Thread: iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.1, eSIM & Bell

Feedback Score

iPhone XS Max with iOS 12.1, eSIM & Bell

I phoned Bell today who directed me to instructions on how to activate the eSIM. I'm somewhat confused as I want to activate my current rate plan on the eSIM thereby allowing me to have the SIM slot free to use my Freedom Mobile SIM or an international SIM card while travelling.

This technology is somewhat new and I think the representative may be confused as to their explanation of this technology. I'm advised that I cannot activate my current rate plan on the eSIM and I must scan the QR code sent to me and once scanned, I'll be provided with a list of current in-market rate plans which I must select. They stated it will activate the eSIM as a secondary line but my primary line (the physical SIM card) must also be in the phone and active with Bell.

Should this be the case, it completely defeats the purpose! I thought this was a benefit as I could use my current rate plan on the eSIM and an alternate carriers SIM while travelling abroad. Has anyone got this working with Bell as the eSIM carrier thereby having the SIM card tray available for alternate sims?

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    I think the rep probably is confused. I believe the intention of eSIM is for the primary line. Bell on the other hand is likely using the technology to leverage you into a new plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    You are supposed to self activate
    https://support.bell.ca/mobility/sma...=2#displayStep

Rep is correct eSIM REQUIRES a new rate plan (since eSIM MUST be a BYOD plan; you presumably have a contract for the new iPhone)
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmccull View Post
    I think the rep probably is confused. I believe the intention of eSIM is for the primary line. Bell on the other hand is likely using the technology to leverage you into a new plan.
    Nope since eSIM can NEVER be on contract, eSIM will not be primary line

Feedback Score
    The eSIM self activation no longer works. Bell should be amending this and putting a disclaimer as such! When you scan the QR code, the response received is error activating. As for eSIM, you must be off-contract or on a BYOP plan as they will not transfer a device subsidy line onto an eSIM. Curious as to why, it's simple... Bell said an eSIM allows users more control over the account so if unhappy, they can effectively cancel by activating new service on the eSIM through another carrier thereby not allowing Bell to retain the customer through loyalty offers. Although no other carrier to my knowledge allows eSIM in Canada, you can technically activate a pre-paid service through an International carrier and let it close out after 30 days. Although I cannot see someone wanting to doing this, many people don't want to waste their time bouncing through multiple divisions listening to a bunch of rhetoric as to why they should stay with their carrier etc... I could see a select few people who, if were on contract through eSIM and unhappy, instead of calling their primary carrier, they would simply port to prepaid with another company and pay their final bill with subsidy liability.

Bell said they have full intention of allowing primary service on an eSIM but the conditions are it's a month to month or BYOP plan. They said at the moment, there is an issue in their systems with eSIM due to the fact this is a new technology released by Apple in September. Based on Apple being tight-lipped about features, Bell said they were not aware of eSIM until the release, encountered issues and are working on a resolution. They said as long as the above criteria is met for month to month/BYOP plan, we should be able to migrate services by mid December if all goes well. Hope this holds true!