Thread: Why won't my Android Google settings stay where I've set them?

Feedback Score

Why won't my Android Google settings stay where I've set them?

I have an Android phone, a Vortex Pulse. I installed the Google Chrome Beta app, and it seems to work well, except that I'm constantly overrun by a tidal wave of annoying, often offensive pop-up ads. I have to keep going into my History, and deleting them, and they keep coming as fast as I can delete them. I also keep getting false "virus warnings" telling me my Android is infected by a virus and if I leave the page, my Android will be ruined, which turned out to be completely ridiculous. Doing research on this, someone said to go into the Google Chrome Settings, to Notifications, and change the setting to block all notifications. I did so, and presto, all those pop-ups stopped, at least for the rest of the day, while I still had the phone on. But when I powered the phone on the next day, the pop-ups were back, and when I went back into the Settings, to my surprise the setting I had changed had gone back to what it was originally, to allow Notifications. I again switched the Notifications setting to "Blocked", as before, but the same thing keeps happening, the setting refuses to stay where I put it. What's up with that? Is that the way this is supposed to work? Do I have a ghost in my phone that keeps undoing what I keep trying to do?

Feedback Score
    What is a Google Chrome Beta app? I'd uninstall it, reboot & run a virus scan with a top AV. Other than that I'd factory reset.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 5GB exp 09.27.20
    Red Pocket (AT&T) UTnT 1GB exp 02.12.20
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 04.11.20

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by controlvoice View Post
    I have an Android phone, a Vortex Pulse. I installed the Google Chrome Beta app, and it seems to work well, except that I'm constantly overrun by a tidal wave of annoying, often offensive pop-up ads. I have to keep going into my History, and deleting them, and they keep coming as fast as I can delete them. I also keep getting false "virus warnings" telling me my Android is infected by a virus and if I leave the page, my Android will be ruined, which turned out to be completely ridiculous. Doing research on this, someone said to go into the Google Chrome Settings, to Notifications, and change the setting to block all notifications. I did so, and presto, all those pop-ups stopped, at least for the rest of the day, while I still had the phone on. But when I powered the phone on the next day, the pop-ups were back, and when I went back into the Settings, to my surprise the setting I had changed had gone back to what it was originally, to allow Notifications. I again switched the Notifications setting to "Blocked", as before, but the same thing keeps happening, the setting refuses to stay where I put it. What's up with that? Is that the way this is supposed to work? Do I have a ghost in my phone that keeps undoing what I keep trying to do?
    You have a rogue app there. Likely it is something that recently updated. Assuming that the Chrome Beta was downloaded from the PlayStore and not from some email link or the web, it should not be that. Sometimes apps we have get ads, intrusive ads added when the developer updates. Go to the play store and go to my apps and look at recently updated. It is likely one of those.

The other possibility is that the chrome beta had something done to it. Go to settings, apps, app info, chrome, storage and clear the cache.

That usually works. You can also download Malwarebytes from the playstore and run that to see if it can locate the app for you that is doing this.

Last resort is to factory reset. If you do that backup your photos, music, etc before you do that and make sure your contacts are sync'd. If you reset, add apps back one at a time and see what happens. That way you can locate the one doing it.

Good luck