Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: good cheap smartphone for tello

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score

good cheap smartphone for tello

anyone have any recommendations for a good cheap smartphone that is unlocked or can be unlocked easy and will work on tello? I only need it for calling and nothing else so it doesn't need to be fancy... bought a e5 Play that not only was an e4 (listing mislabeled) but couldn't be unlocked since it hadn't been active on original prepaid carrier for a year or more... i'm sending it back for a refund but what should I pick up? phones on tello's site are overpriced so i'm looking to pick up something on eBay... only requirement is it it needs to be a current generation 2018 phone or last year's 2017 model to get the best possible signal quality since Sprint only gets between 2G and 3G here

Feedback Score
    Target website has the Moto E5 Play unlocked for $129.99 It's listed as universal unlocked. Not sure if thats an error. You can always return to your local Target if it's only gsm unlocked.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    That price sounds right for the unlocked version. I bought 2 Moto E5 Plus models for about the same price last year.

I'm waiting for some good deals on the Moto G6 Play. Call quality is better than the E5 Plus, so a big plus for me.

Feedback Score
    The price is correct. I'm not sure the 'Universal unlocked' part is correct. On Motorola's site, it's listed as GSM unlocked, and not universal. Perhaps there's 2 versions? Can someone please confirm.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    anyone have any recommendations for a good cheap smartphone that is unlocked or can be unlocked easy and will work on tello? I only need it for calling and nothing else so it doesn't need to be fancy... bought a e5 Play that not only was an e4 (listing mislabeled) but couldn't be unlocked since it hadn't been active on original prepaid carrier for a year or more... i'm sending it back for a refund but what should I pick up? phones on tello's site are overpriced so i'm looking to pick up something on eBay... only requirement is it it needs to be a current generation 2018 phone or last year's 2017 model to get the best possible signal quality since Sprint only gets between 2G and 3G here
    What you are running into here is Sprint's Financial E legibility Date for non-postpaid phones. Anything that is/was sold for Boost, Virgin and Sprint Prepaid is required to have 12 continuous months of paid service before it is eligible to be used on a MVNO service. Pretty much all of the inexpensive Sprint phones are in this category. There are exceptions, but too arcane to go into.

Since you say that all you want if for is voice, there is no real advantage to the most recent new models. Sprint CDMA voice has been solid on their phones going back for years.

When I was looking for phones to use on a Sprint MVNO, I looked for good used and refurbished postpaid phones. They always worked. If you consider used and refurbed phones a few years old, I would avoid any without a removable/replaceable battery.

The universal models of the Moto G 4/5/6 are probably about as good as you can get.

I have two of my old Sprint phones on Tello paygo service. Tello is good service.

Good luck

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If you want something cheap for mostly just phone calls, maybe you could find a Moto E4 XT1768, which is fully unlocked and compatible with all 4 major US mobile networks.

Feedback Score
    I use an iPhone 4s 16Gb for my Tello account. It’s just a backup for when I need a real phone line for calling.

The phone’s selling for as low as $30 BIN on eBay. Auctions can be a lot cheaper. I got mine for free several years ago. Someone gave it away because she said it doesn’t work.

You’re lucky if you work/live among people who like having the latest phones and/or are not mechanically/technically-inclined (something broke, they’d rather get a new phone than pay $100+ to get it fixed.) They change phones frequently so you get to be the recipient of cast offs. My 16Gb iPhone 4s had a barely used battery (98% health) when it was tossed my way.

Feedback Score
    I'm using an LG Volt on my Tello account and it works great...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If you want something cheap for mostly just phone calls, maybe you could find a Moto E4 XT1768, which is fully unlocked and compatible with all 4 major US mobile networks.
    Wally is clearing out the unlocked E4 right now for $64.00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Wally is clearing out the unlocked E4 right now for $64.00.
    Linky? I just tool a peek and couldn't find any Moto E4 on Walmart for that price...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    Linky? I just tool a peek and couldn't find any Moto E4 on Walmart for that price...
    Try this:
    https://brickseek.com/walmart-invent...?sku=333487562

Feedback Score
    Thanks, but results are the same as when I did a direct search:

Motorola Moto E4 16GB Unlocked Smartphone - Licorice Black
    Current Price
    $92.49 - $129.99

No worries...

Feedback Score
    LG Stylo 4 universal unlocked is now $209.99 at Best Buy. Everywhere else it's still $299.99.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I second that motion. I bought one a year or so ago and I've used it with Tello among other MVNOs. I don't use many apps but my wife uses hers for Facebook, Google Maps, Marco Polo and other things. It works fine for her.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Netgear 781s (AT&T Unite Pro), Samsung Galaxy S8, Netgear Nighthawk LTE, iPad Mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by munkala View Post
    LG Stylo 4 universal unlocked is now $209.99 at Best Buy. Everywhere else it's still $299.99.

Sent from my ASUS_X00ID using HoFo mobile app
    that's WAY too much for somthing that's just going to be used for voice calls via the cellular network

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast