Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost data connectivity after overseas trip, re-push network configuration?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Lost data connectivity after overseas trip, re-push network configuration?

Does AT&T have a way of manually force-pushing network configuration to a phone on their system? Something like carrier settings? If so, what do I need to ask them to do? I'd ask in chat but they always seem to be unavailable, and I'm hoping to avoid a long hold time and running through a script during a phone call, if I can pinpoint exactly what to ask for.

I'm using an LG V35 (Amazon version, which is unlocked). It worked fine on AT&T before my trip (nothing special needed to get it working out of the box). It also worked fine on my overseas trip (where I successfully used a Three UK SIM for data & calling/texting in various European countries).

Upon return and putting the AT&T SIM back in I have no cellular data whatsoever.

Settings > General > About phone > Network says:
    Network: AT&T
    Signal strength: -118 dBm 22asu
    Mobile network type: LTE
    Service state: In service
    Roaming state: Not roaming
    Mobile network state: Disconnected
    IP address: Unavailable
    (the signal strength may seem low, but that's pretty normal for home, I get the same problem in other areas with much better service)

The AT&T SIM hides the Network mode and Network operators entries from the Settings > Network > Mobile networks menu. Those two items are visible when the Three SIM is in the phone, and let me choose AT&T after which I can data roam on AT&T (with the Three SIM, until my 30 day add-on expires in a couple of days).

I already tried a factory reset (last resort after checking all the phone settings many times), but it appears that if there is a setting that Three modified (and AT&T failed to modify back) is not affected by a factory reset. It's also not affected by "Network settings reset".

I have verified the APN is correct.

I have put the SIM into another phone and that other phone gets data.

I have put the other phone's SIM into this phone and it does not get data - this leads me to believe it's not a problem at AT&T's end or with the line, but a problem in the phone.

During the trip I was toggling flight mode and data roaming (part of the trip was on a cruise ship), so at first I thought I had just toggled something incorrectly, but I have quadruple-checked all the settings.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried forcing a data connection through *#*#4636#*#*?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I doubt it's your phone if it worked fine before and during your trip.

Get and IMEI # from any Android phone that AT&T currently sells. Call CS and tell them you got a new phone and wanted to update your IMEI #.

See if that works.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses.

@TheRealDanny - I have swapped SIMs and the SIM from the bad phone works OK in a different phone, so I'm not sure how updating the IMEI would help. But I'll give it a try (I already called them, they tried a bunch of stuff to no avail).

@Joeybutts - thanks for that. I hit "Trigger carrier provisioning" - is that what you meant? It doesn't seem to do anything.
    Preferred network type is "LTE/UMTS auto (PRL)" - is that the correct setting? I tried LTE only with the same result (ping test fails, Carrier Provisioning Info shows "Not available" for both Last Provisioning Status & Last Provisioning Timestamp)

Feedback Score
    Did you try manual deleting the 3 uk apn settings ??

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The phone is only ever showing a single APN. It shows the Three APN when the Three SIM is in the phone, and the AT&T APN when the AT&T SIM is in the phone.

I rebooted with the Three SIM in. The phone won't let me delete the Three APN - even when I added another APN it wouldn't let me delete the Three APN (presumably because it is the default APN).

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    This is strange. Do you know anyone with a PAYG T-Mobile or any other US Carrier SIM that would let you insert it into your phone?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't unfortunately (I assume another AT&T SIM wouldn't help, since I have already tried that).

I had a Ting SIM (on T-Mobile) a while ago to do a coverage check. It failed the check (good LTE but no voice at my house), so I let it lapse (and no longer have the SIM).

I could try buying a T-Mobile PAYG SIM and give that a shot. What are you thinking that would accomplish?

Feedback Score
    Try disabling/resetting some of the phone apps
    To see if one is causing the apn settings
    Not to reset.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    All the non-factory apps are gone, it's been factory reset (several times now).

Feedback Score
    Did you factory reset from inside the
    Phone or from powering down and holding the volume down and pressing
    The power button ??

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried reloading from a desktop?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My initial factory reset was from the phone menu. Then I tried it by holding power & volume-down to boot, then releasing and re-pressing power (took a few tries to get that right).

I also installed LG Bridge (I assume that's what you mean by reloading from desktop). That just told me that no updates were available (which is correct, the phone was on the latest update). I couldn't find a "force reload" option in LG Bridge.

Keep the suggestions coming please.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sar840t2 View Post
    My initial factory reset was from the phone menu. Then I tried it by holding power & volume-down to boot, then releasing and re-pressing power (took a few tries to get that right).

I also installed LG Bridge (I assume that's what you mean by reloading from desktop). That just told me that no updates were available (which is correct, the phone was on the latest update). I couldn't find a "force reload" option in LG Bridge.

Keep the suggestions coming please.
    Have you ever been on xda forums? I'd suggest going on there and going into the sub forum for your phone.

Samsung has Odin, I'm sure LG has something equivalent. You can also start a thread there explaining the issue.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's been years since I've been on XDA-Developers, but I'll start digging through the V35 section, and then see if I can word something that won't get too many snarky responses.

I have another puzzle piece - if I turn on international data roaming, the phone gets data (apparently from an AT&T cell per the LTE Discovery app). If I then disable international data roaming it seems to keep the connection until I lose that tower (e.g. going into an underground parking garage, then coming back up).

It's like the phone lost track of what towers belong to whom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast