Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do prepaid users upgrade their phones?

Feedback Score

How do prepaid users upgrade their phones?

Good morning! I've been a verizon and att postpaid customer for years and have had good luck with the next plans when upgrading, recently ive swapped to at&t prepaid and receive the same level of quality for merely $75 a month for my wife and i that i used to pay $130 plus for.

The problem is, with prepaid plans you can't really finance a phone, you have to pay cash outright. Although i could pay cash, i really dont want to. Has anyone gone back to postpaid just to have the convenience of being able to upgrade their phone every year or two? I really dont want to pay the unnecessary fees involved with post paid plans like the line access fees etc... but cant figure out any other way except paying cash for new phones. Any help is greatly appreciated! what do you guys do?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sethman29 View Post
    Good morning! I've been a verizon and att postpaid customer for years and have had good luck with the next plans when upgrading, recently ive swapped to at&t prepaid and receive the same level of quality for merely $75 a month for my wife and i that i used to pay $130 plus for.

The problem is, with prepaid plans you can't really finance a phone, you have to pay cash outright. Although i could pay cash, i really dont want to. Has anyone gone back to postpaid just to have the convenience of being able to upgrade their phone every year or two? I really dont want to pay the unnecessary fees involved with post paid plans like the line access fees etc... but cant figure out any other way except paying cash for new phones. Any help is greatly appreciated! what do you guys do?
    Just buying the phone outright, used, or no interest credit card. Like my 2nd line wanted to upgrade there iPhone 7. Recommend them to sign up for a credit card with a bonus cash back offer. So when they bought the XR they got $200 off from the credit card offer and then just paid off the card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score

I buy inexpensive phones and use them until they are near worthless. The most I have paid for a phone is $130 for a "New Other" grade Galaxy S4 when it was only two generations old. I still use it daily. It does everything I want from a phone.

Interesting. I had not thought of the problem that would arise for someone buying a mid to high-end phone every year or two. At a year or two old from new, they would still have significant residual value. Some people sell them on eBay, Swappa, etc. with all the hassle that goes with that.

You could buy your new phone with your lowest rate credit card or a personal load from the credit union and pay for it over time like you would with a postpaid plan. There really isn't any magic about paying over time with a postpaid plan while paying much more for postpaid service that you don't need.

Hopefully others will have good ideas about how to recover the residual value of the replaced phone. Some people give them to less fortunate friends and family members.

Feedback Score
    I just pickup new phones when a great deal rolls around. If ya want the latest and greatest ya pretty much gotta buy it outright when you're on prepaid. I prefer the midrange and year old flagship market cuz new models are kinda on the steep side these days. Midrange phones have gotten really good!!!! Moto, Huawei, ZTE and year old LG flagships are where I've been hangin lately.

Feedback Score
    i surely appreciate your help guys! thank you very much, i think i will look for a flagship that is around a year old. ive always used an iphone but im super impressed and intrigued at the moment by the oneplus 6T, for the price that phone looks awesome! My poor wife has been using an iphoen 6 for over 4 years now and its about to kick the bucket, i need to get her into an xr, or an x ideally.

Feedback Score
    i surely appreciate your help guys! thank you very much, i think i will look for a flagship that is around a year old. ive always used an iphone but im super impressed and intrigued at the moment by the oneplus 6T, for the price that phone looks awesome! My poor wife has been using an iphoen 6 for over 4 years now and its about to kick the bucket, i need to get her into an xr, or an x ideally.
    Being an Iphone user severely limits your choices and she may have a hard time changing operating systems.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Last week I bought a brand new in the box Verizon branded prepaid iPhone SE (32GB) for $135 off Swappa.com. Works great.

The vast majority of my smartphone usage is streaming music and occasional phone call in the car so a 4" screen works fine for me since I can control music and calls thru my car's media console. I can easily stick the SIM card back in my Pixel 2 XL (which I also bought off swappa) if I want a bigger screen but so far haven't needed/wanted to. I just use the Pixel on WiFi now with Google Voice via Hangouts.
    Kind of fun relearning using an iPhone again.

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score

That $55 savings per month you got by going to prepaid was (in some/most respects) the financing for a new phone. Bank that $55 per month savings for a year and you have $660 to spend on a new/used phone each year if you upgrade to a new phone every year.

In my case I was paying Verizon Wireless $65 a month for post paid. Went prepaid at $25 per month. Banked the savings for six months and bought a band new mid tier phone on sale for $250 at the time. I tend to keep the same phone for two to three years before replacing them. So for me that's a significant savings and cash pile to use for a newer phone when the time comes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    That $55 savings per month you got by going to prepaid was (in some/most respects) the financing for a new phone. Bank that $55 per month savings for a year and you have $660 to spend on a new/used phone each year if you upgrade to a new phone every year.

In my case I was paying Verizon Wireless $65 a month for post paid. Went prepaid at $25 per month. Banked the savings for six months and bought a band new mid tier phone on sale for $250 at the time. I tend to keep the same phone for two to three years before replacing them. So for me that's a significant savings and cash pile to use for a newer phone when the time comes.
    This sums it up. The money you save on prepdiad, save for a new phone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Le Eco Le Pro 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

You can finance prepaid phones. Some prepaid providers do actually offer financing as do some merchants. Motorola usually sells unlocked phones with financing options. Amazon sometimes offers financing like they currently are for the Moto X4 Prime edition. Samsung also sells unlocked phones with 24 month financing and 0% APR. With that being said, I usually buy used or wait for a good deal. I don't like to pay more than $200-$300 for a phone. I just recently got a Galaxy S8 active in like new condition on eBay for $290 when they had a coupon code going.

Feedback Score
    Good morning! I've been a verizon and att postpaid customer for years and have had good luck with the next plans when upgrading, recently ive swapped to at&t prepaid and receive the same level of quality for merely $75 a month for my wife and i that i used to pay $130 plus for. The problem is, with prepaid plans you can't really finance a phone, you have to pay cash outright. Although i could pay cash, i really dont want to. Has anyone gone back to postpaid just to have the convenience of being able to upgrade their phone every year or two? I really dont want to pay the unnecessary fees involved with post paid plans like the line access fees etc... but cant figure out any other way except paying cash for new phones. Any help is greatly appreciated! what do you guys do?
    try swappa.com - https://swappa.com/

Feedback Score
    I have bought my S7 Edge a year ago in New old stock condition from eBay with $300. Still gets updates, it came from box with Android 6 and now I have 8. Working as good as any premium phone of today, only if you care about benchmarks then you need something more.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Just buy a new phone outright. You can even finance it on Amazon.com. Lots of choices now, you don't need a prepaid specific phone which usually is an underpowered budget model anyway.

Motorola G series phones are popular because of their 4 carrier compatibility. A current model G6 is going for $239 on Amazon. That's not too bad.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ShredFred View Post
    Motorola G series phones are popular because of their 4 carrier compatibility. A current model G6 is going for $239 on Amazon. That's not too bad.
    As much as I like my G5 Plus I'd be very hesitant to buy from Moto again. This is coming from using a number of Moto phones over the years going back to the Star Tac phone. Moto has been very slow pushing out security updates and full Android OS updates. My G5 Plus while it has the August 1 security patches is still stuck on the out of the box Android 7.0.0 and it's been over a year old now. Only in the last week or two have they been pushing Oreo (not Pie) to the G5 Plus US market. Hasn't reached my phone yet.

The main problem for some with the Moto G line is one may have to make hardware trade offs with certain market models. Like no NFC and no WiFi AC on my G5 Plus. But at the time I purchased it, the phone had the best ratings for a low end mid tier phone and I knew the hardware trade offs before I purchased it. No problems popping the prepaid sim out of my old phone and dropping it into the G5 Plus, phone worked without any issues.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Build quality on Motorola phones has been hit or miss lately. I was hoping the G5 plus would be significantly better than the G4 but I don't think it is.

There are other choices, especially if the op is on gsm.

Sent from my LEX727 Leeco Le Pro3 using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast