Thread: Prepaid Worldwide eSIMs available for Apple phones

Device(s)
    iPhone XS 512GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score

Prepaid Worldwide eSIMs available for Apple phones

I was looking at the availability of prepaid eSIMs for iOS. Apple has a support page which shows carriers that offer eSIM service

Listed are two carriers that offer prepaid worldwide eSIM service.

I'm intrigued by this for international travel, as I'm on AT&T Prepaid which offers no services outside North America. Previously, I'd go through the hassle of ordering a prepaid international 3UK SIM from Amazon, swapping SIMs, getting it setup here, put my AT&T SIM in until I depart, and hoping I don't lose the SIM until I get to my destination.

I was with a group of coworkers who traveled international and they planned on getting SIMs at the airport in Europe. We landed at 1am, all the airport stores were closed, and I was the only one with a working phone to grab an Uber. None of us had any local currency nor speak the language.

A few years ago, I added a TMo postpaid account to get free low speed data and canceled upon return.

Gigsky
    https://www.gigsky.com

Truphone
    https://www.truphone.com/iphone-xs-dual-sim-plan/

Both services provide data only to iPhone. Truphone's eSIM FAQ says to stay tuned for voice plans and seems to be the better deal for service. Both provide instant eSIM activation and use Apple Pay. Both can be activated and used today.

eSIM looks to be exciting for the prepaid world.

Thoughts?
    Current Mobile Devices:
    Apple iPhone XS 512GB
    Apple iPhone SE 32GB
    Apple iPhone 1st Generation 8GB
    Alcatel Tetra
    ZTE Maven 3
    Amazon Fire Phone

Carriers
    AT&T Prepaid
    RedPocket (eBay)
    FreedomPop

Retired Phones:
    Apple iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, 6S, 7, X
    Sony-Ericsson: Z310a, T290a, T610
    Ericsson: T68m, T28
    Nokia: 6010, 6030
    Sony-Ericsson: K790a, K750i, Ericsson R380z
    Nokia: 5160, 3360
    Motorola: V551, V60i, V60c
    Mitsubishi: AMPS Bag Phone (1986)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but based on my understanding of how things work, I'd still rather have regular dual SIM card slots on a phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS 512GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but based on my understanding of how things work, I'd still rather have regular dual SIM card slots on a phone.
    Point being that there are now worldwide MVNOs that have eSIM support which no longer necessitates the need to obtain a conventional SIM for the new iPhones. Setting up service for eSIM is as easy as downloading the MVNO’s app and paying for service through Apple Pay or credit card. This means you can pick a carrier and get the phone activated in less than 5 minutes. No waiting, no setting APN’s, no fiddling with a paperclip and SIMs.

The new iPhones released (XS, XS Max, and XR) are the first to support eSIM. This is also the first time iPhone users have the ability to use dual carriers at once.

Apple does make dual SIM slot versions of these new phones, but are only sold in select Asian Pacific countries and not sold anywhere else. The eSIM variant is sold everywhere else including North America and Europe. As such, North American iPhones have eSIM + nanoSIM.

I currently use a AT&T Prepaid SIM and travel outside the US a few times a year, so this gives me an easy option to get prepaid worldwide service with the least amount of effort.

As eSIM proliferates and is embraced by the US MVNO carriers as it reduces cost (physical SiM, mail, etc), this reduces friction even further to change carriers. ATT, TMo, VZW have already stated their support for eSIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDuper View Post
    I was looking at the availability of prepaid eSIMs for iOS. Apple has a support page which shows carriers that offer eSIM service

Gigsky
    https://www.gigsky.com

Truphone
    https://www.truphone.com/iphone-xs-dual-sim-plan/

Thoughts?
    In addition to Truphone and GigSky, there is unofficial support for eSIM from Ubigi. They mostly market to eSIM use on capable Windows computers, but the QR code that is generated can be scanned and added to iPhone eSIM.

Both Truphone and GigSky require to you purchase a data pass/plan in order to install their profiles to the eSIM. Ubigi lets you add their eSIM profile without a purchase. It's a good way to see how adding service on eSIM works.

Also folks have been posting their codes on reddit for a free $10 credit to use with GigSky.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS 512GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    It's a good way to see how adding service on eSIM works.

Also folks have been posting their codes on reddit for a free $10 credit to use with GigSky.
    Great to hear that any provider can participate in eSIM without lockdown from Apple.

eSIM certainly looks like it will change the US and worldwide prepaid market to be even more competitive.

Thanks for the heads up. I may give it a try!

Device(s)
    iPhone XS 512GB
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the Ubigi recommendation. For free, I set it up and the XS honed in to a TMo tower on the eSIM. Even though the account is not active, I see TMo signal strength. Looking forward to using dual SIMs on my phone.

I like how I can have multiple eSIM profiles. I can select from multiple carriers on the fly. Very cool.

I walked by a ATT Corp store today, they aren’t provisioning even though they have the QR cards. I don’t have much confidence about prepaid ATT eSIM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes thanks for the Ubigi recommendation. Just like the poster above the profile added great. I can see the t-mobile signal fine. I've not activated it yet.

I'm hoping some MVNO will add eSIM soon. I use Total Wireless for voice and data. I figure it will be a long time before any true voice and data MVNO will add service this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro