Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    Yes, any text ( or phone call) sent or received counts against your 1000 limit.
    Thanks! Yeah, now that I tried it that is the case.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this come up yet on here, but since it is a "real" cellular number, will SMS short codes work on FreeUp free plan? For example, special offers where you qualify for a discount or free item by texting "DEAL" to 12345. Since I have always had prepaid since text was a common thing, this feature has never been available to me with any of my plans. Even if there is no charge involved (I think they called it "premium SMS with no cost"), it was never allowed with prepaid. Something about there being no way to bill for the money charged by some unscrupulous services, so they blocked the capability altogether.

Anybody know what happens in this situation?

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this come up yet on here, but since it is a "real" cellular number, will SMS short codes work on FreeUp free plan? For example, special offers where you qualify for a discount or free item by texting "DEAL" to 12345. Since I have always had prepaid since text was a common thing, this feature has never been available to me with any of my plans. Even if there is no charge involved (I think they called it "premium SMS with no cost"), it was never allowed with prepaid. Something about there being no way to bill for the money charged by some unscrupulous services, so they blocked the capability altogether.

Anybody know what happens in this situation?
    It works fine. I just tested it with "Deal" to 727272 which is Redbox, and I got the normal return response prompting me to sign up for their text club to get a free DVD.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So, the sim is now $10 + $5 shipping - $10 promo = $5. It was $2 shipping only right?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does anyone know, from actually trying it, if the FreeUp sim will work on a gsm 2g flip phone? I know they say it must be at least 3g, and it fails the compat. check, but I tried to check a 3g smartphone which uses a FP sim just fine, and the website said it was not compatible. So I have heard there are many false positives and false negatives on their compatibility page. I have recently tried a Lyca (tmobile) sim in the flip phone and it still works, but some areas get no signal.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    AT&T (which Freeup uses) has already discontinued 2G. I thought 3G was still active though. As far as T-Mobile goes their 2G is supposed to work through 12/31/20. However I have found that you can’t place a new T-Mobile sim in a 2G device, but a previous activated sim will work.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    AT&T (which Freeup uses) has already discontinued 2G. I thought 3G was still active though. As far as T-Mobile goes their 2G is supposed to work through 12/31/20. However I have found that you can’t place a new T-Mobile sim in a 2G device, but a previous activated sim will work.
    Thank you for that. FU claims that 3g is the minimum, but the checker rejected the 3g number that I gave it. But this very 3g phone currently works with a FP sim, which is also AT&T. I guess I will have to wait and physically try it. Maybe it's the same as what you said about tmobile? Where an old sim still works but a brand new sim is programmed to not activate on an older phone?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    The first time I ran my AT&T iPhone 6 through their checker it rejected it too. Now, of course, it accepts it.

Carrier(s)
    Truphone, FreeUp, FreedomPop US & MX, Toggle UK, Piranha, Netzclub DE, Simyo ES, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Thank you for that. FU claims that 3g is the minimum, but the checker rejected the 3g number that I gave it. But this very 3g phone currently works with a FP sim, which is also AT&T. I guess I will have to wait and physically try it. Maybe it's the same as what you said about tmobile? Where an old sim still works but a brand new sim is programmed to not activate on an older phone?
    If the phone works with an FP LTE SIM, it will work with the FreeUP SIM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Zipy View Post
    So, the sim is now $10 + $5 shipping - $10 promo = $5. It was $2 shipping only right?
    Shipping was already $5 when I got my SIM card from them in Jan this year.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by UltGladiator View Post
    Printing coupons is an easy way to earn rewards. You can print to pdf and it nets $7.20 a month for about 20 seconds of work a day. Extra data is supposed to be $5 for 250mb and $10 for 500mb but doesn't seem to be a way to buy them. You can share rewards between accounts and there does not appear to be any limit.

Works pretty well for the low data user.

Ping and speeds seems normal like a regular att mvno. Voice is not VOIP so that is a big plus.

You get a very basic list of itemized usage. Like it says data lte 5mb, text incoming 1 text, call incoming 5 minutes.
    I hope someone can help with this since so much time has passed since the original quote.

I am trying to print coupons from the rewards app, and am using the print to pdf option that was shown the very recent youtube video from FU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8cL...WpArGe&index=5
    Everything appears correct, it asks you for the phone number to send a verification text, and you enter it and choose pdf. It shows you a preview and you check to save/download, and the message says "coupons successfully printed". But when you go to the downloads folder the pdf file is a blank page. I tried to print a standard web page from chrome to pdf and it rendered the page as shown. Is there an issue with coupons.com printing to pdf from the phone or am I doing something wrong?
    Last edited by mo832; 05-31-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just got the free plan for FreeUp to use as a backup. Works great. The only issue, which really isn't a super big deal, is that Google Voice won't work off WiFi since it requires data to initiate a call. Other than that, no complaints.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Just got the free plan for FreeUp to use as a backup. Works great. The only issue, which really isn't a super big deal, is that Google Voice won't work off WiFi since it requires data to initiate a call. Other than that, no complaints.
    It should still work over WiFi.

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I use Google Voice on several phones with expired SIMs (WiFi only) just fine (as my "house" phones). Also works fine on my Freeup phone which has the mobile data switched off.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Are youse using hangouts or something else other the phones native dialer to make & receive calls with a Google Voice number without a cellular plan? As mention is an expired SIM required for the afore mentioned to work? Thanks.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast