Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: transferring # & service from TF Moto to AT&T Iphone SE

Feedback Score

transferring # & service from TF Moto to AT&T Iphone SE

My cousin's husband recently passed away & she wants to now use his phone on TF.

She has a TF branded Moto (not sure of model) & his phone is a contract Iphone SE that was with AT&T. She likes his phone & I told her she could transfer her service to his now deactivated phone. (just deactivated last night) She hasn't a clue how to do that & I told her I'd do it for her, but I want to ask here first to make sure I'm doing it correctly. I use TF & currently have TF sims to use, so we're go to go there. I know Verizon service is really good here (what I use) so I want to put a Verizon sim in the phone.
    Will that be a problem, since he was with AT&T & will the phone have to be unlocked? I know he used this phone for at least a couple years, so I'm thinking no, but want to be sure.

Do you recommend I do this by Chat or over the phone? I've dealt with TF CS in the past, so I'm well aware of how hit or miss that can be, depending the Rep you get.

Is there anything else I should be aware of (problem wise) or should this transfer go w/o any hitches.
    Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you'll have to have AT&T unlock the AT&T iPhone SE. It would have been better to do it before cancelling the account, but I'm guessing it can still be done.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyT View Post
    Do you recommend I do this by Chat or over the phone? I've dealt with TF CS in the past, so I'm well aware of how hit or miss that can be, depending the Rep you get.
    I recommend using Chat. The Chat reps are usually better, and you don't have to deal with their accent or poor connection. Copy and save the chat transcript for record.

Feedback Score
    So it's a matter of her calling AT&T & asking them to unlock it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I recommend using Chat. The Chat reps are usually better, and you don't have to deal with their accent or poor connection. Copy and save the chat transcript for record.
    I was thinking that also, thanks.
    So as Boz1 said, the phone has to be unlocked first by AT&T?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So as Boz1 said, the phone has to be unlocked first by AT&T?
    The phone needs to be unlocked for it to accept a non-AT&T SIM. I'm not familiar with iPhones. Do you know for sure that the phone can be used with Verizon service?

Feedback Score
    The phone needs to be unlocked for it to accept a non-AT&T SIM. Do you know for sure that the phone can be used with Verizon service?
    Actually I don't & wasn't sure whether I could do that & why I thought I'd better ask ?s here first before attempting to do this.
    I've used AT&T in the past with TF & their service was spotty. I switched to Verizon & no issues with them & why I wanted to use them with the SE. But that was awhile ago, so maybe AT&T is better now?

So if I put a AT&T sim in the SE, I won't have to get it unlocked?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A forum member reported a few months ago that his Prepaid AT&T iPhone needed to be unlocked to accept a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM. But Android AT&T phones have always accepted a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM without needing to be unlocked.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you have the phone with you, put in a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM and turn it on. If it does NOT prompt you for an unlock code, or complain about Invalid SIM, then it doesn't need to be unlocked.

Feedback Score
    If you have the phone with you, put in a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM and turn it on. If it does NOT prompt you for an unlock code, or complain about Invalid SIM, then it doesn't need to be unlocked.
    I do have it. Let me give that a try.

Feedback Score
    Just tried it & it works. No message for unlock code or invalid sim. So I guess I'm good to go?
    Should I mention on Chat this my cousins phone? It's been awhile since I did a transfer, so I forgot everything they'll ask me. IIRC, they'll want the meid from the Moto & the BYOP sim #. Anything else they might want/ask? Thank you.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Should I mention on Chat this my cousins phone? It's been awhile since I did a transfer, so I forgot everything they'll ask me. IIRC, they'll want the meid from the Moto & the BYOP sim #. Anything else they might want/ask?
    Based on my recent experience:

If you do it by contacting TF (by phone or by chat), besides the serial numbers for the phone and SIM, they'll ask for the account's PIN number or answers to the security-challenge questions.

If you do it yourself online after logging into his/her account, then you just need the serial numbers.

Feedback Score
    OK, thanks again hpham….appreciate it.
    I just checked her phone & it's the Moto E with Verizon. I just hope the AT&T service is better than what I experienced in the past. But maybe it was the particular phone I had causing issues. I guess she can always go back to the Moto E if she does have issues.

I'll have to call her or stop over to find out the pin or security ?s. Thanks again.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    A forum member reported a few months ago that his Prepaid AT&T iPhone needed to be unlocked to accept a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM. But Android AT&T phones have always accepted a TF/AT&T BYOP SIM without needing to be unlocked.
    I believe that was for an AT&T Prepaid iPhone SE. The OP is talking about a "contract" (postpaid) iPhone SE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I just checked her phone & it's the Moto E with Verizon. I just hope the AT&T service is better than what I experienced in the past. But maybe it was the particular phone I had causing issues. I guess she can always go back to the Moto E if she does have issues.

I'll have to call her or stop over to find out the pin or security ?s.
    If you'll be at her house, check and see what signal strength is shown on the iPhone with the TF/AT&T SIM in it. If it looks fine, go with AT&T service. If it looks poor, then try to get the phone unlocked and use it with a TF/VZ SIM. I did some reading on the Internet and looks like an AT&T iPhone SE can be used with Verizon service.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast