Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: November Is Here; Time To Check The Early Black Friday Ads For Phone Deals

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    Others will find the lack wireless charging an issue, but thankfully that's one thing I'm not concerned about
    Until the USB2 port finally breaks due to daily use as charging port.
    USB2 ports are very bad designed for that frequent usage, and most of the phones get abandoned when that port breaks down.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Until the USB2 port finally breaks due to daily use as charging port.
    USB2 ports are very bad designed for that frequent usage, and most of the phones get abandoned when that port breaks down.
    What are you talking about..USB is the wall plug.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just for comparison, this phone is listed at $329 at the moment.

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 64GB Black, Dual Sim, 5.99", 6GB RAM, GSM Unlocked Global Model, No Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079816Y5T..._Vng4BbY5GWB35

It's got a snapdragon 835 processor. Equivalent would be a Samsung 8 or an essential phone. Beats the cpu in budget phones based on Mediatek, snapdragon 6xx or 4xx.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Just for comparison, this phone is listed at $329 at the moment.

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 64GB Black, Dual Sim, 5.99", 6GB RAM, GSM Unlocked Global Model, No Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079816Y5T..._Vng4BbY5GWB35

It's got a snapdragon 835 processor. Equivalent would be a Samsung 8 or an essential phone. Beats the cpu in budget phones based on Mediatek, snapdragon 6xx or 4xx.

That looks like a nice phone.

B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/18/19/20/25/26/27/28/29/30/34/38/39/40/41, CAT. 12, WCDMA B1/2/3/4/5/6/8/9/19, GSM B2/3/5/8

However, it doesn't have bands 14 or 66 or 71, if those are important to someone. I've read that 66 is a subset of 4, but I don't know exactly what that means.

Other items to note include no microSD card slot and no 3.5mm headphone jack.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    There aren't many phones out there with band 66 or 71 I this price range. When shopping for a phone, I look at what's usable for right now considering the price. All these phones are basically throwaway devices at this point anyway. There's no warranty beyond your 30 day return period anyway. There will be a better option next year.

I've got several phones on Freedompop right now each I only bought because I took a chance with them on sale. They all work basically the same in major cities. I've got a Leeco Le Pro3 that gets bands 28 and 30. A Motorola G4 which gets signal on band 12(i thought that was a T-Mobile band) and an irulu geoking max G36 that dual sim and gets signal on band 17. Other than that, the all get signal on 2 and 4.

As for headphone jack, microsd or removable battery, those are about has hard to find as bands 66 and 71.

Feedback Score
    @ShredFred do you still find FreedomPop useable after the big cut to 250 MB?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    @ShredFred do you still find FreedomPop useable after the big cut to 250 MB?
    I have large balances due to having rollover so until I deplete them, I am not affected really. Actually, I find FP's data accounting a little inconsistent but basically in my favor. I use my phones alot with mixed mobile data and wifi usage but the amount of data being consumed does not change much.

Feedback Score
    >What do you think the chances are that the Moto G7 will be released this year and will include B71?

I was referring to next year. Moto G7 should be out in March or April.

>The choices for B71 devices at the moment are a bit thin.

Well, all TMO-branded phones should have B71 now, as well as most current unlocked flagships--the operative word being "current." Sure, if you're talking about unlocked Chinese phones--which include Nokia--then their US band support has always been terrible. Ditto OnePlus phones until recently.

I had thought that band support was a "high-end" feature that trickles down, but that's not the case. It's mostly time-to-market. iPhone X didn't have B71 last year, and this year the lowly Moto E5 (which came out after G6) has it.

True that high-end SoCs/radios get new features first, but primary band support (which B71 is) is a core function, unlike supplemental bands (B66/29/30) which are nice to have, but not critical.

Speaking of future sense, I saw the Samsung sneak peek for its folding phone. The prototype looked about an inch thick when folded, half that unfolded (not exaggerating). Not knocking that, since I still remember when portable phones were literally the size of a brick, but we're still a few iterations away from folding phones being practical (and affordable).

>For instance the USB port is 2.0, which is a little too slow

That is just a major face-palm that after your mention I Had to look it up to believe it. It's true. Wow. It's almost as dumb as the 2016 OnePlus X with no B12 support. Yeah, proprietary chargers don't endear either. I suppose they didn't want to pay the license fees for QualComm's fast-charge tech.

Still, 6T is the first US model Android to have dual-SIM, and have official support from all three US carriers. (I don't count Sprint, which should be gone by next year.) That counts for something--just not for me. I could afford $500+ phones, I just don't have to.

>Here's a phone to keep your eye on. One of the least expensive snapdragon 845 phones out there at about $478

I know people like different things, but where's the appeal?--a ~$500 phone that has NO WARRANTY, mediocre band support, and only partially supports two out of three carriers. What's so great about 845 anyway, aside from it being faster? Instead of tech specs, tell me something USEFUL that it will do for you.

This reminds me of a time long ago, when I bought an Intel 386-33 CPU at special dealer demo pricing of a *mere* $400! (This was when computers still cost a couple grand or more.) I remember being thrilled at the time. It was fine and worked well. But let's just say that my days of buying on specs and buzzwords are long behind me.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I am comparing the Xiaomi to the Samsung S9 and latest iPhone, both retail for significantly more(like 900 or more).

Mediocre band support? It's got AT&T bands 2,4,5,12,17,28 and 30. It may or may not pass white list verification but it's got Verizon bands 2,4 and 13, and Sprint Bands 26, 40, 41. If that's mediocre because it's missing T-Mobile bands 66 and 71 when you can only get them from a T-Mobile branded phone then it's going to be a long wait.

Down to $439 on Amazon right now. $399 of you want to take a chance importing straight from China.

The 845 processor may not be "that" great but it's the best currently out there until the next big thing. All things being equal, get the best in class. It's more about future proofing down the road. If you keep the phone beyond the years when it gets standard stock updates, lineageos might be it's future.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    That being said, the best deal at the moment is probably that Huawei Mate SE being sold sub $124(as low as $59) at brick and mortar Walmart locations. Too bad I don't have any Walmart locations close to me.

Feedback Score
    >I am comparing the Xiaomi to the Samsung S9 and latest iPhone, both retail for significantly more(like 900 or more).

Why? Because it has 845? So that comes back to my question: What's so special about the 845 that justifies $439?

It's a rhetorical question, because there's no real answer for it. You're amped up on specs, and your price peg, comparing a Chinese import (with ZERO SUPPORT OR WARRANTY) to expensive flagships, is way out of whack. There's a simple litmus test: You yourself aren't buying one, or plan to.

>Mediocre band support? It's got AT&T bands 2,4,5,12,17,28 and 30.

Yes, mediocre. Most every "unlocked" phone supports primary US bands of 2/4/5/12. Better phones have supplemental B29/30/66. B71 will be TMO's primary band in two years. Buying a $400 phone w/o it at this point is shortsighted, unless you like paying $400 for a crippled phone.

It doesn't work for Sprint nor can it be activated on VZW. (BTW Sprint's are 25/26/41.) You're letting your enthusiasm cloud your reading, in which the vendor clearly states "no CDMA." Right next to the "NO WARRANTY."

>he 845 processor may not be "that" great but it's the best currently out there until the next big thing. All things being equal, get the best in class.

What does "best in class" even mean? Does it mean no warranty? Will it be "best in class" next year? If not, is it worth $400 to have a "best in class" phone for the next month and a half?

>It's more about future proofing down the road.

Then you may want to think harder about B71 support. Maybe a warranty would be nice as well.

>That being said, the best deal at the moment is probably that Huawei Mate SE being sold sub $124(as low as $59)

Again, why? Justify your "best deal." If it's actually good, I'm sure others would benefit from the info.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    No, I'm not in the market for a Samsung S9, latest iPhone or even this Xiaomi Mix 2s at the current price. But if prices drop further,, who knows? I don't need a Mercedes or BMW to get my groceries when a Honda Civic will suffice but if one was offered to me, I might not refuse.

If I need a B71 capable phone, I am sure they will become available in the future. I have no plans to go to T-Mobile at this moment though.

Lots of positive reviews on the Huawei Mate SE. Big battery, decent cpu, ram, near 6 inch screen and yes by the litmus test, if I could get one at the $124 or $59 price tag, I'd probably take a flyer on one. I was considering it and the Honor 7x at $199 late last year but did not fulfill my wish to have 3g/4g on the 2nd sim slot. Now if you're not into phones with large screens, this phone might be a non starter. Understandable, I couldn't convince a friend to buy either of them over a Motorola G5 plus because she felt she had to have nothing larger than a 5.2 screen phone.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Will there be any 6 inch screen phones with or without 2 sim slots for around $100 or should I buy another used Nexus 6 ?

I like my current Nexus 6 but I would like to get one another cheap 6 inch GSM phone if they are on sale Black Friday weekend

thanks for the info.....
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    >If I need a B71 capable phone, I am sure they will become available in the future. I have no plans to go to T-Mobile at this moment though.

What's the point of pitching an "unlocked" phone if it's band-crippled for one carrier and can't be activated for another? If you just want AT&T then just go buy a locked AT&T phone, which should work on AT&T MVNOs as well.

The notion of buying "best in class" for "future proofing" is bogus, because phones don't go obsolete from getting slower. They go obselete because of advancing wireless tech. The next wireless standard is 5G, and no phone now has it, not the most expensive iPhone XS Max. iPhone X last year didn't have B71. A future-proofed phone doesn't exist.

I read your other phone recommendations in the other thread, and it's apparent you like chasing specs, eg 4-way OIS, etc. I've been there. It was fun for a while, but I grew out of it. Now, it's "is this feature USEFUL for me," which is much more boring TBH. Being sensible is like being an accountant. People like new toys, and nobody wants to hear about "being sensible" when the new shiny beckons.

Speaking of obsolete,

>Lots of positive reviews on the Huawei Mate SE. Big battery, decent cpu, ram, near 6 inch screen

The Mate SE has Kirin 659, which doesn't do dual-4G, and is likely why it's marked down. Dual-SIM phones sans dual-4G/VoLTE are now obsolete, and need to be clearanced before the folks figure out the crippled function. It's fine if you just want a single-SIM phone, which should apply to most US peeps.

As for things like big battery, etc, it's pretty standard for Chinese phones. They tend to have good hardware specs, but they fall down on the software/OS, build quality, and of course CS.

Re: Reviews - Unless it's an obvious dog, most every phone will have "positive" reviews from the usual blogs, which more or less is a hands-on + promo fluff piece about superficialities like styling, appearance, etc. They don't say anything USEFUL. Here's one,

http://androidguys.com/reviews/phone...mate-se-review

Mate SE does have high Amazon review rating, which is a plus. But with it being replaced by more capable dual-SIM phones, 50% off SRP is a "normal" price for obsolete stuff. It's a borderline "good deal," but nothing to get excited about.
    Last edited by e.mote; 11-09-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Feedback Score
    The Best Buy Black Friday sale ad hit my email today. Meh, nothing particularly interesting other than some good prices on TVs that I don't need.

I will pass and save my money for a replacement Verizon phone next year when I will need VoLTE. I'm hoping that the Moto G 7 with band 71 will be out by then. No rush. Band 71 isn't coming around here anytime soon - too many TV stations to move first.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast