Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Unlimited Plus Harman Spark for $25/mo

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Madsquabbles,

One other question, for the pins that are connected to the circuit board, do they go anywhere (can you see a copper circuit connected to the pin on the circuit board)? Or are they just attached to the circuit board for support?

Thanks for checking. I drive a 2005 VW and have the wiring diagrams and service manual. I'll have to take a look at the VW wiring diagram to see which pins actually have a wire running to them and where they run to on the car. I know from the mobley that there is a power and ground pin. If I have time I'll check to see which pins are used in some of the generic OBD scanners. I'm guessing they are similar to the Harman Spark.

I appreciate your time in checking this. Thanks!

Eric

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fv22652 View Post
    Madsquabbles,

One other question, for the pins that are connected to the circuit board, do they go anywhere (can you see a copper circuit connected to the pin on the circuit board)? Or are they just attached to the circuit board for support?

Thanks for checking. I drive a 2005 VW and have the wiring diagrams and service manual. I'll have to take a look at the VW wiring diagram to see which pins actually have a wire running to them and where they run to on the car. I know from the mobley that there is a power and ground pin. If I have time I'll check to see which pins are used in some of the generic OBD scanners. I'm guessing they are similar to the Harman Spark.

I appreciate your time in checking this. Thanks!

Eric
    The unused pins are "vendor options" so I'd suppose what they do varies between vehicle makes/models. Power and ground are universal, you don't want a car that decides to move pins and short out stuff, lol.

Looking to see where the traces go is a little harder since the OBD traces are on an inner layer of the PCB:
    https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AHPN-HSA-15UA-AA/3954696.pdf
    shows you better than my pics.

Side A top of each board show the copper connectors for the OBD pins and you can see the ones that aren't connected. The pins are there on the Spark, just not connected to the board.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    Here's the teardown info:

IMPORTANT!!! GET YOUR PUK IF YOU FEEL LIKE RISKING A SIM SWAP, YOU'LL NEED IT. THE SIM HAS A PIN.

There is a Li Battery in the unit, so be careful not to puncture it during tear down and avoid shorting anything if the unit is powered on. I don't know how to turn it off after it's been powered on. Reset button on the side didn't do anything. It did power off on its own but I haven't looked at it in 90min so I don't know when it shut down.

First use a guitar pic or better yet if you have a phone repair kit use one of the prying tools to remove the top from the bottom. It comes of easily.

Attachment 160219

There is a mUSB port. I tried hooking it up to my computer but it didn't do anything. Maybe if I used a laptop after starting the car it may have some affect.

Next thing is to disconnect the battery. You don't have to if it's powered off, but I wouldn't suggest taking that risk. Just pop it off with a prying tool.

Attachment 160220

Go about removing the four screws. It's obvious which ones. If it's not, please put the unit back together and give it up. To remove the boards from the case you need to go to the front of the unit (where it connects to the OBD) and pry it apart at the holes with a screw driver or anything else that'll fit.

Attachment 160221

I should have taken pictures of the back but forgot. You really don't need to remove it, but I did. Just pry the clips on the side by the clear lights and pull upwards away from the pins. Takes a little force because there are clips on the lights that hold the back piece down. To put it back on just put the side clips high up on the lights, position the copper contacts over the pins and push down til it clicks back in place. Be careful you don't damage the contacts or the pins.

Here's the unit with the SIM popped out:
    Attachment 160222

It's extremely easy to do. I've put it back together and gonna start using it in the car tomorrow. I haven't used the Spark app yet and unless they force it, I'm gonna keep it that way. Downside is that I have no access to changing any settings or checking any diagnostics (not sure if the app allows that anyways).

There you have it. Anyone wanna try long term SIM swapping it's doable. If you have a nighthawk you can place the SIM in it, use the PUK to unlock and assign a new PIN, and finally remove the SIM security. Can't do it from a velocity. Still not sure why the velocity didn't work properly. The message was that it couldn't get data usage because it couldn't recognize the plan. Tests had it running about 40KB/s (about 320Kb/s). NH had no such issues.

First thing you'll notice if you get one is how much heavier it is than the Mobley. It has heatsinks, rf shields, the battery, etc. The only thing I didn't think of is the crappy location of the OBD in my new car. If I move the wrong way I'll end up kicking the unit. It's thicker than the Mobley by ~.25" and shorter by ~.5".
    Sorry for late comer questions... Can I get a Harmon Account as a standalone for $20?
    Are they sill giving out PUKs
    If i do get an account and receive the Spark, can i right away go to teh Nighthawk or do i need to use the Harmon first.
    Also can i get a Harmon from 3rd party store, and then call ATT to setup that way?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3