Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: iPhone Xs hanging onto 4g rather than going to LTE

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

iPhone Xs hanging onto 4g rather than going to LTE

Coming from Verizon and T-Mobile I am surprised how long my iPhone stays on 4g even in area marked LTE on the coverage map.

I thought LTE would be the preferred service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Coming from Verizon and T-Mobile I am surprised how long my iPhone stays on 4g even in area marked LTE on the coverage map.

I thought LTE would be the preferred service?

ATT will do that, it seems they program phones to prefer a stronger HSPA signal over a weaker LTE one, even though there are places where I drop to 4G where I can normally hold onto an LTE call when passing through.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds like they need to densify the LTE grid in your area by adding LTE carriers to 3G only macros.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks guys! Glad to hear it’s somewhat normal behavior and nothing wrong with my phone. (I suppose Verizon was forced to go to LTE everywhere for VolTE and with T-Mobile who knows if the label is correct or not). Anyway AT&T 4g was always at LTE type speeds anyway.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    ATT will do that, it seems they program phones to prefer a stronger HSPA signal over a weaker LTE one, even though there are places where I drop to 4G where I can normally hold onto an LTE call when passing through.
    This is AT&T when its congested.
    You start on LTE and drop to 4G and it basically stays there or like me you disable from airplane mode inside the underground parking garage and drive out into the world of slow HSPA.

I know when I'm in HSPA because my KTLA video feed stops. The single B5 carrier of "HSPA" remaining feels more like UMTS Rel 99 from 11 years ago....

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    You start on LTE and drop to 4G and it basically stays there or like me you disable from airplane mode inside the underground parking garage and drive out into the world of slow HSPA.

I know when I'm in HSPA because my KTLA video feed stops. The single B5 carrier of "HSPA" remaining feels more like UMTS Rel 99 from 11 years ago....
    OK so it is more of a Network Management thing.

Stuff gets really interesting with multiple technologies in place. Reminds me of Sprint showing LTE and dropping to 1xrtt for incoming calls.

At least they are being honest and not just declaring everything to be LTE when it isn’t yet.

Any ideas on when the final conversion to LTE and network reframing will take place?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have the same problem. I really wish apple would include a toggle in cellular settings to force LTE like they have the setting to turn off LTE.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    If you have an active data connection on HSPA, it won't go back to LTE until the data stream is stopped. It's been that way for many years due to LTE > HSPA fallover.
    iPhone Xs Max , At&t Unlimited Plus Austin, TX .................... Grande 1000/50, $69.99/month

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    OK so it is more of a Network Management thing.

Stuff gets really interesting with multiple technologies in place. Reminds me of Sprint showing LTE and dropping to 1xrtt for incoming calls.

At least they are being honest and not just declaring everything to be LTE when it isn’t yet.

Any ideas on when the final conversion to LTE and network reframing will take place?

A few insiders on this board said that AT&T was adding LTE to those lone 3G only macros across the country this year.

I use the XS on T-Mobile but my phone never falls back to HSPA mainly due to the fact that T-Mobile's main coverage layer in my area is low Band 12 LTE and capacity bands lock to 2, 4 or 66. It'd rarely makes sense to fall back to a higher frequency 3G band or 2G band since T-Mobile doesn't operate a low band 3G network.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    A few insiders on this board said that AT&T was adding LTE to those lone 3G only macros across the country this year.

I use the XS on T-Mobile but my phone never falls back to HSPA mainly due to the fact that T-Mobile's main coverage layer in my area is low Band 12 LTE and capacity bands lock to 2, 4 or 66. It'd rarely makes sense to fall back to a higher frequency 3G band or 2G band since T-Mobile doesn't operate a low band 3G network.
    My Android phone on Cricket seems to switch to 4G before my IPhone on AT&T business line and hold it longer. More often than not when this happens the 4G signal is better. Go figure.

Sent from my BND-L34 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    It seems like so far my XS/Max hasn't dropped from LTE to HSPA, unlike what my iPhone 8 Plus frequently did. Bad news is that I still drive out into the world of slow HSPA from the underground parking garage it's definitely due to either network congestion and/or mediocre AT&T LTE coverage, I eventually got LTE back at the Fedex warehouse. (still better than the iPhone 8 Plus where I never got LTE back unless I turned on/off Airplane Mode).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My experience has been the opposite..my Xs Max seems to prefer the LTE signal. Even when I'm so sporting events and it's very congested it will hang on to the slow LTE until I disable LTE in the settings and force it to the faster 4g. In my area 4g isn't bad. It's fast and a pretty good consistent fallback option in areas where LTE is weak. I wish the phones (any phone ios or Android) could do little "network" tests in the background and automatically choose the faster bands instead of defaulting to LTE even when the signal is bad and/or congested even when 4g is way faster

Device(s)
    Bag phone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    mine would rather sit on searching for signal than go to 4G. It's LTE or not working for my phone

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Drove 20 miles streaming music and stayed stuck in 4G the entire time. Went through lots of LTE areas.

Was 4G an issue? Well no it worked fine.

Wonder if this is some sort of new band management, the band you started on is the one you stay stuck on until your phone goes on WiFi.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Drove 20 miles streaming music and stayed stuck in 4G the entire time. Went through lots of LTE areas.

Was 4G an issue? Well no it worked fine.

Wonder if this is some sort of new band management, the band you started on is the one you stay stuck on until your phone goes on WiFi.

In an active data session, the phone won't hand up to LTE.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast