Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prepay Tablet Options?

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Public, Freedom
    Feedback Score

Prepay Tablet Options?

Funny most of the carriers in USA seem not to have Tablet plans?

In Canada we have options like get a free Tablet + 3GB of high speed data (or 4GB on 1 carrier) for $15 per month

Is there nothing similar in USA on prepay?
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $9 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $20 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Feedback Score
    Most people get a phone plan with hotspot and then can use a tablet on the hotspot.

AT&T has an unlimited tablet plan for $30 a month with no hotspot.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    AT&T has an unlimited tablet plan for $30 a month with no hotspot.
    ... and there's other price/allotment options as well. Sign up here. Google on how (or even check here on HoFo) to generate an iPad IMEI and any AT&T SIM (incl. ST and H20) will do.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Funny most of the carriers in USA seem not to have Tablet plans?

In Canada we have options like get a free Tablet + 3GB of high speed data (or 4GB on 1 carrier) for $15 per month

Is there nothing similar in USA on prepay?
    I had one tablet, I guess it was called the Nexus 7, the early edition. It was on the free T-mobile plan; It didn't work very well for me, and now that I have a nice smartphone, a Moto X4, I use it daily for reading or searching.

But every once in a while, I do look at tablets as something that might be useful. As a Google Fi customer, I could use a tablet that connects to T-mobile LTE data, and add the tablet to the Fi account, paying a penny per MB and no other fee except the usual Fi charges.

So that defines what my hypothetical tablet would be. Then when I look at tablets for sale, it seems like very few have the radio for cell data. I know the LTE tablets must exist. Maybe serious tablet users lean towards Apple.

I don't have a specific question, but it seems like tablet plans might be in greater demand if more tablets had the cell radio.

Feedback Score
    I got an LTE tablet for my mom on the free t-mobile plan because she has no Internet at home so it works great for her situation.

However, I think few people want to buy a separate data plan for their tablet in addition to their phone data plan.

Also many people have wired Internet at home with wifi so can use a tablet on wifi when at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Funny most of the carriers in USA seem not to have Tablet plans? In Canada we have options like get a free Tablet + 3GB of high speed data (or 4GB on 1 carrier) for $15 per month Is there nothing similar in USA on prepay?
    straight talk wireless has tablet plans but they are on the expensive side - https://get.straighttalk.com/bring-your-own-tablet/

Feedback Score
    I have my iPad4 on Straight Talk for $15/mo. I don't buy it every month. I have to get it at least every 5th month so as not to lose my number.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Some of the MVNOs offer inexpensive plans without calling that should work. For example, US Mobile offers 1GB for $10 , 2GB for $14 (and more data from there). These are generally light usage (no streaming in general, at least no video).

Prepaid tablets aren’t really a big market here, so you do need to hunt around a little to find the sub $25 options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimWorthey View Post
    I had one tablet, I guess it was called the Nexus 7, the early edition. It was on the free T-mobile plan; It didn't work very well for me
    The 1st gen Nexus 7 didn't have LTE. Not surprising it didn't work well for you considering how big a game-changer is LTE.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    About the 1st gen Nexus 7, my son gets his to work and says I'm not patient and careful enough to avoid overloading it. As to the speed of HSPA+ versus LTE, I don't think that was the issue. I never needed to watch videos. It had too little memory or something and stalled on every task. There was usually Wi-Fi. It could well be that my unit was defective.

Maybe if I'd started out with a better device, I would be a real tablet freak.

Feedback Score
    My unlocked zte at&t trek 2 hd has been surprisingly solid, it gets abused daily, I've had all kinds of at&t and TMobile sim cards in it, been using it strictly on WiFi for a few months too. Battery is still pretty solid, has TMobile band 12, and at&t bands 2,4, and 12. In addition to at&ts 2,4,5,17/12, 29,30.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Blackview BV8000
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Public, Freedom
    Feedback Score
    Well ok thanks for all the input
    I was wondering if I was just not looking at right carriers or something

It amazes me despite US having such good talk txt data plans there really is nothing comparable for a Tablet
    Up in Canada there are 3GB and 4GB plans for $15 per month (with exchange rate this is considerably cheaper than activating a US plan; esp if the carrier in US is charging even +$10 for a SIM)

As to add ons; an existing client can get $0 for 3GB (since they already paying for voice) and ALL Canadian carriers allow tether or hotspot by default no extra charges

I suppose cheapest way is just to pay the Koodo roaming charges then
    ($7 per day, and can use 8GB LTE while in US; 5 days = $35 CAD$)

Thanks for the help though

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwiz View Post
    I have my iPad4 on Straight Talk for $15/mo. I don't buy it every month. I have to get it at least every 5th month so as not to lose my number.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app
    It's an iPad. Why do you care about "losing" the number?

Feedback Score
    The best cheap plan I could find for my iPad mini is T-Mobiles simple choice mobile internet plan, it's $10/month for 2GB. Which is great except for the fact that it's impossible to go online, either to their website or using their app, and check my usage or pay my bill. It's been three months and hours spent trying to get it to work, no success.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lonnold View Post
    It's an iPad. Why do you care about "losing" the number?
    Maybe he probably means "account"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast