Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FreeUP Mobile - has anyone tried their free plan?

In anticipation of FreedomPop charging admin fees on the free plan soon, I'm considering switching to FreeUP Mobile. I really like that their calls are cellular, not VOIP, so should work for Uber, Lyft, etc. Has anyone tried their free plan? Is it really free, i.e. no taxes/fees? I believe fees are mandatory in California; I live in Chicago.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    http://google.com/search?q=freeup+mobile+review

https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/freeup-mobile

http://nthcircle.com/forum/cellnuvo/...he-competition

It's basically a CellNuvo clone. You play a keyboard monkey in doing surveys/printing coupons/clicking ads everyday to get "credits." SIM is $10 on Amazon or from website.
    This is not correct. SIM Cards are free minus a $1.99 shipping charge. You get them free with the free plan directly from the FreeUP Mobile website.

What you see on Amazon has not been updated yet.

This is not a CellNUVO clone. Subscribers get free service every month. There is no need to be a "keyboard monkey" to get free service. However, if you'd like your free plan to have more minutes etc, you can either pay as little as $5/month to add more minutes, texts or data or use the rewards app. You do have to login to the rewards app once a month and click on something to maintain the free plan. That interaction takes seconds.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Haven't used them. But I like that taxes & fees are included & that it uses the AT&T network.

Do you have to download the FreeUP Mobile app if you just want to pay for a plan?
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    >This is not a CellNUVO clone. Subscribers get free service every month.

It was a CN clone until probably a few days ago, when the free plan showed up. Abovementioned NthCircile thread was 4 months old. Below thread has 1.5-month old post that mentioned appearance of $15 plan, and 1-day-old post that mentioned freebie plan.

https://www.nthcircle.com/forum/free...p-mobile#26230

To sum, FU is a work-in-progress. The op is still trying to figure out a workable biz model, when its original keyboard-monkey (read: CN) model didn't get traction. What that translates to is that the freebie will likely be similarly short-lived. If FP can't make "free" work with cheapo VoIP, I doubt FU will be any more successful. The hope of course is that FU will be slow-footed enough to take some time to figure it out, like FP was. But given FU's frequent plan changes, I doubt that too.

Some NthCircle peeps are trying it, so those interested can just follow above thread. Or you can take the plunge yourself and find out firsthand.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    But given FU's frequent plan changes, I doubt that too.
    All they have done is made the $10 plan that was available since launch into free. Not saying your conclusions are not valid as it is hard to sustain a free plan with any kind of generous non voip mins/data. I guess they hope people will use the reward app a lot and/or upgrade the plan once they try it out. 100mb is small so that should help. I think there was a big impediment with having to pay a monthly fee to an unknown mvno so this is probably a good move by freeup if they can sustain it.

I plan to try it out. For only $1.99 shipping for the sim it isn't a big deal if it sucks. Someone has been using it for 5 months according to that nthcircle thread and has given it the thumbs up.
    Last edited by UltGladiator; 11-24-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sounds like a great idea for a phone to use on Craigslist etc,
    Do they get picky on which phone you use.
    2g , 3g , 4g , LTE ....
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

FreeUP Mobile - Has Anyone Tried Their Free Plan?

It looks like this is on AT&T, correct?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I tried to validate IMEI for my new account (SIM card not arrived yet) and it looks like after successful validation IMEI added to my account without any way to remove it.

Does it mean that I can use FreeUP SIM card only on this phone (similar to MetroPCS) or I just need activate SIM in this phone and, after this, the SIM can be used in any AT&T compatible phone (3G band 850 MHz for voice calls and SMS, corresponding LTE bands for data)?

Update: I found the way to change registered device: https://www.freeupmobile.com/account/manage-devices

It looks like MetroPCS approach with registering IMEI. But, while in case of MetroPCS it can be explained by its CDMA past where device linked to account and no SIM card, I do not understand why FreeUP that pure "GSM provider" (not exactly GSM because there is no 2G on AT&T network anymore) uses same approach of linking IMEI to SIM. It is not so bad as Tracfone's "marriage" of device and SIM, but it is still annoying.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    It looks like this is on AT&T, correct?
    Correct. FreeUP Mobile uses AT&T network. Remember, if you want to use non-AT&T branded unlocked phone. your phone must have 3G Band 850 MHz (Band 5) for voice calls because it is unlikely that FreeUP supports VoLTE on non-AT&T branded phones (and I doubt that FreeUP supports VoLTE at all).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It looks like maybe, thanks to this post, I just found a possible use for the AT&T Prepaid LG B470 Flip Phone that I bought for $2.99 on clearance at Walgreens on 10/4/18! I'll be looking into that possibility when I get a little extra time.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    It looks like maybe, thanks to this post, I just found a possible use for the AT&T Prepaid LG B470 Flip Phone that I bought for $2.99 on clearance at Walgreens on 10/4/18! I'll be looking into that possibility when I get a little extra time.
    That's a great price! I have an unreasonable fondness for flip phones, so I looked this one up and BestBuy says it's a smartphone - "This smartphone comes with enhanced audio mode.." https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-pr...?skuId=5444000 Weird, huh!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    That's a great price! I have an unreasonable fondness for flip phones, so I looked this one up and BestBuy says it's a smartphone - "This smartphone comes with enhanced audio mode.." https://www.bestbuy.com/site/at-t-pr...?skuId=5444000 Weird, huh!
    bestbuy.com is full of wrong info. They really need to fire someone and start over with their product descriptions!

Device(s)
    samsung sch-i760
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I have a question that I have not seen mentioned before. Although the basic plan is free, do they charge tax and fees each month?? Or is it totally free each month?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Sure you could use GV for that purpose. Since you only care about texting without using FreeUp's texting, another option would be a whole plethora of messaging apps such as WhatsApp that uses very little data if you just use it for messaging.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Just received their SIM card on the mail. They request a CC during initial setup so far to charge $1.99+tax to mail the SIM, but awkwardly they don't state that during the process, they just charge it and that's it. No tracking either. For the most skeptical they accept virtual cards, fortunately.

I will activate the SIM and will give feedback soon.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast