Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kickstart round 3

Feedback Score
    The way I see it is that it's unlimited. I don't use a ton, but I like not having to worry about it.

Coverage is a factor. Yes, you can roam, but data isn't always great. There is far more consistency with Verizon, in more places. Even on prepaid.

Personally, I liked boom. It was fine. They're a smaller outfit, but they managed to work well. If that's a factor, it's worth something.

Nobody knows what'll happen with merger. They could leave it alone, they could force first gen Kickstart to second gen prices, or more, with or without other limits. They can do whatever they want. Maybe it lasts a year. Maybe it lasts 10. Maybe not. I'd go for leaving the free year in place with that much time left on it, unless you planned on staying for at least the next year to recoup what would've been "free." In longer term, it might work in your favor, but it's anybody's guess.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kansanian View Post
    Nobody knows what'll happen with merger. They could leave it alone, they could force first gen Kickstart to second gen prices, or more, with or without other limits. They can do whatever they want.
    They’ve been pretty open in saying that it will be handled just like the MetroPCS. They won’t be keeping Sprint plans or pricing... they will migrate everyone over to T-Mo platform as quickly as possible, shut down the Sprint network, then refarm the spectrum.

Feedback Score
    TMobile has already undertaken in Congressional testimony to maintain all Sprint plans. This is a likely FCC or FTC merger approval condition as well.

However another year of Free versus paying $25 a month is a tough call. If they extend the free plan offer another three months in January, let's say to April 2021, I plan tentatively on re-uping to that via port-out port-in. However I may still go for $30 SWAC. That will be a very tough call also. (SWAC is far better still than $25 kickstart but requires an employee referral that many are having trouble finding).
    Last edited by comintel; 12-30-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Feedback Score
    ^ I'm thinking about that $50 swac, but wasn't sure if tmobile would honor all those swac perks after merger b/c they don't (currently) offer some of those perks at tmobile. I think tmobile offers free netflix, but not tidal, and hulu etc. So I wasn't sure if they could even be capable of continuing to allow those sprint perks, although I'm not sure how that would work once tmobile took over (maybe it is just in the form of a bill credit?)
    one thing i dislike about all these swac perks are... (I've read) you can't take the swac base plan of say hulu, and then upgrade no commercial plan for just $x more. you're stuck on the base plan. https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm..._about_addons/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    ^ I'm thinking about that $50 swac, but wasn't sure if tmobile would honor all those swac perks after merger b/c they don't (currently) offer some of those perks at tmobile. I think tmobile offers free netflix, but not tidal, and hulu etc. So I wasn't sure if they could even be capable of continuing to allow those sprint perks, although I'm not sure how that would work once tmobile took over (maybe it is just in the form of a bill credit?)
    one thing i dislike about all these swac perks are... (I've read) you can't take the swac base plan of say hulu, and then upgrade no commercial plan for just $x more. you're stuck on the base plan. https://www.reddit.com/r/Sprint/comm..._about_addons/
    I agree with you that the tiers are too rigid.

As to continuing the benefits, it's always possible that some of the perqs might have to change if Sprint's deal with the third-party provider had to change.

SWAC has two current levels now, $30 and $50. You can move up and down among current levels. I believe that people on earlier levels have been allowed to stay on prior levels if they wished.

As to whether Tmobile will have access to Sprint contracts with third parties, I do not think that will necessarily be a problem because the new company will legally be a completely new successor company to both TMobile and Sprint. It will inherit all TMobile's and Sprint's contracts, Sprint's just as much as TMobile's. Well, many may require re-negotiation, I am sure, but everything will get bundled into one new negotiated contract that will cover all issues. I imagine contracting parties will be willing to grandfather existing terms for prior retail customers.

As to paying for just the benefits you want, there may be another option, which is to negotiate a custom deal with Retentions. I may give it a try. It is probably something of a long shot. But if you price your offer right, it might be possible. However SWAC may be preferable because you can move up and down levels later. With a custom retention offer, it is once and for all until you get off it completely.
    Last edited by comintel; 12-31-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    http://sprint.com/en/shop/plans/unli...kickstart.html

I agree with p6 bud, that the "After 1/31/2020 pay $60/mo..." clause refers to the Kickstart plan and not the Unlim Basic plan, for the simple reason that the latter is already $60/mo.

Additionally, note that the 1/31/20 date will also change pricing on the Unlim Basic plan for multiple accounts.

IMO the small print takes precedence over anything said verbally by Sprint execs, most of whom won't be around by then anyway.

In either case, it's irrelevant for me & mine, as we'll still be on the freebie by then. But given the above info, 1/31/20 apparently will be drop-dead date for freebies/cheap promos. This suggests that there'll be no more freebie after this latest extension.
    The language "After 1/31/2020 pay $60/mo for line 1, $40/mo for line 2 and $20/mo/line for lines 3-5. with AutoPay."
    refers to the Unlimited Basic Plan, as can be readily confirmed from the fact that it can be found verbatim in the page for the Unlimited Basic Plan at https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/plans...hone-plan.html

Feedback Score
    >as can be readily confirmed from the fact it can be found verbatim in the page for the Basic Unlimited Plan

They're different. The small print in the Unlim Basic plan page also refers to Hulu, which is not in that for the Kickstart plan, which says that they're referring to different plans.

Second, the Unlim Basic plan in from your above link is a different promo, whereas the one being compared to the Kickstart is already at $60/mo. The KS page's "$60/mo by 1/31/20" clause could only be referring to the KS plan.

There is only one Unlimited Basic Plan.

What you are looking at is a footnote to a comparison chart. Sprint does not put plan provisions in footnotes to comparison charts with other plans. Comparison charts are marketing materials, not part of plan descriptions.

The footnote that has the plan provisions for Kickstart says only: "Video streams up to 480p, music up to 500 Kbps, gaming up to 2 Mbps. Data deprioritization during congestion. With Autopay. Reqs new line, port and BYOD or Full SRP phones. Other mo. changes apply**"

It has been confirmed by Sprint as well. See for example the reddit threads, and the Sprint posters there sell this plan as it is available though dealers, so they have access to guidance.

If it were a plan provision of the Kickstart plan, it would be in the plan provisions given to subscribers, and nobody has reported that it is.

Feedback Score

You're avoiding my point, which is that the "After 1/31/2020 pay $60/mo" can only refer to the KS plan, and not the Unlim Basic plan......
    Before 1/31/2020 Pay 60,40,0,0,0
    After 1/31/2020 Pay 60,40,20,20,20

That is a major change in the Unlimited Basic Plan pricing (a big cost increase for those with 5 lines) that takes effect on that date, as confirmed on the other page, and logically would have to be noted whenever pricing of the Unlimited Basic Plan is quoted.

Feedback Score
    >Before 1/31/2020 Pay 60,40,0,0,0
    >After 1/31/2020 Pay 60,40,20,20,20

I'll backtrack. You're likely right. It's weird, but I just now see the "Sprint Unlimited Basic: " phrase in the footnote, and I didn't see it before. Excuse the gaff.

That said, regardless of whatever Sprint said, there is no guarantee once the merger takes place. TMO may or may not honor the KS rate. Given the uncertainty, the freebie is still the better deal by far, which is where I'm at.

I'm more concerned whether the freebie will continue into 2019. The safe money says no, which is why I jumped on this latest extension. But of course the hope is that it will.

Feedback Score
    >Before 1/31/2020 Pay 60,40,0,0,0
    >After 1/31/2020 Pay 60,40,20,20,20

I'll backtrack. You're likely right. It's weird, but I just now see the "Sprint Unlimited Basic: " phrase in the footnote, and I didn't see it before. Excuse the gaff.

That said, regardless of whatever Sprint said, there is no guarantee once the merger takes place. TMO may or may not honor the KS rate. Given the uncertainty, the freebie is still the better deal by far, which is where I'm at.

I'm more concerned whether the freebie will continue. The safe money says no, which is why I jumped on this latest extension. But of course the hope is that it will.
    TMobile has promised Congress it will honor Sprint's low-cost plans:

"Legere also vowed that the new T-Mobile will honor the bargain prices that Sprint currently charges to its customers"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.9252f405353b

I expect that that will also be a condition of approval of the merger.

However I actually agree that I would not go for $25 Kickstart.

Later in January, Sprint will have to either extend the free offer again or kill it. (The current end of savings date for new subscribers is Jan 31 2020).

Usually, they extend it 2 or 3 months at a time. If they extend it to April 30 again this year, (which is my current end of savings date), I will probably port out and in again to get a new expiry date of April 30, 2020.

I also might go for SWAC for $30, which I would go for rather than kickstart.

However I will wait to see how close the merger looks at that time. If it falters, I could see them continuing to extend the offer.

I will also try to negotiate a $15-$20 rate with Retentions that includes hotspot and HD video (probably a long shot).

Feedback Score
    >"Legere also vowed that the new T-Mobile will honor the bargain prices that Sprint currently charges to its customers"

Let me be the cynic and say that execs' claims to get a merger approved aren't carved in stone. Promises have been broken before. That, and TMO can always place restrictions on the accts, like lower prioritization, or stipulation that any change to a grandfathered acct will negate it. Again, it's been done before with other carriers' grandfathered UDPs.

Even if there no merger, there is no guarantee that the KS rate will continue in perpetuity. As mentioned, aside from the one exec's comment, there is nothing that states the promo rate will last forever.

>If they extend it to April 30 again this year, (which is my current end of savings date), I will probably port out and in again to get a new expiry date of April 30, 2020.

I have the luxury of two SSN's to hopscotch with, but even if I have only one, I'd be more conservative and cancel early to resub for this latest. That would still give you a 7-month extend. IMO your timeline is high risk, because an expire of 4/30/20 does not necessarily mean the promo will go until 4/30/19.

Still, it's a good sign that we're now officially into 2019, and the Sprint 1-year-free page isn't dead yet.

>I will also try to negotiate a $15-$20 rate with Retentions that includes hotspot and HD video (probably a long shot).

Aren't you using PDANet+? Is it that much of a hassle that you'd want an "official" hotspot?

BTW, what's the word on when the $60 rate kicks in? If my billing cycle is on the 28th, do I get an extra month if I cancel it on the 29th (ie before the 31st deadline)?

Feedback Score
    >
    Let me be the cynic and say that execs' claims to get a merger approved aren't carved in stone. Promises have been broken before. That, and TMO can always place restrictions on the accts, like lower prioritization, or stipulation that any change to a grandfathered acct will negate it. Again, it's been done before with other carriers' grandfathered UDPs.
    It's possible but if it did happen it might be a year or two further down the road. There would be no need to do it immediately. But I agree the plan will obsolete itself anyway one way or another in time, so I doubt its value proposition, at least at $25, compared to the free plan for possibly another whole year.

They may play games like add new technology as options that are free on their newest plans but not available or extra cost on grandfathered plans.
    I have the luxury of two SSN's to hopscotch with, but even if I have only one, I'd be more conservative and cancel early to resub for this latest. That would still give you a 7-month extend. IMO your timeline is high risk, because an expire of 4/30/20 does not necessarily mean the promo will go until 4/30/19.
    I do not need it to go that long though. Let's say they extend 3 months on 1/15. I will port out same day 1/15 (you do not gain anything by waiting after they extend) and port back in 45 days later on or around Feb 28, which should be safe. Even porting back on March 15 should be safe.
    Aren't you using PDANet+? Is it that much of a hassle that you'd want an "official" hotspot?
    Yes I use both. For me, you're right, there is little difference. But it is a slight advantage to have the official hotspot in case I want others to connect etc. Also maybe use VPN which may be lumped with hotspot.

BTW, what's the word on when the $60 rate kicks in? If my billing cycle is on the 28th, do I get an extra month if I cancel it on the 29th (ie before the 31st deadline)?
    Yes you do. Actually you can even just port out late in the following month. But I would talk to Retentions to confirm all of this (which sort of amounts to doing it on the schedule you mention because they will note the account) just because I do not want to be responsible.
    Last edited by comintel; 01-01-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Feedback Score
    >I do not need it to go that long though. Let's say they extend 3 months on 1/15...

Your timeline indicates you'll be jumping on the 3rd extend, ie at ~9-mo interval. Given increasing likelihoood of promo ending, IMO it's safer to jump at every 2nd extend. Granted, for single SSN you have the 45-day "dead time" per jump, so you want to delay as long as possible.

Your gamble will probably work out. Before today, I had it at 50/50 that freebie dies for 2019. Now that we're in 2019, the odds are favorable for an extend.

Latest scuttlebutt pegs Q2 or possibly Q1 for merger close, so I'm hoping for another extend in April (to June or July). My SWAG sez 30-40% chance.

Are you still using Magic Box? I'm glad mine didn't work out. It'd be one more headache with all this "jumping."

>Yes you do. Actually you can even just port out late in the following month.

Thanks for the info. I'll double-check.

Feedback Score
    Yes the Free offer could be extended at least twice more depending on unknown strategic thinking inside highest levels of Sprint and merger progress.

I do have Magic Box again and will have to give it up again next port out / port in cycle. It is a hassle doing that, but tolerable. Plus it will give me an excuse to ask for the Gen. 3 Magic Box.
    Last edited by comintel; 01-02-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post

"BTW, what's the word on when the $60 rate kicks in? If my billing cycle is on the 28th, do I get an extra month if I cancel it on the 29th (ie before the 31st deadline)?"

Yes you do. Actually you can even just port out late in the following month. But I would talk to Retentions to confirm all of this (which sort of amounts to doing it on the schedule you mention because they will note the account) just because I do not want to be responsible.
    I want to withdraw what I said here (which was about the Free plan, not about KickStart) because I am seeing conflicting information now. So I would suggest people just contact Retentions for the exact rules about exactly when the free period ends for them on the Free plan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast