Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: how much do you rely on CDMA/1x?

Carrier(s)
    Verizonwireless
    Feedback Score
    I pick up the phone ,make a call or text or send an email. Why should I care what system my Iphone is on

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddeli View Post
    I pick up the phone ,make a call or text or send an email. Why should I care what system my Iphone is on
    This is HowardForums, an enthusiast community of people more likely to care about this kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone XS:
    Verizon February UDP (Physical Sim)
    AT&T Unlimited Plus (E-SIM)

iPad Pro 10.5:
    Verizon February UDP

Rural Internet:
    Nighthawk HW1.0 LTE on AT&T Unlimited Plus
    Don’t cheap out on your cables!!!
    Years of struggle to get good speeds on a crap signal
    All solved with some quality LMR400 cables
    (went from 1-6mbps to 20-60mbps!!!)

AT&T Fiber

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Have you been reading the thread about the reception problems with the iPhone XS? Why would you take a chance on purchasing one? Just curious.
    I’ve had my XS Max since launch day and had zero signal issues compared to my 8plus. Seems no worse or better than the 8. Maybe I got lucky with a good unit who knows. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    rely on CDMA scale 1-10?
    None. I don't think my phone ever goes to 1x.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddeli View Post
    Why exactly are you on a wireless carrier enthusiast forum then? And you probably do care, if you go to use data and it's unbearably slow, you're probably on 3G/1X.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon AT&T Dual SIM
    Feedback Score
    I have the opposite problem, often when I have one bar of LTE its unusable (literally unusable - nothing works), but if I switch to 3G everything starts working (albeit slowly). This happened to me yesterday at a hotel conference room in downtown new orleans. By switching to 3G I could send imessages and receive calls again.

Feedback Score

For being the capitol of Florida, VZ sure can't make the network work worth a damn. Hurricane Michael of course didn't help, but I was halfway hoping the restoration effort would include fixing the outstanding problems.

I've found my only solution is to drop to CDMA to get voice and halfway functional data

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    What provider is the best in the capitol of Florida?

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crkeehn View Post
    Normally I would say that I would be indifferent. I live in an urban area with excellent LTE coverage. However this weekend, I took a trip to visit my Mom, they live in a poor cell coverage area. My car's infotainment system displays the cellular service that the phone is connected to. I noticed that in her neighborhood, coverage dropped to 3G service and not long afterwards, actually dropped to 1X for a while.
    I live in an urban area too, with what's suppose to be excellent LTE coverage. Matter of fact, it was one of Verizon's first LTE areas, and Verizon held us out as an example of their wonderful and bright future (back at that time).

However, it is still "swiss cheese" with very pronounced holes in LTE coverage. I would notice that when I fell into one of these LTE holes, my phone would switch back to 3G. Not great, but I still had coverage.

Now, when I fall into one of these LTE coverage holes, I get "No Service". That's pretty bad. Really bad.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless(prepaid)
    Feedback Score
    rely on CDMA scale 1-10?
    1 for me.. In the past eighteen months I have only seen CDMA once in my area. And that was on a bridge being worked on. Prior to the work it was always LTE. Just like it is everywhere else I go in the DC area. My Galaxy S8 always connects to LTE..

Feedback Score

how much do you rely on CDMA/1x?

For me I would say a 2. Verizon LTE is quite robust in the NYC metro and everywhere I’ve traveled. CDMA is still needed until they can add more density. My concern is the rural areas of America where CDMA travels an incredible distance and is reliable. Intel is coming out with a 5G modem capable of all bands ( including CDMA is promising). Once Verizon refarms 850 to LTE they should still keep a sliver of that spectrum for the reliable 1x calling they’re known for.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjaiceman View Post
    It depends on how your line was activated if you would get it or not. If you just did a SIM swap from an already activated phone into the iPhone, then you would need to call in to have it added. If you activated through the website with a new SIM, then it should add it for you. If you go to your devices on MyVerizon, it should say CDMALSS, but it won't automatically be added. The CS rep will see that in the devices list then be able to add it on their side.
    Ok I’m a bit confused. Is this only applicable for phones that lack CDMA like an AT&T or TMobile version? I got my phones through Verizon.

Feedback Score
    rely on CDMA scale 1-10?
    1. I haven’t seen a 3G or 1x icon on my smartphones in years. I can’t wait for Verizon to shut it off.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    1. I haven’t seen a 3G or 1x icon on my smartphones in years. I can’t wait for Verizon to shut it off.
    It’s still going to be needed in those rural areas where 1x travels far and is reliable .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    It’s still going to be needed in those rural areas where 1x travels far and is reliable .
    I’m sure that’s gonna be addressed with adding LTE bands that travel further and/or more small cells and/or towers.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast