Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: How to get Android updates on an AT&T branded Galaxy Note 8

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I haven’t done anything yet, so the phone is still on T-Mobile version and I just got the Nov. 1 Security Update. I think I’m going to leave it like this. I don’t use WiFi calling, VOLTE or any other Cricket specific features. I can make/receive phone calls and SMS/MMS messages and use the data, so I think I’m going to leave it like this unless someone can tell me a compelling reason why it’s not a good idea. And I don’t want to risk screwing up the phone flashing it to a different version. Maybe in a few months when the “newness” wears off.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Despite the "T-Mobile splash screen", can you make and rcv calls when you put the Cricket SIM back in the phone ??
    Last edited by Serial Port; 11-17-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: OP answered my question already, post withdrawn
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Pixel 6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Despite the "T-Mobile splash screen", can you make and rcv calls when you put the Cricket SIM back in the phone ??
    Yes. With the Cricket SIM, I’m able to make calls, SMS/MMS and use data. Hotspot even works.

Just to recap for any newcomers...I bought a used AT&T branded phone to use on Cricket. Out of the box, it worked fine with the Cricket SIM but I wasn’t sure I’d get any OS or security updates since I wasn’t on the AT&T mothership Network. I requested an unlock from AT&T and the instructions said to insert a non-AT&T SIM to complete the unlock process. Since Cricket is related to AT&T, I didn’t think that would work, so I put in an non-working T-Mobile SIM and the unlock went through but flashed to phone to T-Mobile so now the T-Mobile start up process shows up on a reboot of the phone and all the AT&T bloatware is gone but it was replaced by T-Mobile ones.

The upside is I’ve received the latest Android security updates. I’m assuming I’ll get the T-Mobile Android 9.0 Pie upgrade whenever it is released. Just for the frequent updates, I’m going to keep the phone on this T-Mobile flash. I don’t see any drawbacks other than missing Cricket features I don’t use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    My unlocked AT&T Note 4 and LG G4 both needed to have an active SIM that uses AT&T's primary mobile network code of 410 installed to get OTA updates. An active TracFone AT&T and an active AT&T Prepaid SIM both worked. A activated FreedomPop AT&T SIM and an inactive AT&T SIM did not.

The AT&T SIM that worked was a preactivated one that I ordered for 99˘ from the AT&T Prepaid site. I never added any money to the SIM so it was not usable but it had a phone number and was ready to add money to and use. When you buy a SIM online from AT&T it comes preactivated and you have 20 days to add money to it before it is permanently deactivated.
    Would tou mind elaborate in more details how to order the sim. At this point this is the only option for me but i went on the webside amd didn't see $0.99 card option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, iPhone SE, OnePlus Nord N200
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Currently prepaid SIMs are free at att.com. Start at https://www.att.com/prepaid/index.html and click the "bring your own phone link".
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Feedback Score
    This discussion wouldn't be needed if this were iPhone, but anyway.. Had an at&t branded s4 on straight talk years ago that was able to get a major system update on straight talk.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Hi there, I am a newbie here, by reading many posts, I learned that everyone has a full bag of knowledge, and I am here to gain knowledge from you guys, Thank you.

Feedback Score
    actually, I can't able to judge.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Welcome to Howard Forums (HOFO). If you need advice or want to ask questions, please start a new thread in the applicable section if it is unrelated to the current thread.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro, Google Pixel 4a 5G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, US Mobile(Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    To update this as it might have been answered already:

AT&T did a OTA server update which made it so that it now requires the phone to be on the home "310-410" network to receive software updates. Cricket is 310-170 so AT&T branded phones on Cricket are now blocked from receiving OTA Updates.

If you really want to have OTA updates on AT&T Branded phones you must switch to the following tested and confirmed carriers: Boost(AT&T), Straight Talk(AT&T), Red Pocket(GSMA), Circledin(Join someones AT&T postpaid family plan), All carrier's listed are 310-410.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity 400 Meg per second Internet plan, Roku Ultra for Streaming.

Landline: N/A

Mobile Entertainment: AT&T Unlimited Premium as Primary,

Want to save money and join a Postpaid family plan? Try Circledin where you can get Post Paid service on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon but for family plan pricing vs. full price. You get savings, carriers get Postpaid adds and everyone wins.

Device(s)
    S22+/A51/A71 5G, Pixel 6a/4a5G, Moto G7 Power/Z3 Play/One 5G Ace
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, TMO, Xfinity, Fi, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Also, H2O Wireless (even $10/90-day plan).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3