Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Relying on prepaid for work?

Feedback Score

Relying on prepaid for work?

Just wondering what people's thoughts are, my current job relies on me having Google maps and obviously data, as I'm all over I'd say 60 mile radius, but mainly city, I'd say 75% City and $25 rural. If my phone or service were to go down I'd be greatly affected, I drive a company owned vehicle ( a courier type van). Right now I'm on net10 at&t and haven't had any problems , though I'm surprised at how many areas still don't have LTE, just hspa. I wish I hadn't had tossed my stand alone tomtom gps thinking smartphones truly replaced them. Am I being paranoid?!

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    For business you should have multiple solutions & never depend on one alone.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 03.13.19

Feedback Score
    This works really good offline.

HERE WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....maps&hl=en_US

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Also, google maps allows you to download map data. It expires, but you could redo it at home periodically. Not only save data while on the go, but it will limit required downloading while on the road, which should help when in H areas.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post

BINGO!! Here Maps works fantastic once you download the maps you need. Stand alone GPS units are also super cheap on ebay and sometimes tough to even give away so ya might wanna grab another one as backup. I depend on my phone for work and have been with MVNOs for about 8 years. Pageplus, Cricket and will soon be on Red Pocket. I also carry Paygo lines with H2o and Tello.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have one of these

https://www.buydig.com/shop/product....u=grdrives61rb

For $120, it's practically a steal. Nice big 7" display. Current garmin software with lifetime map updates (4x/yr). You can design custom routes on the pc in basecamp or tripplanner then upload to the gps.

No interference if/when you get a call while on the road.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Just wondering what people's thoughts are, my current job relies on me having Google maps and obviously data, as I'm all over I'd say 60 mile radius, but mainly city, I'd say 75% City and $25 rural. If my phone or service were to go down I'd be greatly affected, I drive a company owned vehicle ( a courier type van). Right now I'm on net10 at&t and haven't had any problems , though I'm surprised at how many areas still don't have LTE, just hspa. I wish I hadn't had tossed my stand alone tomtom gps thinking smartphones truly replaced them. Am I being paranoid?!
    As long as the smartphone you're using has a reliable GPS function, it CAN replace a stand-alone GPS device. Just set Google Maps to download maps for offline use and set to keep your selected map area updated whenever the phone has a WIFI connection, and you will never need data while traveling, except to get traffic updates.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Is there somewhere to download map updates for older TomToms , Garmins etc ?
    Also on older ones the batteries may be bad and will not hold a charge or even let it run on USB
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If the device has a sd slot, you should be able to place a map on that.

Can't help with you with the tomtom units, but which specific garmin devices are in question?

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Relying on prepaid for work?

I have both prepaid and postpaid lines. There doesn’t seem to be any reliability difference unless relying on roaming. I would have to drive pretty far from home for that to be an issue. There is some US cellular territory about 100 miles away which would be the closest opportunity to roam with T-mobile and Verizon. Would need to get off the main highways also.

As others have said, there are GPS solutions that don’t require data.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post

YMMV. I find that Here Maps does not pick good routes in rural areas and you can't make it calculate a better route by entering some preferred waypoints. I don't know how well it works in urban areas. I have never tried that.

That said, I do use it for speed alerts. GMaps does not have that. I drive through a lot of "Barney Fife" areas. I don't need to get busted for driving through some one-horse area where the speed limit is down to 25 or such.

GMaps does seem to work well without data with downloaded areas. You can definitely download an area with a 60 mile radius. Mine is something like a 300x300 mile rectangle. You have to update them every thirty days to keep them active.

If I were driving for a living, I would use a dedicated GPS. My Magellan has lifetime maps and speed alerts. I don't bother with it any more for my more casual use. Leaving it unattended and visible in the car is just an invitation for some punk-thug to bust a window to steal it. I don't car much about losing the $100 Magellan. The busted windows is a whole different story.

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I have been using an app called co-pilot that has offline maps. For $9.99, I have been able to load it on multiple phones. Overall it's reliable.

Feedback Score

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Use CoPilot or OSMAND for offline maps, but you don't get routing based on traffic, or all the features of Waze.

I really like my iPad Pro with Verizon data for maps, it's large, but I put in tablet holders in my vehicles. It's like having a Tesla display! But I get unlimited data from "work."
    “It's best not to argue with people who are determined to lose. Once you've told them about a superior alternative, your responsibility is fulfilled and you can allow them to lose in peace.” Mark Crispin, inventor of the iMAP e-mail protocol.

Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    We used Here We Go extensively on a three week, 3000km trip around northern Italy, and are using it now in LA. It will get you there, but sometimes takes you down back streets and suggests you make impossible turns. It does give you street names and seems more intuitive than Google maps, though we haven't used GM as much. One thing about Here that I don't like is its search capability, which seems lacking, or maybe I don't know how to use it. I usually see where I want to go, drop a pin, and tell it to take me there.

Feedback Score
    Am I being paranoid?!
    Have you had outages? I've used Tracfone for work for almost eleven years now, I think. As long as your MVNO uses regular towers like any other phone, it's no different.

I do take advantage of Google Maps downloads. Sometimes I use HERE, sometimes I use Maps.Me, both of which have offline maps - but I've never actually had to switch to these.

Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government

Fascism is here
    Random politics for a cellular forum, but aren't these two statements contradictory?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast