Thread: Phone strictly for use as bluetooth music player (for elderly parent)

Feedback Score

Phone strictly for use as bluetooth music player (for elderly parent)

Hi. My dad (who is 92 and very easily overwhelmed by technology) has just discovered bluetooth speakers. My sis was here last weekend and played "Perfect" on her Sansa clip mp3 player (she and I both use these players - they are very handy for workouts and running - no phone to keep up with), through her new portable Bose speaker, and it blew him away. He is very hard of hearing (has hearing aids) so the fact that this speaker was loud and clear, he just loved it. He expressed that he would really enjoy being able to listen to music via such devices, outside, or in the garage, wherever.

My sister is thinking how easy it would be to just fill up a player with some music for him, and get him a speaker, and off he goes. But I know that he would never be able to figure out how to use the player - it IS tiny, and you have to press tiny buttons in a certain order to get to what you want. It's a great device for me, but no, not going to work for him. However, I think a smartphone would probably be a good option. Don't even need a plan for it, I just want to use it as a music player. So bluetooth would be a requirement, at least 16gb memory and a good easy-to-see display as well. And then...maybe....if he gets comfortable enough with it, I might even put it on a plan, just to see if he can handle a smartphone. (Which would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath on that one LOL).

Anyway, any suggestions for an inexpensive older smartphone that meets the above requirements? I was trying to keep it less than $100.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie* View Post
    Hi. My dad (who is 92 and very easily overwhelmed by technology) has just discovered bluetooth speakers. My sis was here last weekend and played "Perfect" on her Sansa clip mp3 player (she and I both use these players - they are very handy for workouts and running - no phone to keep up with), through her new portable Bose speaker, and it blew him away. He is very hard of hearing (has hearing aids) so the fact that this speaker was loud and clear, he just loved it. He expressed that he would really enjoy being able to listen to music via such devices, outside, or in the garage, wherever.

My sister is thinking how easy it would be to just fill up a player with some music for him, and get him a speaker, and off he goes. But I know that he would never be able to figure out how to use the player - it IS tiny, and you have to press tiny buttons in a certain order to get to what you want. It's a great device for me, but no, not going to work for him. However, I think a smartphone would probably be a good option. Don't even need a plan for it, I just want to use it as a music player. So bluetooth would be a requirement, at least 16gb memory and a good easy-to-see display as well. And then...maybe....if he gets comfortable enough with it, I might even put it on a plan, just to see if he can handle a smartphone. (Which would be cool, but I'm not holding my breath on that one LOL).

Anyway, any suggestions for an inexpensive older smartphone that meets the above requirements? I was trying to keep it less than $100.
    You should check out the phones that are coming up for Black Friday.
    Best Buy and Target and Walmart will be offering some phones that would be good for this purpose.
    You don't have to activate them as a phone and you can use them as a Bluetooth music player.
    Or a WiFi toy.

You don't have to fight the crowds. You can order them from the store website.

Best Buy will have a few that might meet your needs.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Device(s)
    Moto G6, Nokia 6.1
    Carrier(s)
    T- Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I just private messaged you, check you message

Feedback Score
    Best Buy has the LG Phoenix 3 for $25 for Black Friday. It's a nice phone for the price. It doesn't take much of a phone to play Bluetooth. You can buy a micro SD to store the music on. They are what? $10 for 32 GB?

I'm about to buy a Bluetooth receiver for my receiver-amp so I can send music to it from a phone and not have to fiddle with changing CDs. 100 Watts per channel beats the pants off a wimpy 2 Watt Bluetooth speaker.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Best Buy has the LG Phoenix 3 for $25 for Black Friday. It's a nice phone for the price. It doesn't take much of a phone to play Bluetooth. You can buy a micro SD to store the music on. They are what? $10 for 32 GB?

I'm about to buy a Bluetooth receiver for my receiver-amp so I can send music to it from a phone and not have to fiddle with changing CDs. 100 Watts per channel beats the pants off a wimpy 2 Watt Bluetooth speaker.
    MicroSD cards will be on Black Friday sale at Best Buy 32GB for $8.99 and 64GB for $11.99.

Definitely on my list of stuff at Best Buy.

Sent from my Luscious LG Fiesta 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Yes, but my dad cannot carry that receiver outside with him. That is the appeal of this particular speaker.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessie* View Post
    Yes, but my dad cannot carry that receiver outside with him. That is the appeal of this particular speaker.
    Good point. The boy has a BT speaker thingie. It sounds pretty good for what it is.