Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Verizon Wants to Sell Your Phone a Companion with Palm

Name:  palm.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  48.5 KB

Verizon fans: You ever take off for the weekend and wish you could take a smaller more portable version of your smartphone with you?

Yeah me neither.... But a hot new Cali startup named Palm has you covered for all ya'll who don't have friends in low places. This company is hoping you have room in your life, and your wallet for a new Smartphone Companion. Yes you read that right! A smartphone companion. And Verizon got dibs on it first. Yay!

For $10 per month, you too can carry this credit card sized piece of fresh air. This device itself which so far is known as: "The Palm," will set you back $350 gives you:

Android 8.1
    3.3-inch HD screen
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 processor
    3 GB of RAM
    32 GB of storage
    12-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel front-facing camera
    800mAh battery
    LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and a SIM card.

Name:  palm-smartfon-2018-verizon-2.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  50.1 KB

The hoped for end result is that you pair this device to your phone like any other wearable with use of Verizon's NumberShare service as a pre-requisite. It's not a replacement to your phone only a compliment. The irony is that this device is supposed to get you away from being attached to your smartphone's display by.... adding another one.

From an industry perspective, Palm is hoping to create a new category of devices that customers will soon realize they can't live without. Verizon is watching this closely to see if customers are willng to pad thier bills and increase DARPU (Data Average Revenue per User).

Whether or not adding another screen to your life is worth it to you is totally a personal choice. Let's us know what you think? Will you be buying this? Do you know anyone who this would work perfect for?

For more details check out this awesome video on the gadget:

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Apple Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LOL. No, thanks. I have an Apple Watch LTE already for this purpose. I guess it's an option for non-iPhone users, though.

Feedback Score
    If I needed a small Android phone, this wouldn’t be my first choice.

Unihertz Atom is more rugged, more phone, smaller size for $100 less than this. Obviously, someone didn’t do their homework before going for the SFF.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrfyter View Post
    If I needed a small Android phone, this wouldn’t be my first choice.

Unihertz Atom is more rugged, more phone, smaller size for $100 less than this. Obviously, someone didn’t do their homework before going for the SFF.
    Wouldn't that atom be an extra line vs just a $10 fee for this thing. not that I would get either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    Wouldn't that atom be an extra line vs just a $10 fee for this thing. not that I would get either.
    In reality, it’s probably all in how Verizon codes it into their system. They could probably do either. This is probably true of Smartwatches as well. Nobody would pay that, so they have to set them up at the lower price. When I login to my Verizon account, my Apple Watch 3 shows up as a separate device with its own phone number.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Anyone else around here remember WebOS? I was a huge fan back in the day. When I first read about this device that is the first thing I thought of.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    I miss web os I give this an try just for the hell of it

Sent from my iPhone XS Max
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Anyone else around here remember WebOS? I was a huge fan back in the day. When I first read about this device that is the first thing I thought of.
    I loved webOS. Its ideas were ahead of their time. It's a shame that such a cool OS fell victim to cringe-worthy marketing and Sprint exclusivity at launch, a reneged deal with Verizon, and performance issues on the hardware at the time.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Why????
    I have a smartwatch.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    my eyes are not as good as they were when I was younger, I will never go back to a smaller phone.

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Why????
    I have a smartwatch.
    My thought exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    my eyes are not as good as they were when I was younger, I will never go back to a smaller phone.
    Not really a phone you use it WITH your phone

Device(s)
    Sonim XP8, iPhone XS, Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    SouthernLINC, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Why can’t you just swap your SIM into a smaller phone? I have a Blackberry Classic for this reason.

I guess if people will pay?

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Oooh I'll have this with my smartwatch (I don't have one won't get one) too. Then I need a phone companion that's a pendant around the neck, next a ring phone companion, then a toe phone companion, and finally an adults only companion phone for down there & a suppository phone companion.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Oooh I'll have this with my smartwatch (I don't have one won't get one) too. Then I need a phone companion that's a pendant around the neck, next a ring phone companion, then a toe phone companion, and finally an adults only companion phone for down there & a suppository phone companion.
    We know what happens with the “down there” model... you leave it on vibrate and call yourself a lot...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast