Thread: How could a a Moto G5 Plus be deemed "GSM only"

Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score

How could a a Moto G5 Plus be deemed "GSM only"

Hi all,
    Bought a Moto G5 plus Prime Edition from Amazon last year. Used H2O wireless ( AT&T MVNO ) then switched to Tello ( Sprint MVNO ). No problems since the G5 Plus is factory unlocked and works out of the box on any of Verizon/ATT/TMob/Sprint.

A few days ago, the screen starts malfunctioning and won't register touches in certain areas. Motorola Support sends me a replacement phone, same exact model as my old one.

But, when I tried to register the replacement phone with Tello (by checking IMEI), they tell me that it is "GSM only" and won't let it connect to their CDMA network ????

Would anyone know why this is even possible ? Especially given that Motorola says right in their published specs that the G5 Plus works on any network and that my original phone worked fine on both GSM and CDMA carriers.

Thanks !

Feedback Score
    They sent you a locked one???
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19