Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile, FtreedomPop, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Are youse using hangouts or something else other the phones native dialer to make & receive calls with a Google Voice number without a cellular plan? As mention is an expired SIM required for the afore mentioned to work? Thanks.
    No SIM needed - and I was using the beta version of the Google Voice app until recently when they rolled the incoming calls functionality into the normal version. Any old Android smartphone will work - I have a couple running KitKat. Be careful of buying prepaid phones for this use - some now won't work on WiFi without a cell plan. In the past I've paid as little as $10 for a prepaid to use on WiFi only .

For best battery life put them in Airplane mode and then enable WiFi.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Anybody running multiple "free" accounts?

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger View Post
    I have 3 of them. They must be activated on different email addresses. At first I didn't see the limit of 1 free account. I actually ordered 3 free accounts on the same order and came across the limit right before I activated them. I used different names and email when I activated them and gave one to my brother.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    No SIM needed - and I was using the beta version of the Google Voice app until recently when they rolled the incoming calls functionality into the normal version. Any old Android smartphone will work - I have a couple running KitKat. Be careful of buying prepaid phones for this use - some now won't work on WiFi without a cell plan. In the past I've paid as little as $10 for a prepaid to use on WiFi only .

For best battery life put them in Airplane mode and then enable WiFi.
    Who disables WiFi on prepaid phones? I haven't came across that yet.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    Who disables WiFi on prepaid phones? I haven't came across that yet.
    I saw at least one on Walmart.com that says that.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    I have 3 of them. They must be activated on different email addresses. At first I didn't see the limit of 1 free account. I actually ordered 3 free accounts on the same order and came across the limit right before I activated them. I used different names and email when I activated them and gave one to my brother.
    I have 2 free plans lines (accounts) in same EMail address, grandfathered. 500 TorT 100 mb plan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So overall, ppl are happy with the service? I am thinking of getting the free line for an kid.. just for emergencies and this seems a lot less of a hassle than other free services like Freedom Pop

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Are youse using hangouts or something else other the phones native dialer to make & receive calls with a Google Voice number without a cellular plan? As mention is an expired SIM required for the afore mentioned to work? Thanks.
    I'm not sure who you were asking, but no SIM is required at all. Also, either the Google Voice or Hangouts app will work for calling over WiFi with a GV #.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Even without the app (on a dumb phone), one can always call their gv # after registering the freeup #. Press 2 then dial # number you want to call. Takes a whole 20 seconds extra to do so.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Even without the app (on a dumb phone), one can always call their gv # after registering the freeup #. Press 2 then dial # number you want to call. Takes a whole 20 seconds extra to do so.
    More than 20 if you have to look up the phone number in your phone contacts. Then switch to phone app to call your GV #, press 2 and dial the number you want to call.

Much longer if you can’t retain that phone number in your head long enough to call your GV number - you have to write down the number to be called on a piece of paper before calling your GV number.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I ordered a new SIM for use on an iPad using the same email address, mailing address, and CC and all is well so far. They are sending for the $4.99 shipping charge only. I have 1 existing FREE number with them and both devices are listed in pull down account menu.
    So far, so good...

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    Just got the free plan for FreeUp to use as a backup. Works great. The only issue, which really isn't a super big deal, is that Google Voice won't work off WiFi since it requires data to initiate a call. Other than that, no complaints.
    To use wifi for Google Voice calls, you need to enable the following
    Within the "Google Voice App, "
    Settings > Making and Receiving Calls > Prefer Wifi and Mobile Data

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've ordered a second SIM using a second email address but all the same other info - we'll see if that works for a second free plan .

I still have two Lycamobile SIMs (T-Mobile) that have no monthly fees but that's rumored to change soon .
    I also have several FreedomPop phones (Sprint) and two of their hotspots (one AT&T one Sprint) that are rumored to be discontinued as free soon .
    I use all with Google Voice.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My old flip phone had a "calling card" option, which means that you can dial a number normally and then when you press send, the phone first calls a preset number. You could program in pauses as well. That used to work to automatically place outgoing calls with GV.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    My old flip phone had a "calling card" option, which means that you can dial a number normally and then when you press send, the phone first calls a preset number. You could program in pauses as well. That used to work to automatically place outgoing calls with GV.
    That's a really nice feature for a flip phone! Before I fully embraced cellular data use, I used an app called Prefixer to do the same thing on my first several smartphones, so I didn't have to turn on cellular data to make outgoing calls with my GV #.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast