Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Time to move on?

Feedback Score

Unhappy Time to move on?

We've been on Cricket for nearly 4 years, mostly using 5 lines / $100. Overall, it has been good service, at a great price for a 5-user family with modest needs.

But as you all know, there are tradeoffs for the low price: slower LTE speeds, LTE caps, no call forwarding, no hotspot on BYOD phones, and very poor Visual Voicemail options. And recently, no option to change anything in my plan without losing the $100 deal.

The limitations are starting to chafe, and the other MVNO's are catching up in value, so I'm getting the itch to move on.

I'm really intrigued with Xfinity Mobile. Xfinity has begun allowing BYOD for recent iPhones, and announced the same for certain Androids by the end of the year. We have unlocked LG's (a G5, G6 and G7), so hopefully they'll be on the list. Very inexpensive, and using Verizon network combined with Xfinity's Wi-fi network.

Other alternatives that seem to be priced like Cricket, but without so many restrictions are Consumer Cellular and Red Pocket.

Any suggestions for me? Am I overlooking anything? I know that once we leave the $100 plan is gone forever.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked) Gold
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by barotropic View Post
    We've been on Cricket for nearly 4 years, mostly using 5 lines / $100. Overall, it has been good service, at a great price for a 5-user family with modest needs.

But as you all know, there are tradeoffs for the low price: slower LTE speeds, LTE caps, no call forwarding, no hotspot on BYOD phones, and very poor Visual Voicemail options. And recently, no option to change anything in my plan without losing the $100 deal.

The limitations are starting to chafe, and the other MVNO's are catching up in value, so I'm getting the itch to move on.

I'm really intrigued with Xfinity Mobile. Xfinity has begun allowing BYOD for recent iPhones, and announced the same for certain Androids by the end of the year. We have unlocked LG's (a G5, G6 and G7), so hopefully they'll be on the list. Very inexpensive, and using Verizon network combined with Xfinity's Wi-fi network.

Other alternatives that seem to be priced like Cricket, but without so many restrictions are Consumer Cellular and Red Pocket.

Any suggestions for me? Am I overlooking anything? I know that once we leave the $100 plan is gone forever.
    Do you want to use AT&T networks only?

Sent from my SM-G930U using HoFo mobile app
    Phones used - *Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989* *Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317* *Blu Studio 5.0 C HD* *Samsung Galaxy S5 Active SM-G870* *Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900* *Moto X Pure Edition* *Samsung Galaxy Note 4 N910C* *Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U*

Feedback Score
    In my area (Memphis), only AT&T and Verizon networks provide the coverage I need. Sprint is not an option. TMo is good in the metro area, but fades to nothing in several counties just east of us.

Our phones are good for any US GSM network, or Verizon.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Xfinity Mobile would save my family a lot as well - we have 2 unlocked recent androids and do not want to buy anything new. You say end of the year; earier I'd been told end of October or September - no longer holding my breath that our phones will ever be covered by byod..

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Xfinity = Comcast = Not even for free

IMHO

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Not sure if it matters to you, but Red Pocket at Consumer Cellular don't have Wi-Fi calling. Maybe Xfinity does? That is the killer feature that makes Cricket worth it for us. Also, we don't really notice any speed disadvantage vs. post paid, at least not yet.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I’m not trying to be argumentative, I’m genuinely curious. How would Xfinity Mobile be comparable to the Cricket 5 lines for $100? I did a quick check and they charge $12 per GB or $45 for unlimited. Did I miss some bundling deal?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7 G930U (US Unlocked) Gold
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

PureTalk USA is another AT&T network option. I had my mother with them a while back when they had a $5 senior plan. Customer service was very helpful.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    You won’t find a better deal. RP savings is for annual payments and doesn’t have mms or group texts on iPhone. Cricket speeds at 8gb is fine for most things. But good luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    I’m not trying to be argumentative, I’m genuinely curious. How would Xfinity Mobile be comparable to the Cricket 5 lines for $100? I did a quick check and they charge $12 per GB or $45 for unlimited. Did I miss some bundling deal?
    I'm not really looking absolute minimum cost, just similar costs and better features.

We don't use a huge amount of cellular data. Three (elderly) family members use essentially none. So moving them to Consumer Cellular would cost roughly $20/user/month, same as Cricket.

The other two are only moderate cell data users. Xfinity's plan charges $12/GB of shared data (no charge for unlimited talk and text), as I understand it. So if those two shared 3GB of data (more than they normally use) per month, it would cost $36 + tax and fees, per month. Again, nearly the same price as Cricket.

Just thinking aloud, and asking for ideas. The wise man would just leave it alone, but I think most of us like to tweak things to that elusive "perfection" .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    You won’t find a better deal. RP savings is for annual payments and doesn’t have mms or group texts on iPhone. Cricket speeds at 8gb is fine for most things. But good luck.
    Thanks for that info! I've been interested in Red Pocket, and wouldn't mind the annual payment. But the mms/group text issue on iPhone is really strange, and a show stopper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SMMC View Post
    PureTalk USA is another AT&T network option. I had my mother with them a while back when they had a $5 senior plan. Customer service was very helpful.

Thanks, I'll check Puretalk out, especially for the 3 elderly users.

We used them about 4 years ago. and it was a pretty clumsy system - had to frequently shift minutes around between users, and payments were awkward. CS was good (English-speaking folks in Atlanta!), but it took forever to get through to them.

But I'm sure it's all different now.

Feedback Score
    Been thinking of leaving Cricket for a long time but I keep finding phones that tether out of the box. I gotta be able to use hotspot once in a while when I'm at the cabin and I'm not about to pay Cricket an extra $10.00 to use the data I already paid for. If these phones dry up I'll slide over to At&t Prepaid.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible Mobile $25
    Feedback Score

Do what is best beneficial and practical for you in real world usage, my area all 4 carriers work mostly in town but not all at my home, especially T-Mobile and Sprint, their signals fade and cut off phone calls, data buffering unusable for real world. Only Att/Cricket and Verizon work without dropping, so I stick with Cricket and very happy with it. It’s totally reception and functionality that count for us. Good luck on your hunt.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

But as you all know, there are tradeoffs for the low price: slower LTE speeds, LTE caps, no call forwarding, no hotspot on BYOD phones, and very poor Visual Voicemail options...
    Wait, what? No Call Forwarding? I was considering a move to Cricket, and their website says they offer Call Forwarding. No Call Forwarding would be a deal breaker for me (I use Google Voice for Visual Voicemail.)

Is this true?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast