Thread: T-Mobile is HORRIBLE in the Lower Midwest!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile | $10 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING + $20 SPEED BOOST
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile is HORRIBLE in the Lower Midwest!

I just got back from a trip for work that took me to (with an LG K30):

Oklahoma: Tulsa, Okla. to Dallas, Tex. via Noble, Okla. service was fine in the cities but horrible in between; then through the Choctaw Nation it was not much better.

Texas: Dallas was great, outside of Dallas was decent.

Arkansas: In the Ozarks, throughout northwest Arkansas, signal was spotty. Service was a bit better in the Ouachitas in west-central Arkansas.

Missouri: In and around Branson (north to Walnut Shade), signal was hit and miss.

Kansas: From Joplin, MO to Caney, KS it would be 10 miles of "bell curved" signal, 2 miles without service, 10 miles with "bell curved" signal, 2 miles without service... The entire drive.

Data service was okay wjen you got signal (mostly 4G LTE), but it was hard to get a text out and incoming texts came through in repetitive sets of 3 or 4 at times, and voice service was choppy and distorted with a 85%+ call drop rate.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Branson, MO was an area that T-Mobile didn't understand needed coverage. After all, in the 2000 census there were only 6K residents. It took a lot of complaints from vacationers to wake T-Mobile up.

Really, if you plan to make long road trips off the Interstate system, you should have at least some sort of backup phone. T-Mobile is improving very rapidly but they ain't Verizon, not yet. It sometimes seems that every step forward in native coverage is accompanied by two steps back in roaming.

P.S. Did you happen to run CellMapper during your trip?
    Last edited by DRNewcomb; 10-30-2018 at 11:14 AM.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmobiley View Post
    I just got back from a trip for work that took me to (with an LG K30):
    There is no secret that a lot of those areas have weak service from T-Mobile since US Cellular owns Band 12 in a lot of those areas. T-Mobile has purchased 600 Mhz Band 71 and deployed some of it in a lot of those areas like Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri. The problem is your LG K30 doesn't support Band 71 and you are driving in a lot of areas where USCC owns the Band 12.

Map of T-Mobile's 600 Mhz from Sept

Map of areas where T-Mobile has Band 12

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    The problem is your LG K30 doesn't support Band 71 and you are driving in a lot of areas where USCC owns the Band 12.
    The K30 has band 71

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/lg-k30

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    The K30 has band 71

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/lg-k30

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Sorry it doesn't show Band 71 for the LG K30 on Phone Arena https://www.phonearena.com/phones/LG-K30_id10879

Edit Update Note: For LG K30 Model X410TK variant for T-Mobile on Phone Arena at the bottom it does list the K30 with Band 71. So my Bad. I didn't look hard enough.

Also, I sure can't find Band 71 for the LG K30 on the Spectrum Gateway list http://www.spectrumgateway.com/compatible-phones

However, I consider T-Mobile page where it says the K30 has Band 71 the final answer now.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Interesting and informative report. Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Really, if you plan to make long road trips off the Interstate system, you should have at least some sort of backup phone. T-Mobile is improving very rapidly but they ain't Verizon, not yet. It sometimes seems that every step forward in native coverage is accompanied by two steps back in roaming.
    I'm going to give T-Mobile a try. I got a SIM and new number on a MVNO that I'll give a try on in in Oklahoma, eastern Kansas, and eastern Nebraska trip next month. But I'm only willing to give them a try since I signed up for a backup phone on a Verizon MVNO late last year. ATT has issues too in some of these areas, such as western Oklahoma and the mountain areas of Colorado.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    It certainly has gotten a lot better than it used to be. I’d complain to their twitter account. They erected a new tower when the one a mile from my house got overloaded. I get much better speeds now at home.