so when you're entering a phone number in the search field it'll start pulling up numbers of people you don't know. That's a feature, not a bug (ha-ha).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    @wheelieboot:

One of the things you need to watch out for is use of proper terminology.

When you're using an Instant Messaging (IM) chat app (such as Facebook Messenger), you're sending a message, not a "text".

Also, "Messenger" is a product name that a few other companies use in their chat apps, so good to refer to Facebook's (if this is what you have) as FB Messenger or the full name, at least at the beginning of a discussion, to establish the context.

Facebook lets people with or without accounts use that app by associating their names with their given phone number, so when you're entering a phone number in the search field it'll start pulling up numbers of people you don't know. That's a feature, not a bug (ha-ha).
    The blue icon on my phone just said Messenger with a little zip or lightning bolt on it and I ran setup on it. I did see where it asked if I wanted to associate it with my facebook account but I've never had one so I said no. I would say it probably was FB messenger. I don't need nor want public or group messaging, just one on one messaging to text or call one person at a time. I saw Messenger Lite on Google Play but it also seems to have the same feature s as the other one including invites between strangers. So I will keep looking.

The first stranger they pulled up on the contacts list was a guy with an image of the devil next to his contact info.

😈

Device(s)
    sony xperia
    Feedback Score
    Google is doing this sort of thing alot with their services, re puposing, its like webmaster, adwords and i bet google plus will also get made to do something else.

Coming back to your topic, google voice anf hangouts i read are under some scrutiny as your voice search calls and commands are stored with google, to help them i guess with advertisng, if you dont mind this sort of thing then never mind. I think however we need to start questioning just how far how much about ourselves we let thiese people know. Google knows more about me than my countries own government does.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    From May 20, 2013:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2039...tegration.html

In a post on Google+ Monday (shown below), Google product manager Nikhyl Singhal called Hangouts the "future of Google Voice."
    Why are you dwelling on 2013 Google?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2