Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Which Android OS Phone For Hot Spot Use?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Read some reviews on this Alcatel phone over on Amazon and one thing stood out. A couple of purchasers complained that the phone was full of AT&T junk, and it was so full that they couldn't put anything else in it??

Since I'm a smartphone newbie and not familiar with how they work, is there a way to remove some of the junk that I don't need/use to free up some space for stuff I maybe do need? Sort of like removing programs from a computer that you don't want or need.

Here's one on fleabay that I found the other day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292545937269?ul_noapp=true

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Akacheebe View Post
    Read some reviews on this Alcatel phone over on Amazon and one thing stood out. A couple of purchasers complained that the phone was full of AT&T junk, and it was so full that they couldn't put anything else in it??

Since I'm a smartphone newbie and not familiar with how they work, is there a way to remove some of the junk that I don't need/use to free up some space for stuff I maybe do need? Sort of like removing programs from a computer that you don't want or need.

Here's one on fleabay that I found the other day.

You will run into this with many 8 GB storage phones from the past few years. The OS takes some room and so do the preinstalled apps. No you can't remove many, if any, of the preinstalled stuff. The option for that is disabled.

I have 8 GB storage phones and am unable to load all of the apps I like on a phone, and I don't use a lot. I will never buy another 8 GB storage phone.

The next step up is 16 GB storage. That extra 8 GB makes all the difference.

In theory, you can add a microSD card and move some apps to it. In practice, I have never found that to be reliable. My 8 GB storage Alcatel does not allow SD to be used as adoptable storage.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I agree with bobdevnul but would like to add a few points.

Often root access is required to remove bloatware. Sometimes bloatware can be deleted without root access.

I would not recommend rooting the phone because it would be a hassle and not all phones can be rooted.

I also agree that moving stuff to the SD card is sometimes an option depending on the version of android but it is also a hassle so I don't recommend it.

I agree 16 GB is preferred to 8 GB but you said you don't plan on doing much with the phone other than using it as a hotspot so I don't think you will need to install many if any apps. So it is likely 8 GB will be enough for you unless you start using a lot of apps.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, POSH Micro X S240
    Carrier(s)
    PC Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Advice for those using a mobile hotspot: if your hotspot device and your client device support Internet over Bluetooth and you don't need WiFi's high speed, use Bluetooth only. It uses far less battery power.

Pretty much any Android device with hotspot (usually "tethering" in the menu) can enable Bluetooth-only hotspot.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Brantford View Post
    Advice for those using a mobile hotspot: if your hotspot device and your client device support Internet over Bluetooth and you don't need WiFi's high speed, use Bluetooth only. It uses far less battery power.

Pretty much any Android device with hotspot (usually "tethering" in the menu) can enable Bluetooth-only hotspot.
    Just to clarify, this phone will NOT be used as a phone unless my Consumer Cellular flip phone takes a dump and I can't find a cheap replacement.

The plan is that this Alcatel will be, a) stationary in my HVAC room, b) will have a charger connected to it 24/7/365 and c) will be used only as a Hot Spot for internet service. I'll also disable as much of the "add on" stuff that I can.

FYI my house is setup with Gigabit LAN and Draft N wireless. I do occasionally transfer 8/10 GB sized PVR movie files between computers here, one of which has two each 4TB drives in it for backup/storage! From past experience, Bluetooth speeds suck.

Ennywho, I think I'll go ahead and order that Alcatel phone from an Ebay vendor in Florida who has it NEW at about the same price as Amazon.

And thanks again guys for the input!! I've been a computer type guy since back in the late 1990s when I built my first Windows 98SE computer from scratch but I've stayed away from smartphones like the plague. And BTW, my Consumer Cellular phone doesn't even have "Text Messaging" with it.............voice only! ;-)

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Akacheebe View Post
    Just to clarify, this phone will NOT be used as a phone unless my Consumer Cellular flip phone takes a dump and I can't find a cheap replacement.
    If you need to use the 8 GB storage hotspot phone as a phone, you can add a few apps you want, just not very many. A number of useful apps come with the phone. Mail, calendar, calculator, GMaps, etc.

The plan is that this Alcatel will be, a) stationary in my HVAC room, b) will have a charger connected to it 24/7/365 and c) will be used only as a Hot Spot for internet service. I'll also disable as much of the "add on" stuff that I can.
    Yes, good to disable unwanted apps even if you can't remove them. There is no point in having Yellow Pages, Uber, etc. running if you are not going to use them.

FYI my house is setup with Gigabit LAN and Draft N wireless. I do occasionally transfer 8/10 GB sized PVR movie files between computers here, one of which has two each 4TB drives in it for backup/storage! From past experience, Bluetooth speeds suck.
    Yes, Bluetooth tethering is slow. I have found pairing to be tedious too. Bluetooth also does not have the range of Wifi.

You will probably find that a phone as a wifi hotspot does not have the range of a real Wifi router. Phone hotspots also usually have a low limit on the number of devices connected to Wifi. My Phoenix 2 is limited to 8. You can get around the range and device limit by setting up a cheap Wifi router as a repeater bridge.

Have you found a service that will work for hotspotting with the Alcatel phone? It appears to be an AT&T Prepaid phone. The hotspot app on that will not work unless you have service from AT&T or an AT&T MVNO that includes hotspotting/tethering, many plans do not. The hotspot app contacts AT&T when it starts to see if you are authorized. With a couple of exceptions, there is no way around this. Foxfi/PdaNet may work on that phone (or may not). There are no other third party apps that work on unrooted phones. Finding a good root method for that obscure Alcatel phone is unlikely.

Good luck

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Have you found a service that will work for hotspotting with the Alcatel phone? It appears to be an AT&T Prepaid phone. The hotspot app on that will not work unless you have service from AT&T or an AT&T MVNO that includes hotspotting/tethering, many plans do not. The hotspot app contacts AT&T when it starts to see if you are authorized. With a couple of exceptions, there is no way around this. Foxfi/PdaNet may work on that phone (or may not). There are no other third party apps that work on unrooted phones. Finding a good root method for that obscure Alcatel phone is unlikely.

Good luck
    The description says it is unlocked. It should work on AT&T and T-mobile if it is unlocked. Do you have information to indicate it is not unlocked and only for AT&T?

Alcatel Ideal Xcite 4G LTE Unlocked 5044R 5 inch 8GB Usa Latin & Caribbean Bands Android 7.0 IdealXcite
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Below is the same phone 5044R that shows specs:

ALCATEL IDEALXCITE (2017) REVIEW
    https://droidchart.com/en/alcatel/al...ite-5044r-3115

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    The description says it is unlocked. It should work on AT&T and T-mobile if it is unlocked. Do you have information to indicate it is not unlocked and only for AT&T?
    Perhaps there is some misunderstanding. An AT&T phone will hotspot on an AT&T plan that allows hotspotting whether it is unlocked or not. Not all AT&T plans allow hotspotting. Some plans that do, limit the amount of hotspotting.

Carrier unbranded phones, like Blu, may hotspot even if the plan it is on does not allow it. Use enough to get noticed and you will be warned at best or service terminated at worst.

Unlocked just means that it is unlocked from any particular carrier for use as a phone or for mobile data by the phone itself. Unlocking the phone does not unlock the original carrier hotspot app or replace it with the generic Android non-carrier hotspot app. How well it will work as a phone with T-Mobile depends on the LTE bands the phone has.

Hotspotting on T-Mobile absolutely will not work using the AT&T hotspot app that comes with AT&T Prepaid phones.

The carrier hotspot app on carrier branded phones contacts the carrier when it starts, to check if hotspotting is allowed on the plan the phone has. If the plan does not allow hotspotting you are not getting anything except an error message. There are no good universal third party hotspot apps without root*. Part of the check is baked in the phone config files. It's typically in build.prop, but you can't get to that file without root.

I have four AT&T prepaid phones and one AT&T tablet. They all come with the AT&T hotspot app and will not hotspot on plans that do not allow it. I believe that is plenty of information.

Hotspotting is not hard, but it does take a very specific combination of phone, plan, possibly root, and third party app.

*Some phones will hotspot with the FoxFi app. The list of phones that work keeps getting shorter. Some phones can get hotspotting working with the Settings Database Editor app. My Phoenix 2 is one of them. Even if it works, you are subject to being terminated if the plan does not allow it. Hotspotting is pretty easy to detect, especially in large amounts like more than a few tens of MB a month.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Cell phones are confusing and I don't know everything about them but as far as I know this is not an AT&T prepaid phone.

Why do you say this is an AT&T prepaid phone. It says it is an unlocked phone. It does not mention anywhere that it is an AT&T prepaid phone.

I do see online that AT&T has a version of this phone for prepaid.

So in other words, I assume there are two versions of this phone.
    1. AT&T Alcatel IdealXcite prepaid
    2. Unlocked Alcatel IdealXcite

As an example, boost has a moto e4 phone and I just bought an unlocked moto e4 phone. My unlocked moto e4 phone is not locked to boost and will work on AT&T, T-mobile, Verizon, and Sprint. Also I should be able to get hotspot with any carrier if that carrier offers hotspot and offers service to that phone as far as I know.

So in other words, there are two versions of this phone.
    1. Boost moto e4 prepaid
    2. Unlocked moto e4

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    In the review one guy says it has AT&T apps on the phone. This is strange because it does not say it is an AT&T prepaid phone.

If the phone is not unlocked as advertised I would not buy it.

I would ask the seller where you decide to buy it before buying it and get a confirmation if this phone is unlocked or if the phone is an AT&T prepaid phone.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions...ask_atf_aqp_dp

Purchased this phone on the 15/6/18, got it on the 21/6/18....Nice! However it was advertised as unlocked, to be used in the Caribbean, SD card expandable memory. Upon receiving it I sadly found out that there are dozens of AT&T apps an others that were useless to me an occupied almost all the space on the phone....Additionally the SD card was not able to work in the phone so every time the apps updated the phone would tell you insufficient space....how sad....Please if u live in the Caribbean leave this phone alone. It's affordable, light weight and attractive BUT not much u can do but answer and make calls. No apps can be added, also no headset comes with the phone....Nice phone but specifically design for the US an their Telephone providers....Even though it says unlocked

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Also as for as I know unlocked phones are suppose to have standard android hotspot capabilities and hotspot should work on any compatible carrier that allows that phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Also as for as I know unlocked phones are suppose to have standard android hotspot capabilities and hotspot should work on any compatible carrier that allows that phone.
    What leads you to believe that? Maybe if it is bought unlocked, but I doubt it.

My experience is with AT&T Prepaid phones that I have bought locked and had unlocked. Some were unlocked by AT&T. Others I paid for an unlock code off eBay. The hotspot apps are all locked to AT&T.

I bought the AT&T tablet unlocked. The hotspot app is locked to AT&T.

Phones that are not carrier branded, like Blu, may have the standard Android hotspot. I have an old Galaxy Ace 2 and that is the case.

The OP was asking about an Alcatel AT&T Prepaid phone. Other brands and carriers may be a different story.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    What leads you to believe that? Maybe if it is bought unlocked, but I doubt it.

My experience is with AT&T Prepaid phones that I have bought locked and had unlocked. Some were unlocked by AT&T. Others I paid for an unlock code off eBay. The hotspot apps are all locked to AT&T.

I bought the AT&T tablet unlocked. The hotspot app is locked to AT&T.

Phones that are not carrier branded, like Blu, may have the standard Android hotspot. I have an old Galaxy Ace 2 and that is the case.

The OP was asking about an Alcatel AT&T Prepaid phone. Other brands and carriers may be a different story.
    Well, I am talking about an unbranded unlocked phone like the unlocked moto e4.

My unlocked moto e4 which I just bought and have not used yet is not branded to any carrier and the description says it works on all carriers.

If you buy an AT&T prepaid phone that is locked to AT&T then unlock it, then it might not work exactly like an unbranded unlocked phone.

Also sometimes unbranded unlocked phone will not get all carrier specific functions like wi-fi calling. However, I have not heard of not getting hotspot.

However, there are many complex things that can come up so I guess you are never guaranteed about any functionality unless you buy a phone from the carrier. Then if the phone does not work as expected ask for your money back.

As an example, I just bought an unlocked moto e4 for use on boost mobile but I am not sure if everything works exactly same as a boost moto e4 phone.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Cell phones are confusing and I don't know everything about them but as far as I know this is not an AT&T prepaid phone.

Why do you say this is an AT&T prepaid phone. It says it is an unlocked phone. It does not mention anywhere that it is an AT&T prepaid phone.
    I am referring to the phone the OP posted a link to:

The picture shows an AT&t logo. AT&T phones in this price range are prepaid phones.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    On the amazon link I used there was no mention of AT&T.

On your link it says AT&T but this photo of the box looks different from the photo of the AT&T Alcatel Ideal Xcite prepaid phone on link below.

The prepaid version box says prepaid and the unlocked box does not say prepaid.

https://www.ebay.com/i/352491273043?chn=ps

So there might be a difference between the two phones where one is prepaid locked and the other is unlocked.

The one that says unlocked might have AT&T software on it and that might be a problem for hotspot but I don't know.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast