Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenghost2212 View Post
    Why don't you use MetroPCS?

Sent from my moto e5 plus on MetroPCS using Tapatalk
    Why would I use T-Mo Lite instead of "real" T-Mo if I'm already there?

As I said in an earlier post, I'm on a grandfathered T-Mo plan; 5 lines of unlimited TT&D for $120 including taxes and fees. Jumping to Metro gives me less coverage (unless things have changed, there's less roaming on Metro vs T-Mo Postpaid) for at least $20 more month than I'm paying now.

The reasons I was considering Cricket (which admittedly I didn't get to in my earlier posts) was a desire for better
    coverage (Cricket has native AT&T vs. Metro's T-Mo coverage), and Canada/Mexico roaming. (Cricket includes Canada/Mexico in their 5 lines for $125 unlimited, while Metro sells it for $5/country/line extra on top of their 5 lines for $140.)

What advantage does Metro offer to an existing T-Mo customer. (Honestly, what advantage does Metro offer *anybody*!)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Why would I use T-Mo Lite instead of "real" T-Mo if I'm already there?

As I said in an earlier post, I'm on a grandfathered T-Mo plan; 5 lines of unlimited TT&D for $120 including taxes and fees. Jumping to Metro gives me less coverage (unless things have changed, there's less roaming on Metro vs T-Mo Postpaid) for at least $20 more month than I'm paying now.

The reasons I was considering Cricket (which admittedly I didn't get to in my earlier posts) was a desire for better
    coverage (Cricket has native AT&T vs. Metro's T-Mo coverage), and Canada/Mexico roaming. (Cricket includes Canada/Mexico in their 5 lines for $125 unlimited, while Metro sells it for $5/country/line extra on top of their 5 lines for $140.)

What advantage does Metro offer to an existing T-Mo customer. (Honestly, what advantage does Metro offer *anybody*!)

Same coverage cept no data roaming.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoOnion View Post
    Same coverage cept no data roaming.
    Thanks for the info, though no data is pretty much "no coverage" in this day and age...

Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NCTed View Post
    Not sure if it matters to you, but Red Pocket at Consumer Cellular don't have Wi-Fi calling. Maybe Xfinity does? That is the killer feature that makes Cricket worth it for us. Also, we don't really notice any speed disadvantage vs. post paid, at least not yet.
    Why is wifi calling such a great feature when you have unlimited talk minutes? Just curious

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Time to move on?

Quote Originally Posted by mojevajco View Post
    Why is wifi calling such a great feature when you have unlimited talk minutes? Just curious

In places where at&t coverage is weak or non-existent, wifi calling can be useful.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mojevajco View Post

I have virtually no reception at my house. Wi-Fi calling is a critical feature for me.

Sent from my KFSUWI using HoFo mobile app
    Durham, NC

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    I'll be honest, I read the OP and first thing I thought was "huh?"
    Call forwarding works fine, GV has been my main number since before I switched to Cricket and all call forwarding options have worked exactly as they did on all other carriers I've been on.
    Also, I strictly only BYOD for my personal phone, and THEY HAVE ALL TETHERED JUST FINE. I keep scratching my head when people say no tethering on BYOD is a deal breaker, I've never had this issue. Granted, I tend to use custom roms that may have had the build.prop modified to work, but its always just worked whenever I wanted to use it (I have an entertainment system in my minivan that can stream netflix to the kids in that back, last road trip I used tethering extensively for this on my Moto G5 Plus).

Anyway, not saying there isn't a time to explore other options- I personally have been looking around because coverage around my home is bad and BYOD don't handle WiFi calling much if at all (outside of iPhones it seems at the moment). Thankfully I have Google Voice which can ring over WiFi to get around this, but it comes with its own can of worms: If I'm not home, data calls aren't handled as well as voice ones. The traffic isn't given priority and not handed off between towers very well, so the end result is more echo and dropped calls when in a moving vehicle versus WifI calling at home or even voLTE (which the network handles like a voice call). I wish there was a way to have GV only accept incoming calls on WiFi and if not on wifi, ring over regular voice. Right now I have to manually change the setting if I'm expecting a call while driving to make sure it comes in clearly, then turn data calling back on when I get home. Not the easiest setup, although it works for now. I've been considering switching to someone who either has better coverage near where I live (pretty much VZ only) or WiFi calling by the carrier (T-mo). Cricket is still the lesser of all evils every time I weigh my options, but I just found the complaints from the OP interesting as my experience and reasons are very different.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Feedback Score
    I'm the OP - I think our different perspectives come from the different phones we are using. I'm no tech newb, and I can assure you that conditional call forwarding can't be enabled in the 3 models of unlocked LG's we're using, neither in the settings (grayed out) nor with dial codes (throws an error). When we previously used Windows phones, CCF worked fine on Cricket.

The tether/hotspot issue seems to go by OS (at least on the LG's and some other brands), as has been described in detail on another thread. I could not hotspot on either of our 2 Oreo phones, but could on the one with Nougat. I recently DID switch to another AT&T MVNO, who don't restrict tethering, but had the identical problem. But the good news is I think I've found a fairly simple solution using an ADB command. I'll post it in the tether/hotspot thread when I confirm it works.

Hope you can solve your call reliability problem. Are there any decent VZW MVNO's, or will you have to pay the full fare on Verizon?

Feedback Score
    Yes its time to move on

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoOnion View Post
    Yes its time to move on
    Sayonara! Where are you headed to?

Feedback Score
    I moved from metro to cricket lol

The lack of volte and HD voice is noticable but data speeds are consistently higher and better coverage helps
    Quote Originally Posted by barotropic View Post
    Sayonara! Where are you headed to?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barotropic View Post
    I'm the OP - I think our different perspectives come from the different phones we are using. I'm no tech newb, and I can assure you that conditional call forwarding can't be enabled in the 3 models of unlocked LG's we're using, neither in the settings (grayed out) nor with dial codes (throws an error). When we previously used Windows phones, CCF worked fine on Cricket.
    Are the phones unbranded or just unlocked? I noticed my wife's unlocked LG phones (X Power and X Charge, both unlocked but originally branded to cricket) had many options inaccessible and/or greyed out in settings. Options that DO exist in other branded Cricket phones, mind you. For example, I wanted to try and hold on to a particular H+ tower in our area because we were missing calls when on LTE (long story, issue has been resolved by Cricket since then), and that entire setting screen was locked out. I've never had that on any of my phones, even other branded Cricket phones. I thought it was a Cricket software thing but maybe its an LG thing? You can definitely control CCF on other devices. Especially all the BYOD that I've ever tried (Nexus, Moto, Huawei, Nextbit, etc), no matter the OS.

The tether/hotspot issue seems to go by OS (at least on the LG's and some other brands), as has been described in detail on another thread. I could not hotspot on either of our 2 Oreo phones, but could on the one with Nougat. I recently DID switch to another AT&T MVNO, who don't restrict tethering, but had the identical problem. But the good news is I think I've found a fairly simple solution using an ADB command. I'll post it in the tether/hotspot thread when I confirm it works.
    I recall that at some point (maybe nougat?) Android implemented some sort of check if the carrier grants permission before loading the tethering function screen. I recall at one point I was able to pop out the SIM card and start the tethering app, then pop the SIM in and it would work fine since it was already loaded. A later update made this trick stop working, but in almost all cases, there's simply a line in build.prop that tells the OS to ignore this bit or not. Once it stopped working, I just had to edit that line in a text editor and the native tethering function worked fine again. These days I most use custom roms (rocking Android P on my Moto G5 Plus currently), and those have never had an issue- I'm guessing the build.prop line comes already edited to ignore it which is why I never noticed.
    Hope you can solve your call reliability problem. Are there any decent VZW MVNO's, or will you have to pay the full fare on Verizon?
    [/QUOTE]
    There are some, but they aren't as good of deal as the grandfathered 5 for $100 on Cricket. I also prefer GSM phones for flexibility. I've just been dealing with it for now and keeping an eye on current deals in case it makes sense to switch.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the detailed feedback, Dishe.

Are the phones unbranded or just unlocked?
    All 3 are unbranded, unlocked LG's, bought at retail.

Tether/Hotspot

I haven't tinkered with rooting/ROM's in several years. These are stock. But as I've posted elsewhere, I found a solution that solves the problem, at least until the next reboot. Using ADB, and issuing the command settings put global tether_dun_required 0 enables the 2 recalcitrant phones to hotspot. The original setting was 1. Is this setting related to the build.prop file? Maybe that's why a custom ROM, and some other brands of stock ROM's wouldn't have the problem. Can't imagine why LG why do this, but maybe it serves another purpose.

Device(s)
    Cricket Moto g7 supra,metro Moto g7pwr, visible g7bpwr
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,visible,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    I've used cricket for almost 4 years and it's gotten continually better thru the years. And I agree with vvirtually every positive remark on this thread. I've also been playing for lack of a better when with metro since last April,and the best thing i can say about metro is they have great phone prices but in my limited travel thus far, coverage except in metropolitan areas can be very iffy. Another surprise is that even the typically faster Metro data speeds really makes very little practical difference except one can post faster speed tests results. Metro at present couldn't be my only carrier. Now whether one uses cricket or another mvno of att or vzw, more than likely you'll have first class service. I can't say that about tm. Stay with att or vzw.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I've used cricket for almost 4 years and it's gotten continually better thru the years. And I agree with vvirtually every positive remark on this thread. I've also been playing for lack of a better when with metro since last April,and the best thing i can say about metro is they have great phone prices but in my limited travel thus far, coverage except in metropolitan areas can be very iffy. Another surprise is that even the typically faster Metro data speeds really makes very little practical difference except one can post faster speed tests results. Metro at present couldn't be my only carrier. Now whether one uses cricket or another mvno of att or vzw, more than likely you'll have first class service. I can't say that about tm. Stay with att or vzw.
    True statement I second this. Yeap stay with either Att or Verizon. Which one suits your bill and usage, reception, which one works the best for you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast