Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB, iPad Pro 11" 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Unreal Mobile, Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    Who disables WiFi on prepaid phones? I haven't came across that yet.
    When I read your message I had a flashback of the days when Verizon forced smartphone manufacturers to disable WiFi radios permanently or only activate them only if the customer paid for the Verizon data plan. They saw WiFi as a competitor to their services! How screwed up is that, right? 🤯

—Kidd
    Hear me on Twitter: @alexkidd1 / Fun connection:

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    My old flip phone had a "calling card" option, which means that you can dial a number normally and then when you press send, the phone first calls a preset number. You could program in pauses as well. That used to work to automatically place outgoing calls with GV.
    He he he. I did this with my Samsung blackjack and intrepid phones.

It became annoying, though, that all incoming texts would not show the correct callers’ names because every phone number began with my GV number.

I deleted all those prefixes. It was just easier to save the “GV equivalent numbers”. My phone book is synced/transferred from iOS to Android, Blackberry, Windows phones. Having d GV equiv numbers just made it easier to dial from all fones without d GV app or without WiFi/data.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    He he he. I did this with my Samsung blackjack and intrepid phones.

It became annoying, though, that all incoming texts would not show the correct callers’ names because every phone number began with my GV number.

I deleted all those prefixes. It was just easier to save the “GV equivalent numbers”. My phone book is synced/transferred from iOS to Android, Blackberry, Windows phones. Having d GV equiv numbers just made it easier to dial from all fones without d GV app or without WiFi/data.

Agreed! Is there any easy way to export all the "GV equivalent" number? Or did you just do it manually for your frequent contacts?

And does that work for SMS too?

I'd personally love to have a flip phone for when I don't want to be bothered with my smartphone, but since my main number is GV I'm having trouble figuring how to deal with it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Quote Originally Posted by barryspar View Post
    Agreed! Is there any easy way to export all the "GV equivalent" number? Or did you just do it manually for your frequent contacts?

And does that work for SMS too?

I'd personally love to have a flip phone for when I don't want to be bothered with my smartphone, but since my main number is GV I'm having trouble figuring how to deal with it.
    I entered the “GV equiv” numbers manually for frequently called/calling contacts. I did this on MS Outlook several years ago, synced/transferred to iPhone/iOS/iCloud contacts. Then looked for/used various apps laters to copy to phones using other systems (Win, Android, Blackberry).

Yes, that works for SMS too.

To find out the “GV equiv” of any fone number, I dial the number in the GV app. App then pops up the GV equiv with a Cancel/Call button. GV app call setting must be “use carrier only” for it to pause and show that GV equiv box.

—-
    The last time I synced/updated my Samsung Blackjack II contacts was 2016. Hah! Can’t update right away because I’ve forgotten how I did it before. Have to do backreading on my notes to re-learn.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Can someone explain what a "GV equivalent number" is? For us ignorant folks .

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    Can someone explain what a "GV equivalent number" is? For us ignorant folks .
    It has also been called a GV "shadow number". Does that clear things up!?

But seriously, it's an internal phone # that GV uses in their system that is used to route phone #s. Once you get that GV "shadow number", you can direct dial or text it from a phone # registered to your GV account and it would appear to be coming from your GV #.

One way to get it was described above. Because I never used the old GV app, the way I used to do it way back when was to text somebody from the GV web interface and when the reply to my GV # was forwarded to my real cell #, the GV "shadow number" would show up in the text reply, and then I'd record it in my contacts. After that, I could call or text that contact using that GV "shadow number" using my real cellular # and it would appear to be coming from my GV #.

Carrier(s)
    RedPocket, Truphone, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    GV equivalent number:

You can "use" Google Voice with these old messaging/feature phones. Get Google Voice and use the website to setup forwarding to feature phone(s). Have someone text to your Google Voice. When it arrives on the feature phone you will see another phone number not the one from your contacts.

That number is Google's mapping from your Google Voice number to your contact number. If you call or text that number it will actually be routed to your contact. And they will see only your Google Voice number.

In my contacts list I store their actual known number and the Google mapped number. I always call the mapped number. That way a call from feature phone will use your Google Voice number. That mapped number is only good when calling/texting from a Google Voice forwarded phone.

The mapped number for each contact's phone number is the same no matter which phone you are using, as long as that phone is in your Google Voice forwarded list, and therefore should be copied into each feature phone,

I use feature phones for similar reasons that you do, long battery life, no great loss if lost

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Great info from both of you on the GV number. Thanks!!!

One other question- what does the GV shadow number look like? Is it a standard 10-digit area code/phone no. ? And if so does it have the same area code as the target number or is it a random area code?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Great info from both of you on the GV number. Thanks!!!

One other question- what does the GV shadow number look like? Is the same area code. ? And if so does it have the same area code as the target number or is it a random area code?
    It's a 10 digit phone #.
    Usually not the same area code.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It looks like maybe, thanks to this post, I just found a possible use for the AT&T Prepaid LG B470 Flip Phone that I bought for $2.99 on clearance at Walgreens on 10/4/18! I'll be looking into that possibility when I get a little extra time.
    Off Topic: Boz1, You are amazing! How do you find these incredible deals? $2.99 WOW

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G7 Power, G6, G5s+, G4+, E5+, E5, E4..
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stlink View Post
    Off Topic: Boz1, You are amazing! How do you find these incredible deals? $2.99 WOW
    Its called being in the right place at the right time. lol.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It has also been called a GV "shadow number". Does that clear things up!?

But seriously, it's an internal phone # that GV uses in their system that is used to route phone #s. Once you get that GV "shadow number", you can direct dial or text it from a phone # registered to your GV account and it would appear to be coming from your GV #.

One way to get it was described above. Because I never used the old GV app, the way I used to do it way back when was to text somebody from the GV web interface and when the reply to my GV # was forwarded to my real cell #, the GV "shadow number" would show up in the text reply, and then I'd record it in my contacts. After that, I could call or text that contact using that GV "shadow number" using my real cellular # and it would appear to be coming from my GV #.
    This was what I used to do before - have that person text me. But that doesn’t work for business people because they usually call, not text.

So, the current GV app is really good. I can dial the business phone numbers and the app shows me the GV equiv number (which I then save in my contacts).

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does anyone know exactly how the coupon points are given? They are not consistent in the description. Sometimes they say you can print "up to 7 times a day" at $.10/ea, and other times they say you can print "up to 7 coupons per day" (at .10 ea, so .70 total). If you print 7 coupons in one run, does that count as 1 time or 7 times? To get all 7, do you have to close the app and reopen 7 different instances?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Does anyone know exactly how the coupon points are given? They are not consistent in the description. Sometimes they say you can print "up to 7 times a day" at $.10/ea, and other times they say you can print "up to 7 coupons per day" (at .10 ea, so .70 total). If you print 7 coupons in one run, does that count as 1 time or 7 times? To get all 7, do you have to close the app and reopen 7 different instances?
    It's 7 coupons/day at $0.10.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It's 7 coupons/day at $0.10.
    So just to be clear, I should be able to print one sheet, with 7 coupons on the page, and not touch the rewards app for the rest of the day, and they will credit me with $0.70 in a few days?

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast