Thread: Vastly improved voice quality

Feedback Score

Vastly improved voice quality

Has anyone else noticed vastly improved voice quality lately? I have always found Sprint voice quality lacking but lately I have noticed that I don't mind it anymore. The other day I was talking to my wife and was blown away by the crystal clear voice quality, despite having pretty weak signal on my end. That was obviously HD Voice.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Rival
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been getting HD Voice for the last couple months. It only works when calling another Sprint customer, but it is quite noticeable.

Supposedly this has been available for a couple years when a strong enough signal was available, but I'm not sure I buy that - I never got it before, then all of a sudden one day I get it every time.

It's not VoLTE - the phone clearly shows 1x during the call.

Feedback Score
    They are tuning up large parts of the voice network for VoLTE and 5G.
    This can certainly benefit non-VoLTE users as well.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    They are tuning up large parts of the voice network for VoLTE and 5G.
    This can certainly benefit non-VoLTE users as well.
    Has Sprint given us any clue as to when they plan to turn up 5G and in which cities?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Has Sprint given us any clue as to when they plan to turn up 5G and in which cities?
    Yes:

"In the first half of 2019 we plan to launch mobile 5G in nine markets initially – Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Los Angeles, New York City, Phoenix and Washington, D.C."

http://investors.sprint.com/news-and...m/default.aspx

I see the "5G Upgrade" being scheduled on maintenance schedules in cities other than those as well.
    Last edited by comintel; 10-12-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    HD voice has been available since around 2012 if you had the right handsets. I know plenty of people on Sprint so I’ve always had it on and off — that said, it was available Sprint to Sprint only, and both towers (that each party was connected to) had to support it.

I will say I’ve noticed it a lot more lately as well — I think WiFi calling is compatible across carriers now, so I tend to get it a lot more if my phone is connected to WiFi. Also, with a lot of voice now on 800, it’s easier to get the signal strength required for HD voice — there’s a certain threshold where it would kick in, and requires a fairly strong signal which is easier to achieve with 800.

Sprint’s version of HD voice is based on CDMA 1x, whereas everyone else’s implementation, including Verizon is with the AMR codec which VoLTE and all GSM providers use...

N