Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking iPhone XR

Feedback Score

Unlocking iPhone XR

I purchased an iPhone XR from Best Buy sim free. When I put my Cricket sim in the phone, it locked to Cricket. Is there anyway to get this phone unlocked? I thought it was unlocked when I bought it.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Pixel 3XL
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Some carriers will lock the phone when you insert their SIM. If it locked to Cricket and won't work when you insert a different carrier's SIM, you'll have to call Cricket and request an unlock.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Cricket said they couldn't unlock it because it wasn't purchased from Cricket

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    This is probably due to the flex model that Best Buy and some other resellers use so they don't have to stock models for every carrier.

The cricket support page doesn't cover your case, where you paid for a phone full priced. The 6 months they say you have to use it would be more applicable if you bought a discounted phone through them, then unlocked it. You may have to escalate it to someone where you can prove you have purchased the phone in full, or return it and buy the SIM free phone directly from Apple when that becomes available.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    Gold iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon variant)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrfaw View Post
    I purchased an iPhone XR from Best Buy sim free. When I put my Cricket sim in the phone, it locked to Cricket. Is there anyway to get this phone unlocked? I thought it was unlocked when I bought it.
    Off all problems, why didn’t you go to Apple store and pay full price to get factory unlocked phone from get going? I don’t see a way Cricket will unlock your XR at all. This same problem with bestbuy iPhone has been going on for years I thought everybody knows that. That phone is likely locked solid
    Can you return it to Best Buy? Sorry

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 128GB (Verizon Version) on Cricket
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I suggest you go back and return it.
    When the iphone 6 came put i had a bad experience.
    I had a full price iphone 6 i bought at apple and about a year later i switched to cricket.
    I went to apple to get it replaced under warranty because of hardware issue, when the genius set up my replacement phone he selected cricket so everything was working fine until a few weeks later when i switched to at&t it was locked.
    When back to apple and they were able to see that my original was unlocked and they tried to replace twice but keep staying unlocked, they contacted cricket and the phone wasn’t in their system.
    After spending a couple hours at the store, the manager decided to give me a full refund to a gift card and sold me a brand new iphone 6s for the same price.

Feedback Score
    I didn't buy the unlocked one from Apple because they don't sell it. I have bought iPhones full price from Best Buy and they've been unlocked. I may take it back.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I bought the Verizon model from Apple. It’s unlocked and I didn’t have to provide any Verizon account info. Not much of a reason to wait for the sim free model this year since all the models are the same. Hope you are able to return or unlock the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrfaw View Post
    I didn't buy the unlocked one from Apple because they don't sell it. I have bought iPhones full price from Best Buy and they've been unlocked. I may take it back.
    It is the flex phone first Sim locks it to that carrier, unless Verizon phone , you pop Verizon sim will unlock it permanently cause Verizon won’t lock their iPhone. Your best bet is return and refund. Cricket won’t do a thing. Don’t buy flex phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mtr999 View Post
    It is the flex phone first Sim locks it to that carrier, unless Verizon phone , you pop Verizon sim will unlock it permanently cause Verizon won’t lock their iPhone. Your best bet is return and refund. Cricket won’t do a thing. Don’t buy flex phone.
    There's now talk of Verizon locking devices temporarily to cut down on theft and fraud - this happened with Pixel 3s at Best Buy. I haven't researched it entirely, but just offering a word of caution that the Verizon postpaid SIM trick may not work anymore.

Feedback Score
    I think I may be seeing a similar issue with my Xr bought (paid in full) from Apple.com.

I bought the AT&T model because they technically do not offer a sim-free model yet, I paid in full and noted the site said I would received an "unlocked phone with att sim" and the FAQ claimed nearly all phones sold via Apple are unlocked (except financed via AT&T and Verizon).

I immediately removed the AT&T sim that it came with, inserted my AT&T prepaid sim and everything seemed ok. When I saw this thread it worried me so I plugged in a friend's Verizon sim and it failed to activate with some kind of "invalid sim for this phone" type of message. I imagine that may mean it is locked to AT&T now? The message wasn't completely clear.

Apple support via phone has been completely useless so far -- still working through more people now.

I also requested an unlock from AT&T through their web site, but I haven't seen the automated e-mail response (maybe because it is a weird situation).

Should a postpaid VZW sim just pop into this thing and work without notifying VZ? I know in the old CDMA days you needed to call in an ESN, but assumed with their LTE it would work if unlocked properly.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nord0296 View Post
    I think I may be seeing a similar issue with my Xr bought (paid in full) from Apple.com.

I bought the AT&T model because they technically do not offer a sim-free model yet, I paid in full and noted the site said I would received an "unlocked phone with att sim" and the FAQ claimed nearly all phones sold via Apple are unlocked (except financed via AT&T and Verizon).

I immediately removed the AT&T sim that it came with, inserted my AT&T prepaid sim and everything seemed ok. When I saw this thread it worried me so I plugged in a friend's Verizon sim and it failed to activate with some kind of "invalid sim for this phone" type of message. I imagine that may mean it is locked to AT&T now? The message wasn't completely clear.

Apple support via phone has been completely useless so far -- still working through more people now.

I also requested an unlock from AT&T through their web site, but I haven't seen the automated e-mail response (maybe because it is a weird situation).

Should a postpaid VZW sim just pop into this thing and work without notifying VZ? I know in the old CDMA days you needed to call in an ESN, but assumed with their LTE it would work if unlocked properly.
    This is not the first case I've seen where a paid in full AT&T iPhone purchased from Apple was locked. Someone on reddit said they were able to get it unlocked on the AT&T site, so I would just wait it out. If that doesn't work, try restoring in iTunes - I saw a really old article mentioning that it works: https://techcrunch.com/2012/09/26/to...-it-in-itunes/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gurase View Post
    This is not the first case I've seen where a paid in full AT&T iPhone purchased from Apple was locked. Someone on reddit said they were able to get it unlocked on the AT&T site, so I would just wait it out.
    Thanks for the note -- this is my immediate plan (wait at least a few days). I've unlocked my past phones via AT&T's online form, but cannot recall how quickly they sent any communication. I will give it a few days and see.

Does anyone know if anyone has confirmed any of the Xr devices direct from apple (paid in full) are truly sim-free and unlocked (even after initial activation) yet? Example: perhaps the T-mobile version is the best bet?

Also, apple doesn't list sim-free on the web, but their support via phone seemed to claim that they sell sim-free Xr in stores at this time, maybe if I buy one for my wife I will go this route.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the note -- this is my immediate plan (wait at least a few days). I've unlocked my past phones via AT&T's online form, but cannot recall how quickly they sent any communication. I will give it a few days and see.

Does anyone know if anyone has confirmed any of the Xr devices direct from apple (paid in full) are truly sim-free and unlocked (even after initial activation) yet? Example: perhaps the T-mobile version is the best bet?

Also, apple doesn't list sim-free on the web, but their support via phone seemed to claim that they sell sim-free Xr in stores at this time, maybe if I buy one for my wife I will go this route.
    I ordered a report from swift unlocks after activating my full price, purchased from Apple, Verizon XR confirming it is unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score

In the past history, Verizon and T mobile variants if paid in full @ Apple store you get factory unlocked phone ( my 7 plus is Verizon variant I can confirm). But this year is mixed bag, my best advice is to wait for SIM free variants before thanksgiving or Christmas so you don’t have to call or drive around getting unlocked wasting time and energy. I wait for Sim free variant, but again XR is not that of huge huge upgrade from 7 plus as average user. 7 plus is 1080 p screen versus XR 828. Though, we don’t notice it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast