Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: time to switch main carrier... Verizon prepaid suggestions?

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    There is no longer any specific speed cap with PPC, and there is no specific LTE limit, except possibly an account review at 60BG used within 30 days as noted above. Actual speed/performance will depend on how good the Vzw network/towers are in your area, and whether or not those Vzw towers are congested.
    Ok that's good to know they don't have the 20gb of 4G LTE data cap before unlimited 2G and their not capped at 5mbps download speed.. I might go with them then they seem like the best option

And yes Verizon in some places I visit is really the only or best service that's available....

On another note does Verizon's own $75 prepaid unlimited have the 20gb of 4G LTE before unlimited 2G cap or does it only have deprioritization? also is download speed throttled to 5mbps or less or do they give you speeds as fast as the tower can deliver?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    all right after speaking to Verizon and Paige Plus and straight talk there is no plan on the market for an Android phone that doesn't have the 20GB of 4G LTE before unlimited 2G data cap on prepaid verizon plans every single unlimited Verizon prepaid plan and carriers even Verizon's own prepaid has that cap which sucks since not only is Verizon post paid expensive (but I can live with that) but I don't qualify for it in the first place and need prepaid as Verizon doesn't have no credit check post paid yet... thanks for all the help guys but I'll stay with us mobile and wait for visible wireless to release Android support and see where I can go from there as they are the only option so far without that cap

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    all right after speaking to Verizon and Paige Plus and straight talk there is no plan on the market for an Android phone that doesn't have the 20GB of 4G LTE before unlimited 2G data cap on prepaid verizon plans every single unlimited Verizon prepaid plan and carriers even Verizon's own prepaid has that cap which sucks since not only is Verizon post paid expensive (but I can live with that) but I don't qualify for it in the first place and need prepaid as Verizon doesn't have no credit check post paid yet... thanks for all the help guys but I'll stay with us mobile and wait for visible wireless to release Android support and see where I can go from there as they are the only option so far without that cap
    I'd be surprised if that info is correct. Maybe someone will come along that has either the PPC or ST unlimited plan that can comment?

Feedback Score
    I don't have any options for cable or DSL, it's satellite (which is last resort), US Cellular, Verizon, or a regional cell carrier for home Internet, that's it. I use the regional carrier's home internet, I average 2.5 meg down with that. I decided to supplement my home Internet with a cell phone plan (mainly because the home internet goes down at times). I had Tracfone for most of 18 years and got by on less than the one year plans, rarely adding additional data. I still have a basic flip phone on Page Plus. Last December US Mobile offered 50% off for 6 months on their "unlimited" plan, so I decided to do that. Wasn't really impressed with anything they offered after the price went up. So, I went with Verizon prepaid unlimited for now. I got a bunch of $40 refill cards on ebay during their last 15% off sale, ended up about $20 each. So, about $40 spent per month bought $80 worth of refills and pays for the $75 plan with $5 left over. I am going a bit ~crazy downloading *cough* videos *cough* this first month, haven't watched any yet. I honestly won't do it after this first month with the stockpile I have (don't get much time to watch anything). Currently sitting at 47GB of use. I'm 10 miles from the Verizon tower, behind trees, and using a cell signal booster. Speed tests are 13-18.5 down, 3 to 4 up at all times so far (8am, noon, 7-9pm, midnight, etc.), pings around 29ms, with worse than -100 dBm signal. Hotspot is consistently 600kbps+ and very snappy. Other than heavier pages loading content a bit slower, not much different web browsing versus home internet. I don't plan on streaming video much after this "stress test" (when working properly, my home internet streams HD just fine). VPN works fine if I wanted to do that. After a month or two I'll likely drop to the $40 plan anyway. I know in other areas it wouldn't work as well, but I have no complaints so far.

Last I heard/read/looked, PP or ST do not slow down speeds after 20GB (or ever, other than checking your usage). I was also thinking Visible, but don't have an Iphone, don't want one. Also, I don't think I like their "spying" policy, but didn't look into it much. They do have higher pings, not an issue for me, but it is for some. Anyway, what I got isn't any higher (for now).

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'd be surprised if that info is correct. Maybe someone will come along that has either the PPC or ST unlimited plan that can comment?
    With the economics of MVNOs buying data/minutes from the big carriers, it would be hard to economically offer "true" unlimited. It is possible that the plans that review it at 60GB are possibly losing money even at that usage. So an occasional month up to that or more is a loss that is made up on months usage is 20 or 30GB.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    True... I'm willing to pay the price for my phone... Just Verizon won't give up data to someone willing to pay which is sad but none the less I'm gonna give page plus a try and see what happens...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Just bit the bullet and decided on Page Plus Cellular... I'll keep the usage under 60GB to not get flagged but i want to see if the 20GB 4G LTE cap is in place so i'll use more then 20GB in my testing and see if I get throttled back to around 64-128kbps for the rest of the month and if it's true I'll still switch to them since it's cheaper then US Mobile for the same speeds and towers.. wish me luck and thanks for all the help... PPC is what i'm going with at this time until visible goes android or Verizon comes out with no credit check post paid

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Honest question, how would someone go about using 60gb a month on a cellphone??? I'm guessing ya gotta be streaming a ton of video and using cell data as your only source of Wifi?? I have to really work hard to get through 2gb per month and can't seem to even get close to my 5gb cap!!
    I stream 20 easy, 60 for me is hard, it depends on the person.

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    You can always look on Ebay and rent a Verizon Unlimited plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    You can always look on Ebay and rent a Verizon Unlimited plan.

I might check into it and see if I can rent even the current go unlimited data plan from someone as I don't care about download speed caps I just care about it being unlimited with no unlimited 2G cap.. I can always use Google voice and forward my number...

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    all right after speaking to Verizon and Paige Plus and straight talk there is no plan on the market for an Android phone that doesn't have the 20GB of 4G LTE before unlimited 2G data cap on prepaid verizon plans every single unlimited Verizon prepaid plan and carriers even Verizon's own prepaid has that cap
    I think even the reps are confused between the difference of throttling vs deprioritized. There are 2G data caps after using LTE on plans that advertise a fixed amount of LTE data, but not on plans that offer 'unlimited' LTE data.

The 20GB limit on unlimited plans refers to the fact that you may be deprioritized after 20GB temporarily, only if there is congestion on the tower. Many people don't often encounter it because their tower is not congested. Also, even if they are deprioritized, it will be slower but not necessarily all the way down to 2G speeds, and again it is only temporarily, while the tower is congested. Once a tower is no longer congested, you are back to full LTE speeds.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    I think even the reps are confused between the difference of throttling vs deprioritized. There are 2G data caps after using LTE on plans that advertise a fixed amount of LTE data, but not on plans that offer 'unlimited' LTE data.

The 20GB limit on unlimited plans refers to the fact that you may be deprioritized after 20GB temporarily, only if there is congestion on the tower. Many people don't often encounter it because their tower is not congested. Also, even if they are deprioritized, it will be slower but not necessarily all the way down to 2G speeds, and again it is only temporarily, while the tower is congested. Once a tower is no longer congested, you are back to full LTE speeds.
    There are prepaid unlimited Verizon data plans that state that after you use 20GB of 4G LTE you WILL be intentionally throttled to 2G speeds for the remainder of the month not slowed down (deprioritization)... They call them unlimited because technically they are but after 20GB your speed will be between 64 and 128kbps the entire time until the next month... Credo, US Mobile and Xfinity mobile to name a few state that on their site before ordering...

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Well I know for sure that the Xfinity Mobile $45 unlimited plan is a bit different than others, in that they specifically state that after 20GB you will get 1.5 Mbs/sec (but nothing about as slow as 2G speeds).

Anyway, I think PagePlus is a good choice, and I doubt you will see 2G speeds after 20GB.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mframe View Post
    Well I know for sure that the Xfinity Mobile $45 unlimited plan is a bit different than others, in that they specifically state that after 20GB you will get 1.5 Mbs/sec (but nothing about as slow as 2G speeds).

Anyway, I think PagePlus is a good choice, and I doubt you will see 2G speeds after 20GB.
    I believe it might have been spectrum mobile not Xfinity mobile then... I'm gonna try out page plus and even if they have the 20gb cap I'll stick with them since I'm saving money anyways....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2