Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Device(s)
    Moto G3 (Goodbye W376!)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Freedompop, Tello
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by dudest View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I checked their homepage and you are correct. I signed up two days ago for their free 1,000 minute/text plan. Does anyone know if I am now grandfathered in, or if I will be changed to the new 250 plan when I renew my plan? My account is still showing 1000 min at this point. I think people who signed up several months ago got 100mb of data, and are they still getting this? So are free plan levels grandfathered, or will we be changed to the new 250? Thanks for any insight!
    Will post back here when I renew in a few days.

Sent from my moto e5 play using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    yes old free plans are grandfathered. freeup is good

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Fine print (literally): FREE plans are subject to offer terms at time of activation or renewal. Please check the FreeUP Mobile website from time to time for current FREE plan terms (including number of minutes of talk or text).

Is anybody naive enough to think that you'll get 1000 mins free forever?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Fine print (literally): FREE plans are subject to offer terms at time of activation or renewal. Please check the FreeUP Mobile website from time to time for current FREE plan terms (including number of minutes of talk or text).

Is anybody naive enough to think that you'll get 1000 mins free forever?
    Kinda, those on the original plan still have 500 mins and 100mb data free. Those on the 1000 min plan (me) will most likely be grand-fathered in.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for the heads up. I checked their homepage and you are correct. I signed up two days ago for their free 1,000 minute/text plan. Does anyone know if I am now grandfathered in, or if I will be changed to the new 250 plan when I renew my plan? My account is still showing 1000 min at this point. I think people who signed up several months ago got 100mb of data, and are they still getting this? So are free plan levels grandfathered, or will we be changed to the new 250? Thanks for any insight!
    I renewed this morning and kept my 1000 minute/text plan.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My renewal just popped up this morning. Stil says 1000 min. Find out for sure in a week.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    My renewal just popped up this morning. Stil says 1000 min. Find out for sure in a week.
    I believe you are grandfathered into the 1000 T/T plan, as long as you keep up the free renewal and make no changes.
    I am grandfathered into 500 T/T 100 MB plan

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >Those on the 1000 min plan (me) will most likely be grand-fathered in.

It's weird to see people running around yelling "grandfathered."

A grandfather clause means the acct is exempt from the specified change. It's normally a stated policy. A yet unchanged acct doesn't equate to exemption; it can be changed at any time. And the stated policy is clear that free accts are subjected to change.

What you're hoping of course is that FU won't apply the cuts to your acct. Hope is a fine thing, but it's not policy. Don't confuse one with the other.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

A grandfather clause means the acct is exempt from the specified change. It's normally a stated policy. A yet unchanged acct doesn't equate to exemption; it can be changed at any time. And the stated policy is clear that free accts are subjected to change.

What you're hoping of course is that FU won't apply the cuts to your acct. Hope is a fine thing, but it's not policy. Don't confuse one with the other.
    Maybe "grandfathered" is the wrong term, but I was asking if the change for new customers signing up will also apply to people with existing plans. Based on people getting to keep their 500min 1mb plans when the free plan changed to 1000min no data, I'm guessing that existing customers will get to keep their existing 1000min plans (for the time being). Of course, there is no contract and FreeUP can change things at any time. But I would guess for now they want to keep their all existing customers (so will leave their existing free plans as is) but also want to see if they can get new free customers with the more restricted 250min/text plan. Just my guess.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Maybe "grandfathered" is the wrong term, but I was asking if the change for new customers signing up will also apply to people with existing plans. Based on people getting to keep their 500min 1mb plans when the free plan changed to 1000min no data, I'm guessing that existing customers will get to keep their existing 1000min plans (for the time being). Of course, there is no contract and FreeUP can change things at any time. But I would guess for now they want to keep their all existing customers (so will leave their existing free plans as is) but also want to see if they can get new free customers with the more restricted 250min/text plan. Just my guess.
    Nice option to park a phone number for free

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Nah I'm grandfathered in to mine. Everything is subject to change.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >Based on people getting to keep their 500min 1mb plans when the free plan changed to 1000min no data, I'm guessing that existing customers will get to keep their existing 1000min plans (for the time being).

You're reaching. The two plans above aren't that different from each other, so reprovisioning accts isn't likely to be worth the effort. The new 250 plan however is a large step down, and if FU were serious about cutting costs--which it well should because its rev is zero--then leaving thousands of 1K accts unchanged is counterproductive. You're hoping for incompetence, which may well be the case, as FU at this point is hemorraging money with zero income. But just as hope isn't policy, it also isn't reason.

>But I would guess for now they want to keep their all existing customers (so will leave their existing free plans as is)

I get this a lot from FreedomPop users. They think that somehow non-paying users (read: freeloaders) are actually worth something, and should be catered to. Reality: They (we) aren't worth zip. FP has continually abused its userbase until the end. Each time, much moaning and lamentation arose, but the vast majority continue to bend over for "free." Which is fine. There's no stigma to freeloading, but understand that you are not a customer, and you don't merit consideration. Good will doesn't apply to non-paying users.

As with FP, FU users won't bail when their allotment is cut. They've committed their $5, and even more than FP, FU peeps will stick it out to the bitter end. Just as people love free, they hate to lose money.

>Nice option to park a phone number for free

Pretty stupid to port a number you value into a free service with zero support and zero reliability. It's amazing how "free" can blind people into thinking it's some sort of cure-all.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What is amazing is how much thought some people put into this. Free is free. Whether it's 500, 250, or 1000, it's free. i'm not paying anything for is so I don't get to call the shots. If they ended the free accounts tomorrow, I'd be okay with that because it didn't, hasn't, and won't cost me anything.
    Last edited by DB/SB; 07-06-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by DB/SB View Post
    What is amazing is how much thought some people put into this. Free is free. Whether it's 500, 250, or 1000, it's free. i'm not paying anything for is so I don't get to call the shots. If they ended the free accounts tomorrow, I'd be okay with that because it didn't, hasn't, and won't cost me anything.
    I totally agree. It amazes me how they are even able to offer free real cellular service with no ads. 250 is more than generous for many people's needs. Having said that, I just renewed my monthly 1000 plan today so seems like the 250 is for new customers. I'm just thankful for the free service and when it ends, whether it be tomorrow or a year from now, I'll look at it as a free service that was beneficial and will be thankful to FreeUp for whatever amount of time I have this plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I've noticed that I've never used more than 200 talk/text anyway.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast