Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited Plus Harman Spark for $25/mo

Feedback Score

Unlimited Plus Harman Spark for $25/mo

If you're on Unlimited Plus still you can add a line and put the Harman Spark on it for $25/mo.

Can't say if we'd be bound by the CCU/Spark ToS or the U+ ToS. I don't want any telematics so I'm not paying the $5 for it unless I gotta. The one good thing is that since it's a U+ plan I'm ASSUMING I'd be able to swap SIMs with another hotspot (ASSUMING again) that there is a SIM in it and it uses the Broadband APN.

Just ordered the device tonight and should get it Tues or Wed as long as no one swipes it from my porch. AT&T has problems sending me stuff to my job.

Edit: TrickOrange on reddit fixed my brain for me and told me that it's $20 b/c telematics is added on - $20 for the line and $5 for the tele. Still not sure about the whose ToS will be applied. One part of the ToS is directed to the device, other are to the plan. It says the device has to be used only on the car, but the plan has no such restriction (u+plan) so technically I could swap to another hotspot to keep it so that the Spark is/was used only in the car.
    Last edited by MadSquabbles; 10-21-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    That's interesting..keep us updated. But for some reason I feel as though the same terms will apply on the U+ plan. Sim can only be used in the Spark. I have no problem with that but the no go for me is the VIN number linking which I believe will prevent you from even using the Spark in more than one car without updating the info online (similar to the Verizon version of this. The device links itself to the VIN number that you give to Verizon. If you switch cars it won't work until you call to update the VIN. Very crazy that you can't move a device you purchased from car to car)

Feedback Score
    The VIN isn't pulled from the OBD, but what you enter in the app (AFAIK) and some people are having trouble getting the app to pair with the device. It doesn't keep the hotspot features from working. The ToS of the Spark tells you to use it on one car, but doesn't restrict you and lets you know the "services" may not work properly - AKA the data they collect won't be accurate.

No ToS in writing states that the SIM can't be used in another device pertaining to using this device on a U+ plan, everything is Harmon Spark & Unlimited In Car Data, it's specifically the device that can't be used outside the car - I'm doing Unlimited Plus and Harman Spark plan (which i wonder if i can remove the Spark Plan and keep the data line). There is a ToS on the device that says you can't use it outside the car, and a ToS on the CCU that states the same. Since I'm on U+ who knows. The Spark services says the Spark has to have the Spark Service (telematics) added on and you gotta accept the app's permissions (which I will, but on a device I no longer use with location turned off).

All that said I'm only doing this stuff as a test for other folk who are curious. I'm going to keep it in the Spark and use it in the car. Long term use outside of the Spark/Car will have to be done by someone else.

Feedback Score
    Tear down is relatively easy. Just pop the cover off, push the OBD pin cover to remove the boards. Pop the SIM out and you're good to go.

The device has a little LI battery, supposing it's to keep the unit from draining your car battery. You can use the device without signing up - Wifi pass is the last 12 digits of the IMEI. No embedded web UI so you can change nothing.

Tested the SIM in a velocity first. Had to get PUK comes locked also. Unlocked, put new PIN. Velocity says plan isn't recognized and speeds are throttled tethered speeds. Put it in a Nighthawk and took off the SIM security after entering the new pass. Speeds were normal on the NH - 40-50Mb/s.

Putting it back in the Spark to make sure it works since i removed the PIN.

I'll post picks later tonight or tomorrow. Gotta cook dinner and work out so won't be too much time to do it tonight.

Put it back in the car and it flashed red and shut down. Took it off and booted again and worked fine. Not sure if it re-passworded the SIM or not. Don't feel like taking it apart again.

So yes, you can swap the SIM and it will work fine in the NH. Not sure why it didn't work well in the Velocity. Long term, no clue if things will go bad for you. I might sign up for the Samsung crap cause some of it seems pretty handy... just hate giving up all that data. Definitely something to show my boss to use for the ****** salesmen we have that are lying about the mileage.
    Last edited by MadSquabbles; 10-23-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for confirming what we suspected.
    This plan is not worth attention unless the TOS loosen up, or it drops in price.
    If we look at the mobley locking, neither seems likely.

Feedback Score
    Here's the teardown info:

IMPORTANT!!! GET YOUR PUK IF YOU FEEL LIKE RISKING A SIM SWAP, YOU'LL NEED IT. THE SIM HAS A PIN.

There is a Li Battery in the unit, so be careful not to puncture it during tear down and avoid shorting anything if the unit is powered on. I don't know how to turn it off after it's been powered on. Reset button on the side didn't do anything. It did power off on its own but I haven't looked at it in 90min so I don't know when it shut down.

First use a guitar pic or better yet if you have a phone repair kit use one of the prying tools to remove the top from the bottom. It comes of easily.

Name:  IMG_20181023_163517.jpg
Views: 3298
Size:  43.3 KB

There is a mUSB port. I tried hooking it up to my computer but it didn't do anything. Maybe if I used a laptop after starting the car it may have some affect.

Next thing is to disconnect the battery. You don't have to if it's powered off, but I wouldn't suggest taking that risk. Just pop it off with a prying tool.

Name:  IMG_20181023_163935.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  62.2 KB

Go about removing the four screws. It's obvious which ones. If it's not, please put the unit back together and give it up. To remove the boards from the case you need to go to the front of the unit (where it connects to the OBD) and pry it apart at the holes with a screw driver or anything else that'll fit.

Name:  IMG_20181023_164425.jpg
Views: 3109
Size:  46.7 KB

I should have taken pictures of the back but forgot. You really don't need to remove it, but I did. Just pry the clips on the side by the clear lights and pull upwards away from the pins. Takes a little force because there are clips on the lights that hold the back piece down. To put it back on just put the side clips high up on the lights, position the copper contacts over the pins and push down til it clicks back in place. Be careful you don't damage the contacts or the pins.

Here's the unit with the SIM popped out:
    Name:  IMG_20181023_164557.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  51.8 KB

It's extremely easy to do. I've put it back together and gonna start using it in the car tomorrow. I haven't used the Spark app yet and unless they force it, I'm gonna keep it that way. Downside is that I have no access to changing any settings or checking any diagnostics (not sure if the app allows that anyways).

There you have it. Anyone wanna try long term SIM swapping it's doable. If you have a nighthawk you can place the SIM in it, use the PUK to unlock and assign a new PIN, and finally remove the SIM security. Can't do it from a velocity. Still not sure why the velocity didn't work properly. The message was that it couldn't get data usage because it couldn't recognize the plan. Tests had it running about 40KB/s (about 320Kb/s). NH had no such issues.

First thing you'll notice if you get one is how much heavier it is than the Mobley. It has heatsinks, rf shields, the battery, etc. The only thing I didn't think of is the crappy location of the OBD in my new car. If I move the wrong way I'll end up kicking the unit. It's thicker than the Mobley by ~.25" and shorter by ~.5".

Feedback Score
    Where do get the PUK from? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by internaut View Post
    Where do get the PUK from? Thanks.
    Just call AT&T ask the robot to send you to a CSR. Give them the number you want the PUK for and they'll give you to set of PUK. use the first one, the second one is the "OH CRAP" one you use if you enter the first PUK wrong 10 times.

Feedback Score
    Did you try ATT wifi manager for settings?

Feedback Score
    That is so bizarre that the Velocity actually prompted an ‘incompatible plan’ error, yet the Nighthawk worked like a charm.

Feedback Score
    Tried to load ATT wifi manager from browser and no luck; not found.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Archegos View Post
    That is so bizarre that the Velocity actually prompted an ‘incompatible plan’ error, yet the Nighthawk worked like a charm.
    Could have just been some kind of generic error that could have gone away if I reseated SIM and rebooted the device. It actually said "Unknown Plan".

Quote Originally Posted by internaut View Post
    Tried to load ATT wifi manager from browser and no luck; not found.
    Yeah, tried direct IP address too, 192.168.43(?).1 or something like that. Haven't used the App so I don't know what info it can serve up.

Feedback Score
    Here's some thoughts I posted in a thread on reddit regard the ToS:
    I actually used my CCU line in the car, albeit in a Velocity instead of the Mobley. I wanted to use the Mobley, but was afraid of what to do when it died. The Spark fills that gap. I've got plenty of Hotspot lines from AT&T, Sprint, and the old gUDP on verizon so i don't need the Spark I just like not having to think about turning the unit on and off while traveling.

Still if you read the CCU there are a bunch of gray areas that make it seem that it's pretty hard to actually violate the terms. Like you can get a CCU line if you have a car - no specific wording that the plan has to be used in the car, you just have to have a qualifying car. Sure it's "no duh" that you have to use it in the car, but without the specific wording you're not technically violating it by putting the plan on the device other than the car. Even the Spark on CCU. It specifically says "Spark Plan & CCU", not or. So you can't use the Spark device outside of the car on the CCU. The Spark plan says the same "the device" which if you swap SIMs you're not using the device any more and you're not using "Spark & CCU", just CCU (or in my case Unlimited Plus - which there is no terms denying a SIM swap that I'm aware of so I could be wrong).

Common sense tells you don't do it, but if you do and you get caught you may be able to fight a termination by point this stuff out. It may not count for a hill of beans, but anything's worth a shot if you wanna keep you lines.

You oughta check out the ToS. It's freaking huge. Just using the mobile hotspot as a home replacement or back up to a home connection is a ToS violation. Using a router to send a keep alive signal is a ToS violation.
    So with all that crap technically you stick this in a Mobley and use it where ever you want since the Mobley has no restrictions on where you can use it and neither does the CCU plan (do specific wording on not using it outside the car). The Spark and "Spark & CCU" are the only devices/combo that have the "in car" restriction. So "Mobley & CCU" or "Mobley & Unlimited Plus" or "Spark & Unlimited Plus" do not say "in car" only.

Since you can put the Spark on a Unlimited Plus acct maybe someone can check if you can add a Mobley to the U+ also. It may be the only option for those looking for unlimited hotspot on a U+ acct.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadSquabbles View Post
    Here's some thoughts I posted in a thread on reddit regard the ToS:

So with all that crap technically you stick this in a Mobley and use it where ever you want since the Mobley has no restrictions on where you can use it and neither does the CCU plan (do specific wording on not using it outside the car). The Spark and "Spark & CCU" are the only devices/combo that have the "in car" restriction. So "Mobley & CCU" or "Mobley & Unlimited Plus" or "Spark & Unlimited Plus" do not say "in car" only.

Since you can put the Spark on a Unlimited Plus acct maybe someone can check if you can add a Mobley to the U+ also. It may be the only option for those looking for unlimited hotspot on a U+ acct.
    I’m not able to add the Spark to my Unlimited Plus account like you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    I’m not able to add the Spark to my Unlimited Plus account like you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still available for me:
    Name:  spark.png
Views: 2992
Size:  176.2 KB

Keep in mind, this device will not run without the car running and if you're stationary for 30min wifi will shut off.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast