Thread: Can't leave Verizon for Page Plus or Boom

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score

Can't leave Verizon for Page Plus or Boom

Hey all

I've been with Boom Mobile for the last 2 years and before that I was with Page Plus for a long time. I finally convinced my girlfriend to switch over but we've stumbled into a problem I've never heard about. Apparently Verizon is not letting her switch to either of the two companies. Boom Mobile says they will penalize them if they switch her and Page Plus says " The phone number entered is not eligible for this plan"

Has anyone run into this before or heard anything like it? Are there any solutions or ways around it?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I've heard about that with Boom.

I've never heard about that with PPC. Did you try an online chat with a PPC CSR?

What exact phone Brand/Model? Is it being financed or is it owned free and clear?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    She just purchased (in full) an Apple iPhone XR

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilky View Post
    She just purchased (in full) an Apple iPhone XR
    Did she buy it at an Apple Store?

Maybe someone else will have more knowledge about this works with a paid-in-full iPhone XR, but maybe you can try an online chat with a PPC CSR in the meantime.

But if Vzw is somehow locking an iPhone XR that was paid-in-full/purchased outright from being used on a Vzw MVNO, that's pretty rotten!

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Chatted with Boom but not PPC

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    She got it from Apple.com. I'll try chatting with PPC and see what they say. If we can't get on PPC she was asking about Mint Mobile

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Red pocket? You have your choice on any of the 4 carriers.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    She got it from Apple.com. I'll try chatting with PPC and see what they say. If we can't get on PPC she was asking about Mint Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Red pocket? You have your choice on any of the 4 carriers.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app
    I don't have specific knowledge of how it works for iPhones that were purchased directly from Apple, but logically, it should be unlocked and available for use on ANY provider.

When she purchased it, did she have to specify what provider she was going to use it on? Is the SIM card slot unlocked for any brand SIM card?

I'm still hoping someone with specific iPhone experience with what you're describing will be able to address what's going on.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I don't have specific knowledge of how it works for iPhones that were purchased directly from Apple, but logically, it should be unlocked and available for use on ANY provider.

When she purchased it, did she have to specify what provider she was going to use it on? Is the SIM card slot unlocked for any brand SIM card?

I'm still hoping someone with specific iPhone experience with what you're describing will be able to address what's going on.
    She said it was listed as unlocked when she purchased it and they only asked her what provider she was using so that they could send her the appropriate SIM

Feedback Score
    Port to an intermediate non VZW based carrier. I suggest T-Mobile early in the week & early in the day. TM CSR probably ask you what plan you want. I've said I need a day to consult with a friend who is an expert. TM sent me a text a couple hours later welcome to TM. Then port to whomever.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 12.15.18

Feedback Score
    I don't understand why boom cares if you port out of verizon. Boom is not owned by Verizon. Boom should want all the Verizon customers they can get.

The law says you can port to any carrier.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    She said it was listed as unlocked when she purchased it and they only asked her what provider she was using so that they could send her the appropriate SIM
    In that case, unless something has changed with PPC recently, she should be able to put it on PPC.

What happens if she checks the ESN/MEID at https://www.pagepluscellular.com/byop-eligibility/ ?

Feedback Score
    Boom Mobile says they will penalize them if they switch her and Page Plus says " The phone number entered is not eligible for this plan"
    How and why would VZW penalize Boom for porting your gf's number out of VZW? ....

What plan with Page plus were you trying to use for her phone?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I don't understand why boom cares if you port out of verizon. Boom is not owned by Verizon. Boom should want all the Verizon customers they can get.

The law says you can port to any carrier.
    It's like was already stated. Apparently, Boom, and maybe other smaller MVNOs, get penalized by Vzw for porting in a Vzw postpaid # in certain (all?) circumstances.

It's unclear whether somehow PPC does NOT get penalized, or if they are just large enough not to care.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankelstein View Post
    How and why would VZW penalize Boom for porting your gf's number out of VZW? ....

What plan with Page plus were you trying to use for her phone?
    See above.

The PPC plan should be irrelevant, since ALL PPC plans can be used with that iPhone, except for the original 3G Pay-As-You-Go Plan (fka Standard Plan).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast