Thread: LG L164VL how to change micro SD

Feedback Score

LG L164VL how to change micro SD

I want to change the micro SD in my phone to a larger capacity. I've got tons of pics and contacts on my SD, how do I back these up/ or transfer them to the new card? TIA

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If your computer has a card reader, remove the SD card from the phone, insert it into the card reader, use Windows File Manager to copy all the files (press Ctrl-A to select all the files, including hidden ones) to a temporary folder on the computer. Insert the new SD card into the reader, copy all the files from the temporary folder to it. Insert the new SD card into the phone.

If your computer doesn't have a card reader, connect the phone to the computer USB port using the charging/data cable. The computer should see the phone as a removable device, with the internal memory and SD card as separate drives. Use the same process above to copy files from the old SD card to the temporary folder. Turn off the phone, swap the new SD card into the phone. Turn the phone back on, copy files from the temporary files to the new SD card.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    hpham's advice is spot on.

As an alternative, I'm a big fan of Google Photos, and I happen to have two of the same model device you have (LG Fiesta 2). I offload photos to it practically as soon as they're taken (as soon as I get a Wi-Fi connection, which allows things to happen automatically as I've got it configured to do so). Not my thing to carry every photo I've ever taken around with me when I can access them online, and if need be you can bring some back to the phone to your old card or new one.

So if you're not shy in using free Google services, Google Photos is ideal for photo management. Unlimited storage and no effects on quality with the typical smartphone camera. And it's already on your phone.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    So...Whacker...I apparently have Google Photo installed. I pull it up and click on the (cloud) backup, yet the photos stay on my android phone. Is that normal? If so, what is the purpose of the app?

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Assuming you have a Google (Gmail) account, you'd need to confirm that the Photos app shows that account connection. It will as soon as you hit the "hamburger" button (to access the Menu).

Now, I have an older version of the app on my devices, that I'm not keen on updating right away, so what I see here is probably different than newer versions.

But in there you should find selections that would make uploading to the Google Photos cloud storage either fully automatic (data connection dependent), or something you do intentionally at will.

Also, the default is that it does not delete the image files from the phone; but I believe you can select to have that occur (I don't).

The purpose of that would be for you to maintain control and access to your photos in case you lost your data connection, for instance.

If you took a bunch of shots and they uploaded and instantly were removed from the phone, and you needed to access something but for whatever reason you lost your connection, you'd be skunked for a period of time. Make sense? It's a backup that can become your main storage, in a sense.

Additional: Checked it out, and you have to always manually select "Free up space" in the Menu or "Free up device storage" in Settings to delete photos from the phone that are not stored in the cloud, so that's the safeguard and it apparently cannot be made automatic.

You can also just manually delete them using your phone's Gallery app, if you have that available.
    Last edited by whacker; 11-04-2018 at 03:50 PM.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    So...Whacker...I apparently have Google Photo installed. I pull it up and click on the (cloud) backup, yet the photos stay on my android phone. Is that normal? If so, what is the purpose of the app?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Okay, so I have backed up and synced to my google account. However, it seems all photos are still on my device. I was notified that 4.90 GB (MB ??) had been removed, however.
    As hpham noted on another post.... these smartphones are just too smart for us old geezers ! Thanks much for your help.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Okay, so I have backed up and synced to my google account. However, it seems all photos are still on my device. I was notified that 4.90 GB (MB ??) had been removed, however.
    I haven't used Google Photos for a while. I think if the photos were MOVED to Google (and deleted from your phone), then the photos that appears to still be on your phones are actually "links" to the real photos on Google. Try turning off your phone's online access (Data and Wifi) then try to look at one of those photos. If you get an error, then they're no longer stored on your phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    As hpham noted on another post.... these smartphones are just too smart for us old geezers ! Thanks much for your help.
    It's more likely Google's horrible fragmentation and syncing.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Hey, I appreciate everyone who took the time to reply. This really helped me out!