Thread: MVNO speeds are 23% worse than those from host operator

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

MVNO speeds are 23% worse than those from host operator

Other operators, though, offered speeds roughly similar to their MVNOs.

“In our tests, Tutela found that the MVNO download performances of Consumer Cellular, LycaMobile, MetroPCS and Ultra Mobile were remarkably similar to T-Mobile,” the firm noted. “However, MetroPCS’ website states that its customers’ data is 'prioritized below data of some T-Mobile-branded customers at times and locations where competing network demands occur.' Tutela’s data reveals that at busier times MetroPCS customer experience lags further behind T-Mobile than at quiet times.”

MVNO speeds are 23% worse than those from host operator, report says

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That's obvious. TMobile and similar operators will prioritize post-paid users in order to give them the better experience. Postpaid still has much more value than prepaid. So therefore to prioritize postpaid / prepaid makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post

“In our tests, Tutela found that the MVNO download performances of Consumer Cellular, LycaMobile, MetroPCS and Ultra Mobile were remarkably similar to T-Mobile,” the firm noted. “However, MetroPCS’ website states that its customers’ data is 'prioritized below data of some T-Mobile-branded customers at times and locations where competing network demands occur.' Tutela’s data reveals that at busier times MetroPCS customer experience lags further behind T-Mobile than at quiet times.”

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post

Hmm, on my Redpocket/Verizon phone I get 106-113 Mb/sec down and about 25Mb/s up. I wonder how much faster it would be on Verizon proper. But I doubt if I could tell the difference between 106Mb/s and 200Mb/s.
    “It's best not to argue with people who are determined to lose. Once you've told them about a superior alternative, your responsibility is fulfilled and you can allow them to lose in peace.” Mark Crispin, inventor of the iMAP e-mail protocol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    Hmm, on my Redpocket/Verizon phone I get 106-113 Mb/sec down and about 25Mb/s up. I wonder how much faster it would be on Verizon proper. But I doubt if I could tell the difference between 106Mb/s and 200Mb/s.
    HoFo has a cadre of speed-tester hobbyists who care about such things. Otherwise, this news is a distinction without a difference.

We have an AT&T postpaid phone, a postpaid hotspot, and a phone on Tracfone with AT&T service. I notice no difference in the data speed between them. We only get 2-8 Mbps with our devices around here. I guess that is all they have provisioned here, or our devices don't have advanced capabilities. I know they don't have carrier aggregation or MIMO.

There is a threshold for noticing slow data. For me, the threshold is 2 Mbps. At 2 Mbps or above, I don't notice any delay when using data, below I may notice. I definitely notice on my Verizon phone at times and places when Vz is slammed congested and only giving half a Mbps.

If our postpaid phone was getting 5 Mbps and the Tracfone was getting 3.85 Mbps (23% less), I absolutely would not notice.

This is about data on a phone. Multi-user premises data with several simultaneous video streamers and gamers is a whole different story.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    HoFo has a cadre of speed-tester hobbyists who care about such things. Otherwise, this news is a distinction without a difference.

We have an AT&T postpaid phone, a postpaid hotspot, and a phone on Tracfone with AT&T service. I notice no difference in the data speed between them. We only get 2-8 Mbps with our devices around here. I guess that is all they have provisioned here, or our devices don't have advanced capabilities. I know they don't have carrier aggregation or MIMO.

There is a threshold for noticing slow data. For me, the threshold is 2 Mbps. At 2 Mbps or above, I don't notice any delay when using data, below I may notice. I definitely notice on my Verizon phone at times and places when Vz is slammed congested and only giving half a Mbps.

If our postpaid phone was getting 5 Mbps and the Tracfone was getting 3.85 Mbps (23% less), I absolutely would not notice.
    I've used many different types of MNVOS and I do not notice any differences between 8 megabytes in 100 unless you download something.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    I've used many different types of MNVOS and I do not notice any differences between 8 megabytes in 100 unless you download something.
    True. Loading a web page or a HoFo topic is downloading something. I don't really notice much there. When I do more intense downloads like app updates, I put the phone down and do something else so it doesn't bother me.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Exactly for me. I have Comcast so when I use an mnvo in place of T-Mobile I don't notice anything. so for me I'm home most of the time with a 400 megabyte plus Internet connection Everything Is Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    True. Loading a web page or a HoFo topic is downloading something. I don't really notice much there. When I do more intense downloads like app updates, I put the phone down and do something else so it doesn't bother me.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    So what? Assuming decent signal, no one can logically argue that the data speed provided by metro or even throttled cricket service is of any big consequence other than maybe extreme streaming.

The biggest advantage is being able to post better speed test results. Whoopi
    Last edited by plane; 10-31-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    Exactly for me. I have Comcast so when I use an mnvo in place of T-Mobile I don't notice anything. so for me I'm home most of the time with a 400 megabyte plus Internet connection Everything Is Awesome.

"400 megabyte" is that 400 Mbps ? You mind sharing who is you internet provider, is it cable and at what cost?

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CelledAway View Post
    "400 megabyte" is that 400 Mbps ? You mind sharing who is you internet provider, is it cable and at what cost?
    400 Mbps.. damn autocorrect. I have Comcast I only pay about 80 bucks for it.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6s, Ipad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon/Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I wonder how much of this had to do with many of the MVNO's having plans that limited speeds for a long time (like cricket with their 3 mb/s, and even for awhile att prepaid). When I tested prepaid out in the past, I did not notice any differences in terms of speeds compared to the postpaid in the same areas.

Feedback Score
    23% less average speed may mean no service 23% of the time and host speed for the rest of the times. Useless quarter of the time?
    Some years ago I was switching between ATT and TMO MVNO services on a highway just to get some traffic info. Got a kilobyte of data here and there.