Thread: WiFi calling on postpaid only?

Feedback Score

WiFi calling on postpaid only?

I tried to setup WiFi calling on my Phoenix 2 but it said it couldn't set it up at this time. I read about WiFi calling at the AT&T site and if I understand it correctly it is only for postpaid not prepaid accounts.

Is anyone here on a prepaid account using WiFi calling? If so then I must have mistaken what the terms said.

Of course, I have the low end prepaid Simple or 25c/min prepaid plan so maybe that's the deal. I thought it might be nice to call out on WiFi and save plan minutes but still be able to use my main number. That's why I wanted to set it up but it looked like the rules said there was still a charge for usage using WiFi.

I have a Tracfone prepaid phone that allows WiFi calling. I think it runs on the T-Mobile network.

It's not essential for me to have WiFi calling but it would have been nice to know it was an option.

I have Google Voice & Hangouts Dialer on all my active and unactivated phones so I use Hangouts occasionally to save plan minutes, mostly for messaging, although AT&T does have decent messaging pack rates, I bought the 200 message pack for $4.99.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    ATT Prepaid does not support Wi-Fi calling, or VoLTE. Both would be nice (Wi-Fi when I was on vacation in the UK last month).

At least 1 MVNO has Wi-Fi/VoLTE, and Cricket has it for some phones.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus Product Red
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    When I tried to turn it on before it said it was coming soon, now it says this: Name:  91E9D91D-3DC1-41C9-A223-33DF6A539248.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  17.4 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I tried to setup WiFi calling on my Phoenix 2 but it said it couldn't set it up at this time. I read about WiFi calling at the AT&T site and if I understand it correctly it is only for postpaid not prepaid accounts.

Is anyone here on a prepaid account using WiFi calling? If so then I must have mistaken what the terms said.

Of course, I have the low end prepaid Simple or 25c/min prepaid plan so maybe that's the deal. I thought it might be nice to call out on WiFi and save plan minutes but still be able to use my main number. That's why I wanted to set it up but it looked like the rules said there was still a charge for usage using WiFi.

I have a Tracfone prepaid phone that allows WiFi calling. I think it runs on the T-Mobile network.

It's not essential for me to have WiFi calling but it would have been nice to know it was an option.

I have Google Voice & Hangouts Dialer on all my active and unactivated phones so I use Hangouts occasionally to save plan minutes, mostly for messaging, although AT&T does have decent messaging pack rates, I bought the 200 message pack for $4.99.
    Cricket wireless has WiFi calling & Volte

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryland View Post
    When I tried to turn it on before it said it was coming soon, now it says this: Name:  91E9D91D-3DC1-41C9-A223-33DF6A539248.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  17.4 KB
    Either a hickup on their side generating a wrong error, or maybe they are planning to add it soon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Either a hickup on their side generating a wrong error, or maybe they are planning to add it soon
    That's the OOPS message i got when i tried to activate WiFi calling. AT&T sells the phones to people for prepaid use with some apps or features that were for postpaid.

I have a Tracfone, the ZTE zFiveG, z557BL that has WiFi calling. It prompts to activate WiFi calling when setting up, so I did. It seems to be working.

The specs I've pulled up on the zFiveG say it has 8gb memory but this one has 16gb internal storage, with 2gb RAM. Best Buy had it at the website but it sold out. I think Wal-Mart had it too on Wal-Mart Family Mobile for 29.88. I'm not sure if the 8gb zFiveG had WiFi calling or if it's new to the 16gb version.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    That's the OOPS message i got when i tried to activate WiFi calling. AT&T sells the phones to people for prepaid use with some apps or features that were for postpaid. I have a Tracfone, the ZTE zFiveG, z557BL that has WiFi calling. It prompts to activate WiFi calling when setting up, so I did. It seems to be working. The specs I've pulled up on the zFiveG say it has 8gb memory but this one has 16gb internal storage, with 2gb RAM. Best Buy had it at the website but it sold out. I think Wal-Mart had it too on Wal-Mart Family Mobile for 29.88. I'm not sure if the 8gb zFiveG had WiFi calling or if it's new to the 16gb version.
    what plan are you on ?? a friend of mine is on the $45/month plan and his phone is WIFI calling capable and he never got the prompt to set up WIFI calling.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    ATT Prepaid does not support Wi-Fi calling, or VoLTE. Both would be nice (Wi-Fi when I was on vacation in the UK last month).

At least 1 MVNO has Wi-Fi/VoLTE, and Cricket has it for some phones.
    AT&T MVNO's like Straight Talk have access to AT&T and T Mobile USA Wi-Fi Calling.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    AT&T MVNO's like Straight Talk have access to AT&T and T Mobile USA Wi-Fi Calling.
    That was the one. I talked my sister into activating it on her husband's phone. Also VoLTE. If I decide to bump up to a plan with more data, and want to stay on the ATT network, that would be an option I would now consider. No Hotspot support on phone, though. Occasionally that can come in handy.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I doubt it is an error on their side since they would to had to have made changes on the backend for that error message to change. My guess is it could be a sign that AT&T might be working on the OLAM and other issues that are preventing VOLTE and WIFI Calling from working on their branded pre paid service.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If I change carriers, it will be for VoLTE. Wi-Fi isn't as important for me now that I'm back from my UK vacation. Won't be doing that again anytime soon (expensive!).

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Cricket wireless has WiFi calling & Volte
    Yes. I ended shutting down my AT&T prepaid line in favour of Cricket because of this. VoLTE makes a big difference for me, at least. WiFi calling less so, but it is convenient at times.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I doubt it is an error on their side since they would to had to have made changes on the backend for that error message to change. My guess is it could be a sign that AT&T might be working on the OLAM and other issues that are preventing VOLTE and WIFI Calling from working on their branded pre paid service.
    Perhaps your on something with it within the last year they changed that error message a few times now it seems they are working on something again. We shall see