Thread: Boost phone unlocked automatically after 1 year?

Feedback Score

Boost phone unlocked automatically after 1 year?

Someone on a youtube video said that boost unlocks your phone automatically after 1 year of continuous service.

I have had my phone over a year of continuous service.

Is there a way to tell if my boost LG Tribute HD phone is unlocked?

It still is on service if that makes any difference.

Feedback Score
    Try an AT&T or T - mobile sim in the phone. If it still not working, you may have to call boost Mobile and have them
    Unlock the phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Try an AT&T or T - mobile sim in the phone. If it still not working, you may have to call boost Mobile and have them
    Unlock the phone.
    Thanks that sounds like a good idea but I don't have any other SIM.

Does anyone know if there is there a way to tell just by looking at the phone settings or using a website to check the IMEI to tell if it is unlocked. I don't know much about unlocked phones so don't know if that is possible.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Usually a sim from another company is the best way to tell. Sometimes you can go to a Metro or Cricket store and see if they have a sim they can put in to make sure it is unlocked. As far as I can remember, you would have to call Boost to request that it be unlocked, so you may want to call customer care and make sure that it really is unlocked, or see what you need to do to unlock it.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    If you have a friend that uses anything other than Sprint service, you can try putting their sim in your phone and seeing what happens also.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Usually a sim from another company is the best way to tell. Sometimes you can go to a Metro or Cricket store and see if they have a sim they can put in to make sure it is unlocked. As far as I can remember, you would have to call Boost to request that it be unlocked, so you may want to call customer care and make sure that it really is unlocked, or see what you need to do to unlock it.
    I just remembered I have a dumb phone on t-mobile that has a SIM card but not sure if it is the correct type of SIM card because the phone has no data and this is a GSM phone so I don't think the LG tribute HD which I think is CDMA only would work on it.

So I think I need a CDMA SIM from another carrier to test it.

Also there are different sizes of SIM cards so I assume I need to use the same size. I think there are at least 3 sizes.

I was hoping there was a way to tell just by looking at the settings but I guess I should call boost mobile.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    You just need a sim that is the same size as the one in your phone. If you put it in and are asked for a code, it is still locked. Since you're supposed to give your permission in some way for your carrier to unlock your phone, my guess is that it is still locked and you'll have to request for it to be unlocked. Don't be shocked if you are asked why you want it unlocked since most people do this before switching to another company. Sometimes if you get the right person, you get someone who will try to get you in a different phone that is locked to start you over again on the time to wait until you're phone is unlocked for free. Of course, you can pay for the unlock code online and do it yourself whenever you want to.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10, iPhone XS MAX
    Carrier(s)
    Programmer
    Feedback Score
    The easiest way is to try a SIM from another carrier. If the phone is asking for Network unlock code - then you can contact the boost support or use an 3rd party service. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No automatic unlocks. You must demand it. Boost generally won't unlock any phone besides an Iphone. I had to send a certified letter.

Feedback Score
    Phone unlocking is such a pain that I refuse to ever buy another locked phone with the intent of using it on another carrier later. Just make sure the service you sign up for is what you want to stick with for a while or just get a factory unlocked phone.