Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I got FreeUP SIM, inserted it into T-Mobile unlocked phone (LTE Bands 2,4, 12; 3G bands 2,4) and it worked without IMEI registration on FreeUP account page (FreeUP does not accept IMEI of "T-Mobile only" branded phones like my Samsung Galaxy Avant).

Everything works (voice, text, data) as expected. I was able to register this IMEI with FreeUP (not clear why should I register it at all) day after the SIM was inserted into the phone.

I was not able to run FreeUP International Dialing app: I installed it but when I got error "number does not exist" or something like this.
    Anyway I am not going to use this phone for international dialing and I am not going to run "FreeUP offers app" (forgot the name).

You can register Whatsapp and Viber with FreeUP/AT&T phone number (it is impossible with FreedomPop VoiP number).

The fact that you get free 500 mins of voice calls (not VoiP) is very impressive. This SIM definitely can be used as backup phone or if you do not want to show your main phone number on sites like Craiglist.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I got FreeUP SIM, inserted it into T-Mobile unlocked phone (LTE Bands 2,4, 12; 3G bands 2,4) and it worked without IMEI registration on FreeUP account page (FreeUP does not accept IMEI of "T-Mobile only" branded phones like my Samsung Galaxy Avant).

Everything works (voice, text, data) as expected. I was able to register this IMEI with FreeUP (not clear why should I register it at all) day after the SIM was inserted into the phone.

I was not able to run FreeUP International Dialing app: I installed it but when I got error "number does not exist" or something like this.
    Anyway I am not going to use this phone for international dialing and I am not going to run "FreeUP offers app" (forgot the name).

You can register Whatsapp and Viber with FreeUP/AT&T phone number (it is impossible with FreedomPop VoiP number).

The fact that you get free 500 mins of voice calls (not VoiP) is very impressive. This SIM definitely can be used as backup phone or if you do not want to show your main phone number on sites like Craiglist.
    Thanks for this report!

Are there online records of phone calls, texts, and data usage?

Device(s)
    Pixel3XL, Pixel3, Pixel2XL, s9+, s8+, Atom, Axon 7, MoFi, etc
    Carrier(s)
    VZW, Google Fi, Xfinity Mobile, TMO, RP/vzw/att/tmo, Tello, Tru, eKit
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Other than the $1.99 free SIM shipping charge (and associated taxes/fees on it - if any) you should never need a credit card. Best I can tell you are required to have a credit card on file. As previously mentioned, at least they are taking virtual cards at the moment.

Here is a little detail that I have not seen mentioned.) Any plan change requires you to pay for it from your credit card, and then renewals to that plan come out of your balance. What??? You *should* be able to use your reward balance. Reminds me kinda of RingPlus, and not bringing back the feelings of good times.
    "Reward dollars are automatically applied at the end of each billing cycle. If you want to change your plan, you will need to pay the full amount for the first billing cycle. Your reward dollars will automatically be applied at the end of the next billing cycle"
    --
    CellGuru

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    From what I could understand from their FAQs(https://www.freeupmobile.com/support/faqs), the International Dialing app is not available on the free plan:

"Will I be able to use the FreeUP Talk app on the Free Plan?
    No. FreeUP Talk and Global Calling & Messaging is only available on FreeUP Mobile Unlimited Global Calling plans."

Regarding their rewards app, I don't know for sure but their FAQs state that you need to take at least one action per month in order to maintain the free plan:

"Remember to log into the Rewards app and take one action at least once a month in order to maintain your Free Plan."

About the number, WhatsApp now accepts Google Voice numbers, so maybe they now accept Freedompop's numbers too. Not the case of Uber though. The true non Voip based number of FreeUp is for sure a better bet.

I will try to active mine today if I have the time.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    (FreeUP does not accept IMEI of "T-Mobile only" branded phones like my Samsung Galaxy Avant).
    This info has me concerned. I haven't activated my FreeUP sim yet. I plan to use it with an unlocked MetroPCS phone. Will I run into problems during activation? Are there any special things to keep in mind regarding activation in light of the above? Should I just skip entering the IMEI and also skip the activation on my account page? Thank you for your advice!

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just activated mine. The setup/activation is quick and easy, and on my iPhone 5S both 3G and LTE connections work(not a LTE only plan).

During the process you must add your device's IMEI(or it will not activate), but I believe that's more to access the compatibility than to lock it up to just one device. There is an option to change the device, so in case you buy a new one is an easy process.

So far so good and everything is without a hitch(500mins of non voip calls is indeed nice). Just went to the rewards app and it's a bit of a mess in iOS interface wise, but I guess will do the job. Will try to see how these rewards work and how I can use them to maybe get more data(100MB is a little short). Looks great for a backup/second phone.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    What exactly happens when you hit 100MB limit. Is data disconnected? Do the charge extra for each additional MB?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Audigy View Post
    From what I could understand from their FAQs(https://www.freeupmobile.com/support/faqs), the International Dialing app is not available on the free plan:

"Will I be able to use the FreeUP Talk app on the Free Plan?
    No. FreeUP Talk and Global Calling & Messaging is only available on FreeUP Mobile Unlimited Global Calling plans."

Regarding their rewards app, I don't know for sure but their FAQs state that you need to take at least one action per month in order to maintain the free plan:

"Remember to log into the Rewards app and take one action at least once a month in order to maintain your Free Plan."

About the number, WhatsApp now accepts Google Voice numbers, so maybe they now accept Freedompop's numbers too. Not the case of Uber though. The true non Voip based number of FreeUp is for sure a better bet.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Also
    Remember to log into the Rewards app and take one action at least once a month in order to maintain your Free Plan.
    may be the reason for providing and registering IMEI with FreeUP account.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Printing coupons is an easy way to earn rewards. You can print to pdf and it nets $7.20 a month for about 20 seconds of work a day. Extra data is supposed to be $5 for 250mb and $10 for 500mb but doesn't seem to be a way to buy them. You can share rewards between accounts and there does not appear to be any limit.

Works pretty well for the low data user.

Ping and speeds seems normal like a regular att mvno. Voice is not VOIP so that is a big plus.

You get a very basic list of itemized usage. Like it says data lte 5mb, text incoming 1 text, call incoming 5 minutes.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    This info has me concerned. I haven't activated my FreeUP sim yet. I plan to use it with an unlocked MetroPCS phone. Will I run into problems during activation? Are there any special things to keep in mind regarding activation in light of the above? Should I just skip entering the IMEI and also skip the activation on my account page? Thank you for your advice!
    Algorithm is following:

1. Add any IMEI that accepted by FU. It may or may not accept T-Mobile phones but you can try. If if IMEI is not compatible, the system asks "Are you sure you want to use it?". Answer "Yes". In my case, after my "Yes" the system printed some weird error and did not accept the number, but it could be temporary problem.

2. Insert FU SIM into any phone that works with AT&T (unlocked T-Mobile/MetroPCS phones with 3G Band 850 MHz are OK).
    3. Activate your SIM using activation code and set up PIN code (no idea why you need it).
    4. At this point you can use your FU SIM for calls, sms and data.
    5. Wait one day and change IMEI to IMEI of your actual phone, if you used temporary/fake IMEI at step 1.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    set up PIN code (no idea why you need it).
    PIN is used to log into the app

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by UltGladiator View Post
    Printing coupons is an easy way to earn rewards. You can print to pdf and it nets $7.20 a month for about 20 seconds of work a day.
    It is not 20 secs, but about 1 mins. Second, coupon printing requires "mobile number for verification" and I do nit like this idea. Third, video views do not generate FU "points" or "rewards". I do not care but, at least, does it count as "activity" for maintaining free account?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Certainly make for a nice glove box phone for emergencies as long as the deal lasts. Free never seems to be forever.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It is not 20 secs, but about 1 mins. Second, coupon printing requires "mobile number for verification" and I do nit like this idea. Third, video views do not generate FU "points" or "rewards". I do not care but, at least, does it count as "activity" for maintaining free account?
    Printing doesn't require verification after the first time. They just send you a code that is all. Coupons are via coupons.com which is as safe as they come as far as coupon printing is concerned. It takes me 20 seconds to print a coupon after the first one. If it takes you longer then well what can I say I am either super speedy or you are a slow poke.

Yes videos do generate rewards. How do I know? I have received credit. Don't make me post a screenshot for a 1 cent video.

The main issue I have with freeup is that it takes up to 5 days for credit to post after you complete a reward. Maybe that is why you are not seeing video credits.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by nox555 View Post
    What exactly happens when you hit 100MB limit. Is data disconnected? Do the charge extra for each additional MB?
    Can active users help out with this question? Do they force to you to top off with the on file credit card or not if you use up the free 100MB? The data plan is expensive for top offs. Thanks for the input!!!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast