Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: FreeUp's free plan with GoogleVoice for texts - how to make it work?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0

    FreeUp's free plan with GoogleVoice for texts - how to make it work?

    I am a sucker for anything free so FreeUp's new free plan has gotten me thinking.
    They give 500 talk or text, and 100mb for free.
    So my idea is to use the 500 free for talk only, and use the 100mb for GoogleVoice texts. (Since each text requires just a few Kb, there's virtually unlimited texts to be had with 100mb).

    The big question is - will GoogleVoice let me use it just for texts? Or will it insist on having me make phone calls through it too? In other words, is it possible to keep texting and calling separate on GV, and use it only to text?

    Thanks for your thoughts and experiences, folks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can make normal cell circuit phone calls though Google voice, you just need to register that number in the app . If you don't want text forwarding, just don't select it.. That's how I have mine set up with net10 (at&t).

    Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    GV won't "insist" on anything, but here's the potential rub for you: What telephone number are you going to have people call you on? Or text you on?

    Are you going to obtain your GV number and publicize that to your contacts for them to get in touch with you?

    When people call or text a GV number, that event can either be forwarded to your cell (or any other number) or not.

    If you don't forward your incoming texts to your phone number, you can be notified of them and pick them up and reply through email means or obviously just the GV app itself, using a data connection (Cellular or Wi-Fi).

    With that (slim) amount of available data, you'll have to be organized in how you set up your phone to keep routine operations from slurping that up, when you want it mainly to enable your access to GV and message management.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    GV won't "insist" on anything, but here's the potential rub for you: What telephone number are you going to have people call you on? Or text you on?
    Are you going to obtain your GV number and publicize that to your contacts for them to get in touch with you?
    Actually that won't be a problem. My usage is VERY low. Only one person calls and/or texts me. So no problems there - I'll just tell them to call on my FreeUp number and send texts to my GV number. I will text back using the GV app.

    So basically I need GV to handle my texts for me, and leave my phone calls alone. Is that do-able? Or will there be glitches?

    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    When people call or text a GV number, that event can either be forwarded to your cell (or any other number) or not.
    If you don't forward your incoming texts to your phone number, you can be notified of them and pick them up and reply through email means or obviously just the GV app itself, using a data connection (Cellular or Wi-Fi).
    With that (slim) amount of available data, you'll have to be organized in how you set up your phone to keep routine operations from slurping that up, when you want it mainly to enable your access to GV and message management.
    Keeping a tight lockdown on data usage won't be a problem. I do that right now with my Tracfone account, where I use GV for calls+text. I have set up a very tight firewall. I have used barely 500mb of my data over 11 months, so I can call myself a pro at saving data! (And I don't use TF's native minutes/texts so almost my entire minute+text buckets are unused.)

    So basically, can GV be set up to handle ONLY texts?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    You can make normal cell circuit phone calls though Google voice, you just need to register that number in the app . If you don't want text forwarding, just don't select it.. That's how I have mine set up with net10 (at&t).
    Sent from my LGL63BL using HoFo mobile app
    I actually want the opposite. I need GV to handle my texts for me, and leave my phone calls alone. The phone calls will be through my FreeUp number. The texts will be through GV. At least that's what I want to accomplish to get free service!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,199
    Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'd say the answer is an unequivocal yes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I actually want the opposite. I need GV to handle my texts for me, and leave my phone calls alone. The phone calls will be through my FreeUp number. The texts will be through GV. At least that's what I want to accomplish to get free service!!
    If I have this correct, you're going used your freeup#? For outgoing/incoming calls and your gv number for incoming/outgoing texts?

    If that's the case you don't need to even register any phone number, all you need is the gv app and you're done, you send and receive texts in that app with you gv number, the gv widget is pretty good at notifications.

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    With a few texts in and out every day my tablet says the app has used 31mb over the last 30 days.

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    770
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I am a sucker for anything free so FreeUp's new free plan has gotten me thinking.
    They give 500 talk or text, and 100mb for free.
    So my idea is to use the 500 free for talk only, and use the 100mb for GoogleVoice texts. (Since each text requires just a few Kb, there's virtually unlimited texts to be had with 100mb).

    The big question is - will GoogleVoice let me use it just for texts? Or will it insist on having me make phone calls through it too? In other words, is it possible to keep texting and calling separate on GV, and use it only to text?

    Thanks for your thoughts and experiences, folks.
    Based on your limited usage, it might be more convenient for you to register your FreeUp number with GV, and then in the app not forward texts to that number. This way the person/people who call you/text you can do so to the same number (your GV number). The calls will ring through to the phone (and thus count against your allowance), and the texts will only go to the GV app (which will use only data, and a minimal amount of that).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Based on your limited usage, it might be more convenient for you to register your FreeUp number with GV, and then in the app not forward texts to that number. This way the person/people who call you/text you can do so to the same number (your GV number). The calls will ring through to the phone (and thus count against your allowance), and the texts will only go to the GV app (which will use only data, and a minimal amount of that).
    Here specifically said he wants to use the carrier sim phone number for calls..

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Here specifically said he wants to use the carrier sim phone number for calls..
    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Yes, that's the plan. The reason I don't want GV for calls is that from what I understand, calls use up a lot more data than texts. So I'm figuring if GV intercepts my calls, I'll use up my 100mb much too quickly. So the plan is to use the FreeUp number for calls since I get 500 minutes. And the GV number only for texts. Yeah, my head is starting to spin, just thinking about it! The things I'm willing to do, to get service for free!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Yes, that's the plan. The reason I don't want GV for calls is that from what I understand, calls use up a lot more data than texts. So I'm figuring if GV intercepts my calls, I'll use up my 100mb much too quickly. So the plan is to use the FreeUp number for calls since I get 500 minutes. And the GV number only for texts. Yeah, my head is starting to spin, just thinking about it! The things I'm willing to do, to get service for free!!
    GV calls can use your cell minutes or data... Do you have the Google voice app downloaded?... Basically Google voice can be set to use your gv number, but use your actual cell minutes, or it can strictly use data.. It's your choice.

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,498
    Feedback Score
    0
    GV calls forwarded to your cell number don't use any amount of data, in fact I routinely have data completely turned off and and can still send and receive texts and calls because it's forwarded though Google voice, the only way you'll use any data is if you strictly use the Google voice app for texting.... If you don't mind having texts forwarded, they'll also come out of your normal carrier text bucket and technically you wouldn't need the gv app at all... You can also chose to have gv send you a text when you get a voicemail on your gv number... All of this requires no data, it just depends on how much of that 500 talk/text you plan on using.

    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    119
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    GV calls forwarded to your cell number don't use any amount of data, in fact I routinely have data completely turned off and and can still send and receive texts and calls because it's forwarded though Google voice, the only way you'll use any data is if you strictly use the Google voice app for texting.... If you don't mind having texts forwarded, they'll also come out of your normal carrier text bucket and technically you wouldn't need the gv app at all... You can also chose to have gv send you a text when you get a voicemail on your gv number... All of this requires no data, it just depends on how much of that 500 talk/text you plan on using.
    Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Aah, I had forgotten about this GoogleVoice quirk - that it can use cell minutes. So let's see, I'm going to think aloud and try to figure out the best way to go about this -
    - FreeUp gives me 500 minutes OR texts. And 100mb data.
    - My texting volume tends to be much higher than my calling volume, so I don't want to eat into the 500 with texts.
    - Which means I should use GV to send and receive texts, without forwarding the texts to my FreeUp number.
    - So the texts will go to my GV number, and I'll need data always on, so that I can send and receive texts.
    - Now if I use GV and forward GV calls to my FreeUp number, it looks like data won't get used much - is that right?
    - In which case, things get simpler - just use my GV number for both calls and texts -- forward calls to FreeUp number, but don't forward texts.

    Please tell me if the above will work. I won't exceed my 100mb with the above setup, will I? Thanks a bunch for more insights and input!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    770
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    0
    What you describe above is what I was suggesting. Use the data for texting via the GV app (so it won't cost towards your 500 combined minutes/actual text message). But let the calls ring through the GV# (and if using Android you can use the native dialer to make calls).

    This way the people calling/texting you only need to remember one number -- not a separate number for calls and texts.

    You'll need to remember to use GV for texting and not the native texting app.

    If you've disabled all of the other data using apps/features/notifications, you should be able to get by on 100MB of cell data.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 06:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-07-2009, 02:35 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2006, 03:59 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 01:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks