Thread: Unlocked iPhone XR?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Unlocked iPhone XR?

I notice that the iPhone XR doesn't have an option to buy the unlocked version. You can still get it unlocked by picking a carrier and pay in full. My question is that since you have to pick a carrier to make a purchase, does it come with that carrier bloatware?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dbear4nwa View Post
    I notice that the iPhone XR doesn't have an option to buy the unlocked version. You can still get it unlocked by picking a carrier and pay in full. My question is that since you have to pick a carrier to make a purchase, does it come with that carrier bloatware?
    iPhones never comes with carrier bloatware (not allowed by Apple), even on models bought from carriers. However, even if you paid the carrier the full price at once, your iPhone may still be required to be active on that carrier for a number of days before it can be unlocked. The only exception is if you bought the iPhone from Verizon; in that case the phone comes unlocked automatically. However, Verizon may be changing their unlock policy soon or at any moment (see link below):
    https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/1...payment-plans/

If you wait a few weeks or months, Apple will offer the unlocked iPhone XR directly. Apple usually do not offer the unlocked version right away. The iPhone XS/XS Max was an exception.
    Last edited by user1name; 10-23-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    see here - https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-...ocked_id110164 it says that you can buy the T mobile version at full price and it will have the UN-carrier sim but unlocked.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by user1name View Post
    iPhones never comes with carrier bloatware (not allowed by Apple), even on models bought from carriers. However, even if you paid the carrier the full price at once, your iPhone may still be required to be active on that carrier for a number of days before it can be unlocked. The only exception is if you bought the iPhone from Verizon; in that case the phone comes unlocked automatically. However, Verizon may be changing their unlock policy soon or at any moment (see link below):
    https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/1...payment-plans/

If you wait a few weeks or months, Apple will offer the unlocked iPhone XR directly. Apple usually do not offer the unlocked version right away. The iPhone XS/XS Max was an exception.

I saw a few places that say if you buy the T-Mobile version and paid in full, you'll get it unlocked. I didn't know about iPhone come clean of carriers app. That something all phones should do. Anyway it's good to know that they will release the unlocked version soon. I was planning to upgrade my daughter's 6s to this new XR that she wanted sometime this week but I guess she can wait another few weeks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see here - https://www.phonearena.com/news/How-...ocked_id110164 it says that you can buy the T mobile version at full price and it will have the UN-carrier sim but unlocked.
    Nice find, hope it truly is unlocked. T-Mobile normally requires 40 days of active service before you can request unlock.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I saw a few places that say if you buy the T-Mobile version and paid in full, you'll get it unlocked. I didn't know about iPhone come clean of carriers app. That something all phones should do. Anyway it's good to know that they will release the unlocked version soon. I was planning to upgrade my daughter's 6s to this new XR that she wanted sometime this week but I guess she can wait another few weeks.
    You can order the T-Mobile version from Apple paid in full and see if it's unlocked. If not, you can return it within 14 days for a full refund (once upon a time it was 30 days).

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    You can order the T-Mobile version from Apple paid in full and see if it's unlocked. If not, you can return it within 14 days for a full refund (once upon a time it was 30 days).
    That would work, but be a big hassle if it turned out to be wrong. If in an area with an Apple store, probably easier to just go to store. Third party companies probably won't sell it unlocked at launch.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Any iPhone sold by Apple and paid in full is sold Unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by aokusman View Post
    Any iPhone sold by Apple and paid in full is sold Unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the post. I just now tried buying the iPhone XR direct from Apple through each of the carrier and when selecting the option of full payment, it does say "Unlocked iPhone with [insert carrier name] SIM." So you can choose any carrier, not just T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Unlocked iPhone XR?

Thanks for the post. I just now tried buying the iPhone XR direct from Apple through each of the carrier and when selecting the option of full payment, it does say "Unlocked iPhone with [insert carrier name] SIM." So you can choose any carrier, not just T-Mobile.
    The only reason you choose T-mobile is because the purchase process does not require declaring any current or future service entanglements. With the other carriers you have to either give your current account info or sign up for their service during the XR purchase.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thank you all for all the info. I just tried the pre-order option and it won't be available till Nov. 7th. I might as well wait and visit an Apple store to pick one up.