Thread: Selectel launching "unlimited" LTE (guffaw) on Verizon for $60.

Feedback Score

Selectel launching "unlimited" LTE (guffaw) on Verizon for $60.

Verizon mvno Selectel is getting ready to launch a new "unlimited lte " plan which is actually 22 gigs then throttled. Down to how fast, not sure yet. $60.

Rok mobile's Verizon division sank like a stone (ouch) when they went "unlimited lte" (which was actually 20 gb hardcapped ) last year. And Page Plus's $55 Unlimited lte gives a I believe 512 gig cap so this is no contest. I would say that the smaller mvnos that aren't Tmobile should stay out of the "unlimited" data game. Except for Tracfone and Ultra/Lyca , there are almost no independent mvnos that can SUSTAIN the guaranteed "attack of the data hogs." l

Going to be interesting to see what happens to Selectel... lol

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Really sucks that the only true unlimited data plans for Verizon are the 3 they offer to post paid (not throttled or hard cap at 20GB 4G LTE) and maybe page plus? if you don't have any credit or have bad credit you won't be able to get Verizon Post paid since they don't have no credit check post paid yet.. I'm in this situation.. even prepaid for Verizon themselves throttles to 2G speed after 20GB of 4G LTE usage as repoted by live chat

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I haven't seen this announcement anywhere yet, but I'd guess that Selectel's unlimited LTE isn't really hard throttled at 22GB. If it's like Vzw's own plans, it may be deprioritized after that much usage, but unless a local tower is overloaded, most people won't notice. PPC offers unlimited LTE for $50/mo (w/autopay), and it only states "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions." So, at $60/mo, I suspect Selectel will be just fine.

The above is just speculation on my part, because I haven't seen Selectel's announcement or a description of their $60/mo Unlimited LTE plan yet.

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    They could be doing it like US Mobile and call it "Unlimited" but only give 20GB of 4G LTE then slowes to 2G speeds for the entire rest of the month... I've seen that done by a few carriers on Verizon towers one of with slows to 64KBPS after 20 GB on "unlimited"... I think Verizon may now have a very strict set of rules on what they want prepaid unlimited to be like and it shoots the people who want Verizon towers and don't want or can't get post paid in the feet unfortunately (myself included)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Whitieiii, did you try the PPC $50/30 days (w/autopay) plan? It seems very odd that PPC would bother to state "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions" if they were going to throttle to 64kbps after 20GB. I know it's not the same PPC I used for 14 years, from 2001 to 2015, but it would still surprise me.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Whitieiii, did you try the PPC $50/30 days (w/autopay) plan? It seems very odd that PPC would bother to state "At 60 GB, we reserve the right to review your account for usage in violation of Page Plus's terms and conditions" if they were going to throttle to 64kbps after 20GB. I know it's not the same PPC I used for 14 years, from 2001 to 2015, but it would still surprise me.
    I did switch to page plus and am testing to see if they throttle to 2G speeds after 20GB 4G LTE usage.. I think it was ultra mobile that had the 64kbps after 20GB 4G LTE Cap not PPC but anyways what I consider unlimited may not be what other think but if I'm paying more than $50/month for data I would think and hope I would get unlimited 4G LTE and no 2G throttling because if I want throttling I'd just pay for a $30/month plan and save money because in the end it would be the same anyways

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I did switch to page plus and am testing to see if they throttle to 2G speeds after 20GB 4G LTE usage.. I think it was ultra mobile that had the 64kbps after 20GB 4G LTE Cap not PPC but anyways what I consider unlimited may not be what other think but if I'm paying more than $50/month for data I would think and hope I would get unlimited 4G LTE and no 2G throttling because if I want throttling I'd just pay for a $30/month plan and save money because in the end it would be the same anyways
    My wife used Ultra Mobile for a little over a year for their excellent international calling features, until we figured out how to communicate with international friends/family for free over WiFi.

https://www.ultramobile.com/product/49-plan-sim-kit/ indicates the following, which makes me wonder if what you said about Ultra throttling to 64Kbps after 20GB LTE is accurate.
    "In an effort to ensure the best possible experience for all our customers, unlimited data subscribers consuming in excess of 50GB of data prior to the expiration of their 30-day pre-paid cycle may have subsequent data speeds slowed and/or deprioritized during times of congestion or heavy network usage for the remainder of such applicable 30-day cycle."

The above makes it sound like 50GB LTE is guaranteed on Ultra's unlimited plan, and after 50GB LTE, speeds may be slowed/deprioritized based on tower load.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Ok I found who it was.. it was credo mobile that throttles to 64kbps after 20GB of 4G LTE.. ultra mobile isn't a Verizon MVNO is it?

Feedback Score
    This plan is now available from Selectel. It is not yet listed on their web site. Any dealer can get it for you.
    $60 for 22 GB of "High Speed" (really 5 MPBS) data followed by very slow (2G) data. Of course domestic unlimited talk and text.
    You can add domestic roaming and calling from the US to any cell/landline in Mexico and Canada for $5 more ($65 total).
    This is no more or less "unlimited" than any other so called unlimited plan out there. It has throttling at a specified limit but continues to give "data" although very slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGW View Post
    This plan is now available from Selectel. It is not yet listed on their web site.
    The $60 is now on the web site.

Feedback Score
    The $60 is now on the web site.
    Why would anybody choose selectel or US Mobile hard capped unlimited plans that cost MORE than page plus or straight talk (which aren't hard capped) do they think people are stupid?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    This plan is now available from Selectel. It is not yet listed on their web site. Any dealer can get it for you.
    $60 for 22 GB of "High Speed" (really 5 MPBS) data followed by very slow (2G) data. Of course domestic unlimited talk and text.
    You can add domestic roaming and calling from the US to any cell/landline in Mexico and Canada for $5 more ($65 total).
    This is no more or less "unlimited" than any other so called unlimited plan out there. It has throttling at a specified limit but continues to give "data" although very slowly.
    I see. So that's really different than what was portrayed in the first post. That's okay. Probably some news source got it wrong initially. What you've described makes much more sense coming from Selectel than an "unlimited LTE" plan.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    Why would anybody choose selectel or US Mobile hard capped unlimited plans that cost MORE than page plus or straight talk (which aren't hard capped) do they think people are stupid?
    Well, the Selectel plan isn't hard capped, but if you just mean that there's limited LTE at a higher cost, you have a good point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alj96z View Post
    I choose Selectel because I need domestic roaming and this is the MVNO that offers the best price for that. I also have numerous years of knowing what areas I get solid service that just works. I've shopped around so I'm not stupid nor is Selectel.