Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do prepaid users upgrade their phones?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I try to keep to 2 year old iphones from swappa.com

Feedback Score
    How do prepaid users upgrade their phones?

Some people buy flagship phones with their high interest credit cards and pay just the minimum payment every month.
    The same people that are forever 3 weeks late on their rent every month. And the same people who make $80,000 but are constantly broke and in debt because they need to spend $50 every day on lottery tickets and scratch offs.

In other words, if you cannot afford to pay cash for a flagship, stick to an entry level sub $100 device and use it until it dies out on you.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by munkala; 11-05-2018 at 08:01 PM.

Feedback Score
    I bought an unlocked Moto G6 for $250 a few months ago and have been very happy with it.

Feedback Score
    iPhone refurbs are a good deal and you can even finance them through Apple.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bennor View Post
    As much as I like my G5 Plus I'd be very hesitant to buy from Moto again. This is coming from using a number of Moto phones over the years going back to the Star Tac phone. Moto has been very slow pushing out security updates and full Android OS updates. My G5 Plus while it has the August 1 security patches is still stuck on the out of the box Android 7.0.0 and it's been over a year old now. Only in the last week or two have they been pushing Oreo (not Pie) to the G5 Plus US market. Hasn't reached my phone yet.

The main problem for some with the Moto G line is one may have to make hardware trade offs with certain market models. Like no NFC and no WiFi AC on my G5 Plus. But at the time I purchased it, the phone had the best ratings for a low end mid tier phone and I knew the hardware trade offs before I purchased it. No problems popping the prepaid sim out of my old phone and dropping it into the G5 Plus, phone worked without any issues.
    Oreo has been slowly rolling out to g5 plus users. Me and a a bunch of other people just got it today, so you should check. Slow updates is almost universal with all manufactures. I was thinking that I probably wouldn't buy a another motorola phone as well due to slow software but that is the price you pay when you go for 'value'. I might just shell out money for a pixel 2 or 3 because google phones always get the latest software and is guaranteed to have 3 years worth of upgrades. But the thought of shelling out $700 for a pixel 3 or even $450 for a pixel 2 off ebay just is a major no-no.

The slow software can be solved by custom roms although custom roms can be a hassle especially when the phone you have is not popular enough to warrant people creating those roms. I always prefer official roms anyways due to possible issues with custom roms.

I just hate that pretty much every manufacturer is so slow with software updates especially the major ones. Pie is out and moto g5 plus is not getting it.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    As for prepaid users buying phones, I wait for sales before buying. I got my moto g5 plus 64gb a year ago from Bestbuy for $250. You need to be willing to shell out the price outright as others have said. The savings is in the plan and not the phone. Keep your phone for more than 2 years also brings down the total cost per month. Upgrading every year or two will make the hit of a flagship phone hurt even more. I had an original moto g that I used for three years after buying it for $100 ($33 a year) before upgrading to a moto g5.

Black friday is coming up and phones can get a decent discount. If you are wanting a phone soon, I suggest waiting until Turkey day comes around. Slick deals often has phone deals as well.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Mostly use Swappa, a little craigslist, and occasionally I'll buy new if there's a good sale

Device(s)
    Nokia TA-1045 6.1 Android One | HTC "10" (VZW)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid | Verizon PrePay
    Feedback Score

Android One options

Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    Oreo has been slowly rolling out to g5 plus users. Me and a a bunch of other people just got it today, so you should check. Slow updates is almost universal with all manufactures. I was thinking that I probably wouldn't buy a another motorola phone as well due to slow software but that is the price you pay when you go for 'value'. I might just shell out money for a pixel 2 or 3 because google phones always get the latest software and is guaranteed to have 3 years worth of upgrades. But the thought of shelling out $700 for a pixel 3 or even $450 for a pixel 2 off ebay just is a major no-no.

The slow software can be solved by custom roms although custom roms can be a hassle especially when the phone you have is not popular enough to warrant people creating those roms. I always prefer official roms anyways due to possible issues with custom roms.

I just hate that pretty much every manufacturer is so slow with software updates especially the major ones. Pie is out and moto g5 plus is not getting it.
    Just wanted to mention that the spirit of the Google Nexus program lives on with "Android One", which is intended to provide software update certainty to select devices. If the OP only needs AT&T or TMUS coverage, the Nokia 6.1 is available right now for $200 at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nokia-6...?skuId=6219312

If Verizon coverage is needed, a discounted Moto X4 is available from Google Fi (formerly Project Fi) for special offer of $249 here: https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#android-one-moto-x4

NOTE: the Google Fi offer requires paying for at least one month's service ($30 & up), but the phone itself should be unlocked out-of-the-box for use on other MVNOs.
    Glad to be off contract since 2010...

Device Reverse Chronology: Samsung G920VZKAVZW Galaxy S6 | Motorola XT1060 MOTO X DE | Samsung N920T Galaxy Note5 | Microsoft RM-1073 Lumia 640 LTE | LG E960 Nexus4 | HTC ADR6300 Incredible | Nokia Asha 303 | Palm Pixi Plus | Motorola W233 Renew | Motorola VU204 | LG VS740 Ally | Motorola V325xi | LG VX8560 Chocolate3 | Motorola V265 | LG VX5400 | Nokia 6015i | Samsung VGA1000

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileFonPhile View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the spirit of the Google Nexus program lives on with "Android One", which is intended to provide software update certainty to select devices. If the OP only needs AT&T or TMUS coverage, the Nokia 6.1 is available right now for $200 at Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nokia-6...?skuId=6219312

If Verizon coverage is needed, a discounted Moto X4 is available from Google Fi (formerly Project Fi) for special offer of $249 here: https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#android-one-moto-x4

NOTE: the Google Fi offer requires paying for at least one month's service ($30 & up), but the phone itself should be unlocked out-of-the-box for use on other MVNOs.
    I'm aware of android one but the list of phones that can be used optimally in the US is small.

Feedback Score
    If you have a phone number to port, just get in on the sprint one year free plan and use the savings to buy a nice phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Device(s)
    Moto G5 Plus, Droid Mini, LG Cosmos, Motorola Razr 3vm, Motorola V60, Motorola Startac
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless Postpaid, Boom! Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FriedRice1 View Post
    I got my moto g5 plus 64gb a year ago from Bestbuy for $250.
    Did the same. Got Best Buy to price match Amazon when Amazon dropped the price of the G5 Plus 64GB to $249 for one day (non Prime Day). Oh and Moto finally rolled out Oreo 8.1 to my G5 Plus a day or two ago. Better late then never I guess.

At the end of the day it all depends on the type of phone you need/want and how often you upgrade to a new (or used) phone. The savings one gets by using an MVNO will easily offset the price of a new/used mid tier to upper tier phone if one buys said phone ever two or three years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2