Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Here is Who is bidding on the next two FCC mmWave Auctions

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Here is Who is bidding on the next two FCC mmWave Auctions

Verizon already owns almost 70% of the 28 Ghz spectrum in the auction # 101. The only thing left in the 28 Ghz Auction is in rural areas. AT&T owns I think about 30% of the 24 Ghz but there is still a lot of good spectrum metro areas for sale in Auction 102. The 28 GHz auction is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, Nov. 14. The 24 GHz auction, which will be scheduled to begin after the conclusion of bidding in the 28 GHz auction.

This is the current owners of the spectrum in 28 Ghz through 31 Ghz. Sorry can't find just the 28 Ghz but still searching.

Here’s who is bidding in the FCC’s first-ever millimeter-wave spectrum auctions
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shilohcane; 10-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Wow so Verizon is planning to bid on both as is AT&T.

T-Mobile better bid hard. They're going against deep pockets.

Who is hiding behind the name of Starry Spectrum Holdings?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post

I just don't see either Sprint or T-Mobile spending a lot on the first 28 GHz mmWave spectrum (Auction 101) that is almost all rural. No one is going to deploy mmWave outside of medium to large cities that are spectrum starved. Now the #102 Auction with 24 Ghz is where T-Mobile should spend a chunk of money. Wish that the merger with Sprint and T-Mobile was done since they are going to be bidding against each other and they aren't allowed to coordinate their bidding.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Do you guys think the device ecosystem will be ready next year in time to accommodate 24 GHz 5G devices?

I see some manufacturers supporting 29/39 GHz and possibly 600 MHz for 5G in 2019 but once again we'll likely see fractured carrier support when it comes to the heavily anticipated Apple devices who start their device life cycle early in the year.

Also: I know Sprint and T-Mobile continue to operate independently but could they joint bid for the 24 GHz band?

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    I just don't see either Sprint or T-Mobile spending a lot on the first 28 GHz mmWave spectrum (Auction 101) that is almost all rural. No one is going to deploy mmWave outside of medium to large cities that are spectrum starved. Now the #102 Auction with 24 Ghz is where T-Mobile should spend a chunk of money. Wish that the merger with Sprint and T-Mobile was done since they are going to be bidding against each other and they aren't allowed to coordinate their bidding.
    Those are all good points.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Comcast, Charter, Altice sit out FCC’s mmWave spectrum auctions for 5G

Well that pretty much kills my idea that Comcast & Charter want to go into the home WISP market.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'd assume Starry the actual company since their 5G broadband network is all microwave based.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Starry, Inc. was publicly announced in January 2016 by Chaitanya "Chet" Kanojia, who had previously founded Aereo. Chet hates the TV Networks. Aereo was the Un-Cable TV company.

Remember Aereo that lost in the Supreme Court to CBS, NBC, ABC ... etc in a 6-3 decision that Aereo's business model was no different than that of a cable television provider, despite the differences in technology. Aereo's CEO and Founder was Chaitanya "Chet" Kanojia. Aereo took OTA TV from tiny dime sized TV antennas that each of his Aereo customers leased two private antennas. Basically Aereo used the internet as the cable inside their house with a DVR in the Cloud that was like $12 a month since he didn't pay the OTA networks for their shows. Aereo designed his technology to work just like a DVR that the Supreme Court had found was legal and allowed by law to record OTA TV without paying extra fee to the OTA networks. All Aereo did was use the internet cable instead of the coax cable from your own TV antenna to your DVR and TV. CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC all said they would close every local TV station in the country if Aereo won in the Supreme Court.

Name:  Aereo.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  42.7 KB

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Aereo that lost in the Supreme Court to CBS, NBC, ABC[/URL] ... etc in a 6-3 decision that Aereo's business model was no different than that of a cable television provider, despite the differences in technology.
    The dissent by the 3 justices in the minority made a lot of sense---unfortunately they were in the minority:

"Justices Scalia, Thomas and Alito dissented. Writing for the dissenting minority, Scalia quoted from Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., noting that the broadcasters made similar predictions regarding the VCR. Like the final paragraph in that previous ruling, he stated that the Court should be in no position to make judgements on novel technologies, and it is instead Congress's job to determine if the copyright laws should be modified to address these issues.[23]

The dissent continues and criticizes the majority's opinion calling it poorly reasoned because it relies on a "guilt by resemblance" standard, which states Aereo is performing because it "looks-like-cable-TV."

That claim fails at the very outset because Aereo does not “perform” at all. The Court manages to reach the opposite conclusion only by disregarding widely accepted rules for service-provider liability and adopting in their place an improvised standard (“looks-like-cable-TV”) that will sow confusion for years to come. "

Feedback Score
    I remember Aereo got railroaded big time. After the ruling they wanted to apply for a license to be 'legal' and was rejected.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I remember Aereo got railroaded big time. After the ruling they wanted to apply for a license to be 'legal' and was rejected.
    Very true... The Networks, Cable and Satellite companies used their political powers in the White House in 2014 to crush Aereo even after they tried to pay for network content to stop them from using the internet for TV service. Really all Aereo did was replace the coax cable from your TV antenna to your DVR/TV by using the internet as a replacement for coax. I was so disappointed and it all blew up just as Aereo added my area to their service.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Interesting,but could since of you explain more. These and other threads got me curious about spectrum holdings which lead me to this article.

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...t-and-dish-own

I was surprised at the amount of spectrum held by Sprint, which is one of the reasons Tm is merging with sprint although it seems their spectrum is mostly high band.

How is it that sprint being the fourth largest carrier holds so much spectrum,yet has possibly the worst native coverage of any carrier. Also how Will Tm use sprints spectrum holdings,since lowband seems to be the thing currently?
    Last edited by plane; 10-12-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    How is it that sprint being the fourth largest carrier holds sp much spectrum,yet has possibly the worst native coverage of any carrier.
    They wasted 35 billion on Nextel which put them in a hole.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Forgot that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast