Thread: What flip phone ( new or used) will work on TMO 3G - 4G LTE

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score

What flip phone ( new or used) will work on TMO 3G - 4G LTE

Hi

I am on the old Pay as you go plan , I had a Motorola flip phone that was lost and when I tried to replace it with the same model Motorola they said the new sim card would not support the old 2G phone

So what can I replace it with ?

the Alcatel-Lucent Go Flip has a horrible rating on T mobiles website , so what do I do ?

All I need is for it to ring loud , vibrate since its in my cargo pants pocket, call and send Text messages

It can be a used from Ebay

Any ideas ? or if you have had good luck with the Alcatel-Lucent Go Flip phone please let me know,

Thanks for your advise
    Last edited by trackVW; 09-23-2018 at 09:47 AM.
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    .... they said the new sim card would not support the old 2G phone....
    I doubt it. There could be some issue with the contact footprint but the SIM is not technology-specific. Now, getting a 2G phone these days is like trying to buy a Model T Ford. T-Mobile is not expanding 2G coverage and in some places barely maintaining what already exists. LTE is the way to go.

Now the bad news. I used the "Phone Finder" search function on GSMarena.com to look for flip phones that support LTE bands 2, 4 & 12 and came up with nothing. Even searching for just LTE band 2 & 4 came up with nothing. There may be a phone like you want but I don't know of it.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I have an alcatel go flip, the current t-mobile offering.
    It has 2g, 3g, 4g, lte 2, 4 and 12. Also has volte and wifi calling. Threaded texting, good sound quality and battery life; also has a browser just in case; email app with imap or pop3.

The only thing that annoys me with this phone is that the screen doesnt stay in 100% brightness; it goes down to 20% very often.. thats the only thing. Expect no app store, is not android which for me is super... it run on kaiOS.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    I'm using an unlocked Samsung rugby 2 and 3 with an tm mvno, us mobile. I'm aware it doesn't have the newest bands of my stylo 4,but in my area their reception is equal. Not pushing us mobile, but for low volumn talk text,rates are hard to beat,as low as $5 month. These phones are avail ebay for $10, will need a $2 unlock,also ebay. They are my current throw away phones, ie on water etc, with Google voice forwarding.no lte.

Feedback Score
    Alcatel is known to be a lowball poor quality brand. So the problems with the unit aren't surprising, unfortunately.

Getting a flip phone today is like trying to get an 8-track player, and finding out that you don't have brands like Nakamichi or Marantz, but instead only Emerson and K-Mart.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Alcatel is known to be a lowball poor quality brand. So the problems with the unit aren't surprising, unfortunately.

Getting a flip phone today is like trying to get an 8-track player, and finding out that you don't have brands like Nakamichi or Marantz, but instead only Emerson and K-Mart.
    I agree that I am looking for a modern Dinosaur , and thats not easy with the bands that TMO uses ,

I loved my old Motorola , it did its simple job well , calls and text and long battery life ,

I am just hoping there are more choices than the Alcatel-Lucent Go Flip ,

So if you have any more ideas please let me know,

Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    I have an alcatel go flip, the current t-mobile offering.
    can you tell me how loud the ringer is, and does it vibrate ?

Thanks for the info

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    The ringtone is ok, i can hear it. You can also maybe download some mp3 or wav ringtones and use those intead. It does vibrate.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    The ringtone is ok, i can hear it. You can also maybe download some mp3 or wav ringtones and use those intead. It does vibrate.
    thanks for the info , there does not seem to be much choice , I have the sim in an old Nexus 4 right now , it works but battery life is short , and since I do not use it for data the big screen just eats up the battery....

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk BYOP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Hi

I am on the old Pay as you go plan , I had a Motorola flip phone that was lost and when I tried to replace it with the same model Motorola they said the new sim card would not support the old 2G phone

So what can I replace it with ?

the Alcatel-Lucent Go Flip has a horrible rating on T mobiles website , so what do I do ?

All I need is for it to ring loud , vibrate since its in my cargo pants pocket, call and send Text messages

It can be a used from Ebay

Any ideas ? or if you have had good luck with the Alcatel-Lucent Go Flip phone please let me know,

Thanks for your advise
    OK whoever told you that your phone wasn't supported is an idiot! If the new t-mobile sim is nano (smallest sim size) then all you need is an adapter to make it into the normal sim size and you should be able to continue using the phone that you already have... This is why you should never go into the store for things like that because there only there to sell you the latest and greatest.
    "Oh Peter I absolutely love what you've done with the place... It's so sterile, so bland, so wonderful!"

Queen Latifah

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Netboy76 View Post
    If the new t-mobile sim is nano (smallest sim size) then all you need is an adapter to make it into the normal sim size
    There are T-Mobile SIM's that are sold on Amazon that have the adapters included for all three sizes:

https://www.amazon.com/T-Mobile-Prep...s=t-mobile+sim

You just add it to the account.

I haven't heard that they won't work with 2G either.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Netboy76 View Post
    OK whoever told you that your phone wasn't supported is an idiot! If the new t-mobile sim is nano (smallest sim size) then all you need is an adapter to make it into the normal sim size and you should be able to continue using the phone that you already have... This is why you should never go into the store for things like that because there only there to sell you the latest and greatest.
    Unfortunately, while an adapter will make the sim fit properly, it will not work with the phone. I went through this with my parents and the samsung 2g phone would not work with a new sim properly fitted with an adapter. It showed no signal. Both my parents have the same phone and I could swap the 2g sim from one to the other and they would work fine. But the 4g sim would not work in either.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstoic View Post
    Unfortunately, while an adapter will make the sim fit properly, it will not work with the phone. I went through this with my parents and the samsung 2g phone would not work with a new sim properly fitted with an adapter. It showed no signal. Both my parents have the same phone and I could swap the 2g sim from one to the other and they would work fine. But the 4g sim would not work in either.
    I'm repeating my reply from above, but I'm currently using s Samsung Rugby, of which I've used several over the last few years, currently on a Tm mnvo. Although I typically use adapters of from various sources, including metro and the mvno, with the Rugby, I've learned how to position even a nano SIM into the correct operating position in the phones Sim slot without an adapter. At one time I checked what bands were supposed to work where, but really don't care at present, since these phones currently work with both my us mobile number and my cricket number. I admit I've not tried it with a pure Tm line, so can't advise about that.

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I'm repeating my reply from above, but I'm currently using s Samsung Rugby, of which I've used several over the last few years, currently on a Tm mnvo. Although I typically use adapters of from various sources, including metro and the mvno, with the Rugby, I've learned how to position even a nano SIM into the correct operating position in the phones Sim slot without an adapter. At one time I checked what bands were supposed to work where, but really don't care at present, since these phones currently work with both my us mobile number and my cricket number. I admit I've not tried it with a pure Tm line, so can't advise about that.
    The difference might be that the Rubgy has HSDPA and the phones that my parents were using were GSM and 2G only. It would be interesting to see what frequencies that phone was connecting on. I tried a lot of sim positioning just to screw around and waste time, but there did not appear any position that it could seat to give signal. I even tried in a couple of even older Motorola flips we had laying around and we could not get the phone to have signal on any of them.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I'm using an unlocked Samsung rugby 2 and 3 with an tm mvno, us mobile. I'm aware it doesn't have the newest bands of my stylo 4,but in my area their reception is equal. Not pushing us mobile, but for low volumn talk text,rates are hard to beat,as low as $5 month. These phones are avail ebay for $10, will need a $2 unlock,also ebay. They are my current throw away phones, ie on water etc, with Google voice forwarding.no lte.
    Wait the Samsung Rugby 3 is a 2012 flip phone that AT&T sold that only supports Band's 1, 2 & 5. Unless you live in Myrtle Beach where T-Mobile uses Band 5 the only Band it supports on T-Mobile is Band 2 with GSM. It doesn't even have LTE. Anyone that is using that phone on T-Mobile deserves bad service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast