Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How to get A droid updates on an AT&T branded Galaxy Note 8

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Lol. The phone just got the September security update from T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesfinley View Post
    Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the device unlock with AT&T just network unlocked the phone, making it usable on the T-Mobile network (assuming it has support for T-Mobile bands).

It does not brand unlock the phone.

Once a phone is AT&T branded, it's stuck at AT&T branded. Although, I thought that meant it always showed the AT&T logo on start up. Never known one to change it's logo on start up.
    it just unlock the phone for use on other networks besides AT&T
    unbranded phones are probably what your looking for.

Feedback Score
    Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the device unlock with AT&T just network unlocked the phone, making it usable on the T-Mobile network (assuming it has support for T-Mobile bands).

It does not brand unlock the phone.

Once a phone is AT&T branded, it's stuck at AT&T branded. Although, I thought that meant it always showed the AT&T logo on start up. Never known one to change it's logo on start up.
    Generally speaking, what you're saying is true with most network-branded phones.

However, the Samsungs (I believe starting with the S8) can actually flash different carrier firmware onto the device such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, etc. See a guide on how to do it here: https://appuals.com/carrier-switch-f...s8-snapdragon/

My theory is that an either factory unlocked or network unlocked S8 or later Samsung will flash its firmware to the correct carrier upon inserting the sim and booting the device. I believe the carrier variant is signified by the splash screen.

My S8 had the same behavior of showing a t-mobile splash screen when I network unlocked it from Cricket a few months ago. After I put the Cricket sim back into the device, its splash screen reverted to Cricket with the appropriate apps/features.

Feedback Score
    I didn't know all of that, thanks for the info.

But kind of goes back to my earlier point, the Android eco-system is just way too complicated. It really needs to be simplified from a security standpoint.

Feedback Score
    I didn't know all of that, thanks for the info.

But kind of goes back to my earlier point, the Android eco-system is just way too complicated. It really needs to be simplified from a security standpoint.
    I agree completely! Way too complicated!

If you go factory unlocked, you might be missing out on some of the carrier's features like VoLTE or Wifi Calling. But, you'll have carrier portability and [hopefully] timely updates.

If you go carrier-branded for a discounted phone or access to the extra features, you might not get timely software or security updates (or worse, be completely abandoned). Also, you might have hoops to jump through to unlock it from the original network or get software security updates should you decide to go with a new carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Lol. The phone just got the September security update from T-Mobile.
    Good to hear! The S8 and newer phones seem to allow the firmware to be reflashed to the SIM card carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by cthomp21 View Post
    Generally speaking, what you're saying is true with most network-branded phones.

However, the Samsungs (I believe starting with the S8) can actually flash different carrier firmware onto the device such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, etc. See a guide on how to do it here: https://appuals.com/carrier-switch-f...s8-snapdragon/

My theory is that an either factory unlocked or network unlocked S8 or later Samsung will flash its firmware to the correct carrier upon inserting the sim and booting the device. I believe the carrier variant is signified by the splash screen.

My S8 had the same behavior of showing a t-mobile splash screen when I network unlocked it from Cricket a few months ago. After I put the Cricket sim back into the device, its splash screen reverted to Cricket with the appropriate apps/features.
    Good to know this is true. At least Samsung is getting smarter with the firmware and updates.

AT&T is the ONLY carrier that forces you to have an active AT&T SIM to get updates. I have Sprint Samsung Note 4's, S6's, etc., that get Sprint Android updates regardless of service. Same with T-mobile as well, and I believe Verizon as well (none of my Verizon MVNO friends complain about this, and I have only iPhone with Verizon).

AT&T is positively EVIL in requiring an active AT&T SIM just to get Android security updates.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who have answered so far. The next questions are:

- The phone did not reprogram itself to Cricket when I popped that SIM in and restarted. Is there a way to force it? It seems the switch to T-Mobile happened because I had the T-Mobile SIM in the phone and AT&T had issued the unlock code.
    - is it worth it to try and get the phone to reprogram itself to Cricket? Or am I better off keeping it as T-Mobile? How good is Cricket at issuing timely updates?
    - If I keep it as T-Mobile, are there any drawbacks? I assume that the phone has access to all the bands and it is not limited by the firmware installed? I won’t have connectivity issues because it’s not using the AT&T bands?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Try downloading the firmware from Samsung's website as an alternative: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Thanks to all who have answered so far. The next questions are:

- The phone did not reprogram itself to Cricket when I popped that SIM in and restarted. Is there a way to force it? It seems the switch to T-Mobile happened because I had the T-Mobile SIM in the phone and AT&T had issued the unlock code.
    - is it worth it to try and get the phone to reprogram itself to Cricket? Or am I better off keeping it as T-Mobile? How good is Cricket at issuing timely updates?
    - If I keep it as T-Mobile, are there any drawbacks? I assume that the phone has access to all the bands and it is not limited by the firmware installed? I won’t have connectivity issues because it’s not using the AT&T bands?
    Interesting. It seems my theory regarding auto-update to the appropriate carrier firmware is debunked.

I'd try to get it on the Cricket firmware if you're able. I've got an S8, and the HD Voice and Wifi Calling are pretty helpful features for me personally. I don't know if you'll get them running T-Mobile firmware, or if they matter to you at all. Unfortunately, the Cricket S8 isn't eligible for the $10 hotspot add-on option.

My S8 is running 8.0 Oreo and is on the October 2018 security patch. It seems to get regular updates.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    HD Voice and WiFi Calling are not important to me. I am able to run Hotspot straight from the phone. And I was able to do so before I unlocked it from AT&T and reflashed it to T-Mobile. I’m pretty surprised at that.

Feedback Score
    Flash to XAA it'll stay unbranded and get regular updates.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Flash to XAA it'll stay unbranded and get regular updates.
    Can you provide some links to what you mean?

Feedback Score
    XAA = Unlocked US on the aforementioned link.

Feedback Score
    Can you provide some links to what you mean?
    No. Xda and research. You'll need a decent understanding to do it anyway.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    No. Xda and research. You'll need a decent understanding to do it anyway.

Thanks for the clarification.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast