Thread: Freedompop and Xfinity Mobile

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score

Freedompop and Xfinity Mobile

I've been a long time user of freedompop, starting with a free sprint-based account and then moving on to the ATT based LTE sim cards. When the free plan/freedom friends accounts were downgraded to a max of 250MB I bought one of the 12 month 1GB plans. The catch with all of this is that ATT and Sprint don't have signal at my house. With the stormy summer and fall that we've had, we discovered that our internet is susceptible to losing connection and that leaves us without a means of communication. To solve that problem I started an Xfinity Mobile account because we do get Verizon signal at our house. Using this account for only talk and text keeps the cost to around s$2/month in fees. I am wondering if anybody has found themselves in a similar situation and has a solution for using the freedompop Ite sim at the same time as an Xfinity sim/account for calls and texts through Verizon. The calls over Xfinity are more reliable than freedompop Ite calls, so I would love some help finding a solution to be able to use both at the same time without carrying two phones. My preferred phone is a Pixel 2, but I'm open to suggestions for other phones as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRunnin View Post
    I've been a long time user of freedompop, starting with a free sprint-based account and then moving on to the ATT based LTE sim cards. When the free plan/freedom friends accounts were downgraded to a max of 250MB I bought one of the 12 month 1GB plans. The catch with all of this is that ATT and Sprint don't have signal at my house. With the stormy summer and fall that we've had, we discovered that our internet is susceptible to losing connection and that leaves us without a means of communication. To solve that problem I started an Xfinity Mobile account because we do get Verizon signal at our house. Using this account for only talk and text keeps the cost to around s$2/month in fees. I am wondering if anybody has found themselves in a similar situation and has a solution for using the freedompop Ite sim at the same time as an Xfinity sim/account for calls and texts through Verizon. The calls over Xfinity are more reliable than freedompop Ite calls, so I would love some help finding a solution to be able to use both at the same time without carrying two phones. My preferred phone is a Pixel 2, but I'm open to suggestions for other phones as well.

So your asking to use the data on FreedomPop and everything else on Xfinity mobile? Not really possible. The Pixel 2 does have An esim but FreedomPop will never support it. And Xfinity mobile might support it down the road but that’s not a guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    So your asking to use the data on FreedomPop and everything else on Xfinity mobile? Not really possible. The Pixel 2 does have An esim but FreedomPop will never support it. And Xfinity mobile might support it down the road but that’s not a guarantee.

That's the goal. LTE through freedompop and talk and text through Xfinity.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRunnin View Post
    That's the goal. LTE through freedompop and talk and text through Xfinity.

Not going to be possible unless xfinity decides to support esim. Other than having two phones.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Is xfinity gsm? If so, you could use a dual sim phone. I have that setup with Truphone for talk and text, Freedompop for mobile data.

You would need a different phone to get this to work. I don't think the Pixel 2 is dual sim.

The ideal dream setup would be to have Verizon CDMA for voice and text, Freedompop for data. However to my knowledge they don't make dual sim phones that can do CDMA too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Is xfinity gsm? If so, you could use a dual sim phone. I have that setup with Truphone for talk and text, Freedompop for mobile data.

You would need a different phone to get this to work. I don't think the Pixel 2 is dual sim.

The ideal dream setup would be to have Verizon CDMA for voice and text, Freedompop for data. However to my knowledge they don't make dual sim phones that can do CDMA too.

Xfinity uses the Verizon network. So this would be the dream set up you speak of, but I'm not really able to figure out how to make it work. Closest I've been able to find is possibly one of the OnePlus devices. They seem to be able to connect to Verizon's network (haven't seen anybody try with Xfinity) for talk/text/3G and then also work with ATT.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The only phone that might work that I have heard of is the ZTE axon 7.

I have been keeping my Page plus service alive in hopes of getting such a phone one day.

Device(s)
    Pixel3 XL, Pixel3, s9+, s8+, Atom, Axon 7, etc
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi, Xfinity Mobile, att, tmo, RP/vzw/att, TF/att, FP, Tello, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    The Pixel 2 (and 3) do have the eSIM, but it only works with Project Fi. Although there is the possibility two sims, the connections are not simultaneous, you have to manually switch from one to the other. Assuming someone else supports the eSIM eventually it will not do what you need.

You need a dual-SIM phone where one of the SIMs can be CDMA and the other can do AT&T LTE, or both can do LTE.

The Axon 7 can only do ONE LTE SIM, only SIM1 supports CDMA, and when CDMA is in slot 1, you cannot do LTE in slot 2. So not gonna work! Also Verizon is not officially supported, and is wonky.

What will sort of work is the Unihertz Atom dual SIM phone (just got it). It's tiny! It does LTE in both SIMs *except* with CDMA. There can only be one data connection and VoLTE only in Slot1. I have it running Red Pocket Verizon (data) in SIM1 and TracFone AT&T in slot 2 (voice only and it drops to HSPA probably just due to AT&T limitation). Unfortunately if you want LTE data on AT&T then it drops Verizon down to 1x for voice. Which might still be ok.

Hopefully we will see true dual LTE/VoLTE SIM phones with most/all USA bands sooner rather than later. It's not rocket science.
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    >Hopefully we will see true dual LTE/VoLTE SIM phones with most/all USA bands sooner rather than later.

SoCs supporting dual-LTE/VoLTE:

. Qualcomm: Snapdragon 450, Snapdragon 636, Snapdragon 660, Snapdragon 670, Snapdragon 675, Snapdragon 710, Snapdragon 845
    . MediaTek: MT6737, MT6739, Helio P22, Helio P23, Helio A22, Helio P60, Helio P70
    . Huawei Kirin: Kirin 710, Kirin 970, Kirin 980
    . Samsung Exynos: Exynos 9810

http://smartprix.com/bytes/dual-sim-...hing-need-know

Generally speaking, dual-LTE SoCs started showing up last year, and are just making appearances in this year's phones. They'll be more common in 2019, at least outside of US. Hopefully more Asian vendors will copy Apple's dual-SIM feature for their US models. One major roadblock however is still Verizon's certification requirement.

AFAIK CDMA is no longer a requirement to be VZW-certified--at least, the one certified Sony model didn't have it.

Some phones supporting dual-VoLTE (may not be US models):

OnePlus 6 (presumably 6T also)
    Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+
    Nokia 7 Plus
    Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
    ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1
    Honor 10
    Huawei P20 Pro
    Honor View 10
    OPPO F7
    iPhone X line (added)

http://androidcentral.com/what-dual-...hould-you-care

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, ekit, Truphone, Piranha, Three UK, Lycamobile, WorldSim
    Feedback Score

Los Angeles I have more TruPhone SIMs than FP SIMs.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    .......If so, you could use a dual sim phone. I have that setup with Truphone for talk and text, Freedompop for mobile data.
    I have more TruPhone SIMs than FP SIMs.
    What phone are you using?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have it on an irulu geoking max G36. It's GSM only. The 2nd sim slot does 3g. I only bought it because I found it on sale. It's not worth the over $300 list price. It has a nice 6 inch screen and 4300 mah battery.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by ShredFred; 11-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.