Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG Rebel 2 VoIP capable?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

LG Rebel 2 VoIP capable?

The reason I ask is because Trac is selling reconditioned Rebel 2s for $9.99 and I'd like to use the sim in my vzw Moto E4. The E4 is currently using the sim from my 2 year old Rebel 2 but that one never got provisioned for VoIP.

Anyone know if the current R2 comes with VoIP?

Device(s)
    LG Q7+, LG Journey, LG Stylo 4+
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Did you mean to ask about VoIP or VoLTE?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Doh! Foiled again by an acronym. I did mean VoLTE, thanks.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the Rebel 2 is VoLTE capable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    The reason I ask is because Trac is selling reconditioned Rebel 2s for $9.99 and I'd like to use the sim in my vzw Moto E4. The E4 is currently using the sim from my 2 year old Rebel 2 but that one never got provisioned for VoIP.
    The Rebel 2 is VoLTE capable, but you did not get it before because TracFone only started provisioning accounts with it about 6 months ago. This feature does not automatically upgrade, and has to be with a new activation. Activating a new Rebel 2 should provision the account/SIM with VoLTE. You should also get HD Voice and likely Visual Voicemail.

Not sure if the Moto E4 will than have VoLTE with the new Rebel 2 SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The Rebel 2 is VoLTE capable, but you did not get it before because TracFone only started provisioning accounts with it about 6 months ago. This feature does not automatically upgrade, and has to be with a new activation. Activating a new Rebel 2 should provision the account/SIM with VoLTE. You should also get HD Voice and likely Visual Voicemail.

Not sure if the Moto E4 will than have VoLTE with the new Rebel 2 SIM.
    If the new Rebel 2 SIM is provisioned for VoLTE and VVM, it should carry over if the sim is swapped into the Moto E4. The Moto E4 has both VoLTE and VVM capability.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I was able to get VoLTE (Verizon network) provisioned on my Rebel 2 by having Tracfone re-activate it with a new SIM about a month ago. VoLTE and HD Voice are working great (including, by the way, when I call my friend who has AT&T), however I never did get Visual Voicemail. My mother got a new Rebel 4 two weeks ago, which did get both VoLTE and VVM upon activation, so go figure.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracfoner69 View Post
    For what it's worth, I was able to get VoLTE (Verizon network) provisioned on my Rebel 2 by having Tracfone re-activate it with a new SIM about a month ago. VoLTE and HD Voice are working great (including, by the way, when I call my friend who has AT&T), however I never did get Visual Voicemail. My mother got a new Rebel 4 two weeks ago, which did get both VoLTE and VVM upon activation, so go figure.
    That's really interesting, was your rebel 2 active when you got the new sim and if so how did you get trac to give it to you?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    VoLTE and HD Voice are working great (including, by the way, when I call my friend who has AT&T)
    I did some testing with a HoFo forum member. He used a phone on TF/VZ with VoLTE and I used my J3 Sky on TF/VZ with VoLTE. Both of us had an "HD" indicator on the screen during the call. However, when he called me on my Phoenix 2 which has HD Voice on TF/AT&T, neither phone had any kind of HD indicator.

Feedback Score
    For what it's worth, I was able to get VoLTE (Verizon network) provisioned on my Rebel 2 by having Tracfone re-activate it with a new SIM about a month ago.
    I thought changing to a new SIM in an active phone might be considered the same as a new activation. Seems like they can't reprovision an existing active SIM.
    Yes, how did you get TF to give you the SIM? Claim it was lost or damaged?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Seems like they can't reprovision an existing active SIM.
    The won't (generally) but they can.
    Just easier to transfer to a new SIM.

I've also transfered to a different device and then back (reusing old SIM) to get a "new" activation/provisioning.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Seems like they can't reprovision an existing active SIM.
    If my recollection is correct, forum member advcomp2019 has a phone that did not have VoLTE while his brother has the same model with VoLTE. He contacted TF, chatted/talked with a "techie" rep who made some changes to the account and after that his phone has VoLTE.

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    That's really interesting, was your rebel 2 active when you got the new sim and if so how did you get trac to give it to you?
    I thought changing to a new SIM in an active phone might be considered the same as a new activation. Seems like they can't reprovision an existing active SIM.
    Yes, how did you get TF to give you the SIM? Claim it was lost or damaged?
    When I bought the Rebel 2 last year, I was considering selling my Treasure, but didn't want to sell it with the "used" SIM (even though it would be deactivated after activating the Rebel 2's new SIM). I asked Tracfone to send me a new non-BYOP SIM, which they did. I simply told the rep on chat that I wanted to sell the phone but needed to keep the existing SIM. They didn't give me any grief, just mailed it out.

Interestingly, when I asked them to provision that virgin SIM in the Rebel 2 last month in order to get VoLTE to kick in, they gave me some grief about it. First claiming that I couldn't use a BYOP SIM in the phone, so I had to convince them that it was in fact a non-BYOP SIM. At which point they tried hassling me about where I got it blah blah blah. Finally I cut through the BS by firmly but politely telling them to "Just put it down as a reactivation due to a lost/damaged SIM and please re-provision the phone with this new SIM #." 10 minutes later I had VoLTE functionality with my number and service buckets/days correctly transferred to the new SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I did some testing with a HoFo forum member. He used a phone on TF/VZ with VoLTE and I used my J3 Sky on TF/VZ with VoLTE. Both of us had an "HD" indicator on the screen during the call. However, when he called me on my Phoenix 2 which has HD Voice on TF/AT&T, neither phone had any kind of HD indicator.
    I've seen posts mentioning that the cross-carrier VoLTE HD Voice hasn't been working, which is why I mentioned it. I can say with 100% certainty that my phone on the Verizon network connects with HD voice to my friend's phone on AT&T's network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I can say with 100% certainty that my phone on the Verizon network connects with HD voice to my friend's phone on AT&T's network.
    During that call, was there an HD indicator on your Verizon phone? I know the call on my TF/AT&T side was going through LTE because I could use data at the same time, but the other member's Verizon phone didn't show HD. Although my Phoenix 2 is set to LTE/HD Voice, I've never seen an HD on its screen when calling anyone (Verizon or AT&T), so I don't know for sure if AT&T has enabled HD Voice for Tracfone customers. Is your friend's phone on postpaid AT&T or TF/AT&T?

Attachment 160035

Device(s)
    moto g6
    Feedback Score
    Yes, the HD indicator was lit up on my phone. iPhone on plain old AT&T Wireless.

Name:  HD_Call.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  23.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast