Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile inks $533M reciprocal long-term spectrum lease deal with Sprint

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs 256 GB Gold, Nexus 6P 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility, Can and String, Smoke Signals, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile inks $533M reciprocal long-term spectrum lease deal with Sprint

B2+B66+B30+B5 (20 MHz + 10 MHz + 10 MHz + 5 MHz)
    Minneapolis, MN

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Interesting find. Does that mean we eventually may be able to use some of Sprint's Band 41 prior to merger approval?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Interesting find. Does that mean we eventually may be able to use some of Sprint's Band 41 prior to merger approval?
    I wonder how that works. T-Mobile needs to go to all the towers and add yet another antenna? Or I wonder if any of the existing ones can simply have band 41 switched on.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This looks like two things: 1) a way to get a jump on the merger by allowing T-Mobile to access some of Sprint's 2.5 GHz and maybe give Sprint access to some of T-Mobile's mid-band in return and 2) a back-up plan in case the merger is delayed or disapproved.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Since this is a spectrum lease (not a swap) I'd be inclined to say that T-Mobile pays Sprint to use their spectrum and will be able to build Band 41 equipment on their own cell grid so that we could use the new spectrum quickly. Since this is reciprocal I would agree that Sprint would add equipment compatible with Magenta's spectrum to some of their sites.

I'm all for this. This could alleviate congestion for those who currently experience it and add some much needed capacity in crowded urban areas.

Are you guys in agreement that T-Mobile's existing LTE grid spaced out for Band 2/4 would be sufficient to add Band 41 without any additional RF degradation?

Baja California / Baja California Sur / D.F.
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Are you guys in agreement that T-Mobile's existing LTE grid spaced out for Band 2/4 would be sufficient to add Band 41 without any additional RF degradation?
    I believe the point of this arrangement is to get devices off of B2/B4 when B41 is available for the device and have the customer use B2/B4/B41 for a better experience. When you add a mix of older/newer low-end, mid-range, and high-end devices you're putting a strain on B2/B4, however if devices can use B41 and use carrier aggregation, the user will have a better experience and leave B2/B4 for devices which truly need it. B41 is only used to augment the other bands and when the user has a supported device, the network conditions warrant its usage, and is within range of the B41 source.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ....Are you guys in agreement that T-Mobile's existing LTE grid spaced out for Band 2/4 would be sufficient to add Band 41 without any additional RF degradation?
    I don't agree that T-Mobile's network is necessarily "spaced out for Band 2/4". In some markets (e.g. NYC) T-Mobile's sites are spaced 200-500 m apart. That's not optimal spacing for mid-band but is about right for 2.5 GHz downlink. Just 20 MHz of 2.5 GHz could do T-Mobile a world of good in some urban markets.

Similarly, Sprint could use some mid-band in suburban markets.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Could just be a way of transferring $533 mil to sprint, who is bleeding money hand over fist,and and giving Tm a legitimate 533m tax deduction. Andy when they buy sprint,they get it back.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Either way you slice it, this is a very shrewd move on T-Mobile part.

I'm all for whatever enhances service.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    But do most phones used on T-Mobile have band 41? For example do the iPhone 8 and new iPhones have band 41? If not this doesn’t seem like it would help much.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by obeythelaw View Post
    But do most phones used on T-Mobile have band 41? For example do the iPhone 8 and new iPhones have band 41? If not this doesn’t seem like it would help much.
    The iPhone 8 (A1863) does, as do the iPhone 7 (A1778), iPhone SE and iPhone 6s. So does the iPhone X (A1901)
    The Samsung line appear to be crippled in firmware. The Galaxy S7 (G930T) does not but the G930S does. The S8 (G950T), S8 Active and S9 all appear to have band 41. I assume the Plus versions of all these phones are the same as the base model.

Any traffic that can be offloaded from the current bands helps not only people whose phones support band 41 but also everyone else.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have an Umidigi One Pro which supports band 41.
    "Inside many liberals is a totalitarian screaming to get out. They don't like to have another point of view in the room that they don't squash and the way they try to squash it is by character assassination and name calling."

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    The iPhone 8 (A1863) does, as do the iPhone 7 (A1778), iPhone SE and iPhone 6s. So does the iPhone X (A1901)...
    Just a quick clarification on the iPhone SE -- only the Sprint sold iPhone SE has band 41 compatibility -- there are two versions of the SE, and the Sprint sold version is the Asian version with Band 41 TDD. The remaining US versions do not have Band 41.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I don't agree that T-Mobile's network is necessarily "spaced out for Band 2/4".
    And where I am which is semi-suburban, I think Sprint is on all the same towers as T-Mobile for the most part. Maybe band 41 gets too weak to be useful when you get a mile away from the tower, but then your phone could switch to band 12. When you're closer to the tower, band 41 can help take the load off 2 and 4.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Either way you slice it, this is a very shrewd move on T-Mobile part.

I'm all for whatever enhances service.

Agreed I am very impressed how strategic this agreement is for getting a start on moving people from Sprint to T-Mobile in case of a merger. Neville Ray and John Leger are just incredible.

BTW, my S9 is all set with Sprint's Band 25, 26 and 41...

850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz

LTE (FDD): Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66, 71

LTE (TDD): Bands 38, 39, 40, 41, 46

Just not sure my phone supports HPUE (High Performance User Equipment) that increases the transmitter power on the phone that is allowed by the FCC on Band 41 for increased distance connection to the tower.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast